What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
"Many things grow in the garden that were never sown there."
~Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

tsH2MF3.jpg

Cyrenian coins with Silphium seed and plant

The Plant that was fucked from existence

Much like the old saying "take that frown and turn it upside down" same can be said about the modern day symbol of love. Like all of histories tails even the story of love can be a little bit seedy...

In almost every culture around the world, the Heart is accepted as the modern day symbol of love. This symbol had much more of a sexual tone at its origin starting with turning the heart upside down. This is the first use of the heart shape only as a representation of the seed of the Silphium plant.

Thought to have been in the fennel family, this plant was worth its weight in coin. Why? It was used for many things in the ancient world like spices, medicine and a well loved drink but the ancient use as a birth control is thought to be at the heart of the plants demise....

The Silphium seed(modern day shape of the heart) was originally dipicted 180 degree's from present depiction. This made for a much more womanly type shape hinting at the much loved use for the silphium plants resin called "Lazer", birth control.

650383.jpg

tetradrachm, dating from between 485 and 475 BC, shows Cyrene’s eponym, the nymph Kyrene, gesturing toward a silphium plant; her other hand is in her lap. Behind her is silphium’s heart-shaped seed. Notice the heart in its original upside down representation.

The Silphium plant was said to be only able to grow on its own in the wild & on a small stretch of ancient day Cyrene coast (present day Libya). This lack of not being able to cultivate the plant also lead to its downfall as nature could not keep up with the lust of man.

The silphium resin lazer was taken as a birth control by mixing it in with a drink or taken orally by women not unlike a modern day pill. This plant fueled the Roman orgy scenes, the Egyptians culture and much of the ancient world helping the party go on.

For hundreds of years this went on until around the 1st century when the last Silphium plant was picked and sent to Emperor Nero, who was said to nonchalantly eat it...

Devils_Dung_H_sp4.gif

Arcesilas II, king of Cyrene from 560 to 550 BC, is shown watching the weighing and loading of silphium for export on a sixth-century BC Greek kylix, or drinking cup.

Although the womanly shaped silphium seed could have easily been labeled as the symbol for lust, gluttony, greed, envy or really any of the deadly sins, Love over came...

1280px-THOMAS_COUTURE_-_Los_Romanos_de_la_Decadencia_(Museo_de_Orsay,_1847._%C3%93leo_sobre_lienzo,_472_x_772_cm).jpg

Romans of the Decadence, by Thomas Couture -1847

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
“You are sitting and smoking; you believe that you are sitting in your pipe, and that your pipe is smoking you; you are exhaling yourself in bluish clouds. You feel just fine in this position, and only one thing gives you worry or concern: how will you ever be able to get out of your pipe?”
― Charles Baudelaire, Artificial Paradises

retribution-1920.jpg!Large.jpg

Retribution - Norman Rockwell c.1920

billycw

Veteran
Banananananananana
by William Rossa Cole

I thought I'd win the spelling bee
And get right to the top,
But I started to spell " banana, "
And I didn't know when to stop.

Ann Arbor Sun, April, 1967
%252Faa_sun_19670400-1_p003-001.jpg

ae86ce92110de549891d711cdfd84a98.jpg

Golden Anniversary -by Vladimir Kush

billycw

Veteran
poster-acid.jpg

Acid - delirio dei sensi (1968) - Italian Movie poster

"I believe that with the advent of acid, we discovered a new way to think, and it has to do with piecing together new thoughts in your mind. Why is it that people think it's so evil? What is it about it that scares people so deeply, even the guy that invented it, what is it? Because they're afraid that there's more to reality than they have confronted. That there are doors that they're afraid to go in, and they don't want us to go in there either, because if we go in we might learn something that they don't know. And that makes us a little out of their control."
— Ken Kesey -Quoted in the BBC documentary, "The Beyond Within: The Rise and Fall of LSD," 1987

LSD test - girl interviewed on lsd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDR...=1&client=mv-google&layout=mobile&app=desktop
[YOUTUBE]mDRbnmjzY7U[/YOUTUBE]

Dr. Cohen lsd experiment - housewife lsd interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGf2loLAwVE
[YOUTUBEIF]iGf2loLAwVE[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Dali Fan

Dali Fan

salvador-dali.jpg

12-optical-illusions-paintings-by-salvador-dali.jpg

GRysj.jpg

Salvador Dali:)
Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.

fXSQk3Z.jpg

I don't do drugs. I am drugs.

Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.

There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad.

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad.

Each morning when I awake, I experience again a supreme pleasure - that of being Salvador Dali.

There are some days when I think I'm going to die from an overdose of satisfaction.

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since.

billycw

Veteran
Will always be a Dali on my walls somewhere Ph:biggrin:

Really enjoyed that article Betterhaff, crazy. Such deep color in that painting, almost used that one too, Thanks for sharing:tiphat:

tessarecting, I've been trying to buy that original poster for a long time, always goes above sane prices. Even the repro usually goes above what other posters of the same are going for. One of my favorite movie posters for sure:biggrin:

billycw

Veteran
"We spend our lives hurrying away from the real, as though it were deadly to us. "It must be up there somewhere on the horizon," we think. And all the time it is in the soil, right beneath our feet."
~William Bryant Logan, Dirt: The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth

0d37077faeec5287cbff075568c2ffd3.jpg

The Premonition - Michael Vincent Manalo

billycw

Veteran
Cincinnati daily press, newspaper, February 23, 1861
Cincinnati_daily_press._February_23_1861.jpg

Impressions of a Pilot

Flight is freedom in its purest form,
To dance with the clouds which follow a storm;

To roll and glide, to wheel and spin,
To feel the joy that swells within;

To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;

Then back to earth at the end of a day,
Released from the tensions which melted away.

Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;

Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;

For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

— by Gary Claud Stokor

7f7a2c0a4cf7da3b005d9fa02c0cef70.jpg

Le Saut dans le vide (Leap into the Void) - by Yves Klein c.1960

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Hermanthegerman, your English is a lot better then my German:laughing:

Thank you for the lead on some new reading, added a couple of his to the book list on Amazon, Thanks for sharing:tiphat:

billycw

Veteran
"It was fun, