What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Nutrients are you running 2019?

LostTribe

Premium user
Hey Lost, ive only got one good run in since I bought a 25# bag of each part A and B at the beginning of last summer, so Ill be running it for a few years at the least. Shipping was $50 but im happy, $155 for 50#s directly from Jacks. I grew all my veggies in coco with the same 3-2-1 mix too. I did an outdoor RDWC scrogged greenhouse run and it was healthy as can be, veggies all produced well too. Barely used any epsoms, mostly with the veggies.

Its so easy I just add scoops of a and b to 2 different water jugs, shake it up, and use my TDS meter to adjust my target ratios by PPM. No messing around and measuring by weight. I could pre measure my stock mixes out and know how many PPMs i'll get per gallon by how many mils I add, but its to easy to just use my meter lol.

Id say thats the best part is being able to change the ratios with more or less calnit depending on what stage of growth compared to running seperate grow and bloom dry nutrients.

Say im vegging and my target is 500 ppm, i just add the 5-12-26 until I hit 300, then too it off with cal-nit until its at 500.

For 600: 360 ppms part A, and 240 of B.

They have new formulations too for different water sources and growth stages
@ jacksnutrients.com, but not much info on anyone using them yet...

Hmmm I wasn't aware they made an A and B formula only seen the hydroponic and cal nit are you using the other brand of cal nit? Heard it was better for some reason. What about Magnesium? Is that what you are using epsom for then?

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
yep same thing my ppm meter probably 20 years old finally shit the bed and I had no idea so after a year I noticed that the calmag at 5ml was way off. Plants never really looked like something was wrong other than slow veg. I bet they were way over 2000ppm.

Now I got a blue lab ec/tds and it seems nice. Had the BL ph for a bit and love it.

Are you just using

5ml calmag+
15ml PBP bloom

no liquid Karma?

Hope you are doing well bud.

Best,
LT

Not sure the exact ml in bloom, since I’m making 24 gallons at a time.
My starting tap water is 100ppm. I add calmag in first until it reads 400ppm. I then add the PBP Soil version until it reads around 1230ppm. Then add pH up. Usually ends up around 1280ppm. And my ppm readings are on the 700 scale like botanicare suggest.

In veg though, I’m using

5ml calmag
10ml PBP Soil

After pHing, it usually reads around 1050ppm

And I haven’t used LK in a couple years. I actually stopped using any other additive, other than Z7 in the bloom res. I started mixing in dry amendments into the Happy Frog soil on the final transplant instead.
:tiphat:

Drop That Sound

Ya part A is the hydro 5-12-26 (FeED) and part B is the CAL-NIT (BOOST). I'm using their brand but heard others been subbing with other cal nit brands to save a few bucks, with no noticeable difference..

I was only using half the recommended dose of epsoms every other res change, some say it's not really needed at all, as there is already enough magnesium without supplementing.

I thought about ordering small bags of the new Bloom and Finish formulas, but just the part A and B 3-2-1 method seems to work awesome.

The A and B were reformulated around April-May last year as well, many of the people running Jacks are still using the older bags that are probably slightly different. The cal nit is 15-0-0 now where as the older bags is 15.5-0-0 for example.

They also have clone food, and other formula's just for RO water, and even one for Tap water too. Oh and one called Ultraviolet, just for boosting veg to flower transition with extra P.

I have tons of old supplements to use up that I'll probably give away now, because I really didn't see a need to add anything extra. I'll probably go back to using a bit of silica and that's it, soon as I get my new indoor setup going again.

Almost bought my first bag of maxigrow, but then found some 2 part sample bottles in the back of my nute cabinet to hold me over till my jacks order showed up. I wasn't gonna spend money on water ever again. I used to love aquaflakes but probably cause I got 10 free liters of it that lasted me awhile. Dry nutes for the win, and Jacks has treated me well all last summer-fall.

LostTribe

Premium user
Not sure the exact ml in bloom, since I’m making 24 gallons at a time.
My starting tap water is 100ppm. I add calmag in first until it reads 400ppm. I then add the PBP Soil version until it reads around 1230ppm. Then add pH up. Usually ends up around 1280ppm. And my ppm readings are on the 700 scale like botanicare suggest.

In veg though, I’m using

5ml calmag
10ml PBP Soil

After pHing, it usually reads around 1050ppm

And I haven’t used LK in a couple years. I actually stopped using any other additive, other than Z7 in the bloom res. I started mixing in dry amendments into the Happy Frog soil on the final transplant instead.
:tiphat:

How do you go off the 700 scale? I have a blue lab pen and it calibrates at 400 and 700 I think.

Wow, that is a lot of Calmag after starting out at w tap. I thought they used to recommend 250-285 ppm. I never really go that high with the ppm's with the hydro blend. 800 veg- 1400 bloom.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
How do you go off the 700 scale? I have a blue lab pen and it calibrates at 400 and 700 I think.

Wow, that is a lot of Calmag after starting out at w tap. I thought they used to recommend 250-285 ppm. I never really go that high with the ppm's with the hydro blend. 800 veg- 1400 bloom.

I just switch my blu lab combo meter to read the 700 scale. The nutrient side of it (it also measures pH) never has to be calibrated, just cleaned. It can read ec, 500 (tds), or 700.

And in my setup, my plants love calmag. They could probably take more. Keep in mind, I’m in soil too. And the plants are under 2000w and are vegged 7 weeks....sometimes longer. After the stretch, most are usually 5 ft tall. That’s with the 5 gallon container. On top of all that, a lot of plants are closer than 18in from the bulb. So them bitches be hungry AF! :biglaugh:

packerfan79

Veteran
Has anyone tried vegmatrix? In coco? I have been on n a veg and bloom kick, but it's hard to flush, took 20 days to get the fade on last round. One of my frosted cherry cookies is not as happy as I would like. I want to get away from the salts.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've used Vegamatrix in soil and it worked well, have never run it in coco. I've run PBP and CNS17 in coco and they did a good job.

Currently playing with:

Advanced Sensi Coco A/B - grow and bloom, Big Bud Coco, Overdrive
CX Horticulture - Coco A/B (very low heavy metals)
Canna Coco A/B (very low heavy metals)
HESI Boost (amazing resin production)
Green Planet Liquid W8, Massive (both awesome)
Mammoth P (massive flowers and density)
Tribus Microbes (great root growth and plant wellness)

-Funk

LostTribe

Premium user
I just switch my blu lab combo meter to read the 700 scale. The nutrient side of it (it also measures pH) never has to be calibrated, just cleaned. It can read ec, 500 (tds), or 700.

And in my setup, my plants love calmag. They could probably take more. Keep in mind, I’m in soil too. And the plants are under 2000w and are vegged 7 weeks....sometimes longer. After the stretch, most are usually 5 ft tall. That’s with the 5 gallon container. On top of all that, a lot of plants are closer than 18in from the bulb. So them bitches be hungry AF! :biglaugh:

Oh shit I thought you went to hydro (hydro forum), have to see more info on the 700 scale...

AH HAAAAAA GREAT SCOTT!!!!!

new tech has 2 different settings for the conversion from ec to tds. You are supposed to use the same scale setting for which scale your nutrient brand used manufacturing the nutrient line.

Hmmm. 20 years ago I don't recall any of this. Did see botanicare are using 700 scale. Wonder what GH maxi grow and bloom are? Also supposed to be a way to set my pen. Maybe this is why I am having deficiency right now on a side note.

LT

Was a Lucas grower for years but switched to Jack's Hydro about two seasons ago and have seen dramatic impressive results. I'm a big fan of Jack's now.

Also use Calcium Nitrate and CalMag. CalMag is a terrific suppliment that seems to iron out so many issues.

I also like using some myco in the res. Great White from my experience is the best but it's super expensive. I've tinkered with cheaper brands but Great White really is the best thing I've seen in this arena.

Also a homemade foilar spray. ;)

As I've gotten older, I've simplified my regiment tremendously but I should probably starting experimenting with new additives again.

Jacks's 3-2-1 over here, city water at 120 ppm after mixing comes in about 1000-1100 ppm with 6.1 to 6.2 ph. Run it all the way from veg to flower. Gotta be one of the simplest and most value based products out there. Like the post above I use Great White also, seems to really boost the root zone.

Spaventa

Veteran
This year I’m going guerilla outdoors and will be watering Metrop in. No digging or mixing powders or hoping they become bioavailable.
I used it years ago before I went aeroponic and I’m looking forward to using the latest versions which are said to be even better now. I will be getting mine direct from their uk distributor via my mates shop, as there are fakes about.

Budimus

I think still gonna run Canna Aqua vega, flores and pk 13/14 but been searching some good, easy and cheap nutrients to nft but hard decide when have so many possibilites these days. :)

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
You will not go wrong with Canna. I've tested or used a lot of base fertilizers over the years. Canna is so well thought out and simple.

-Funk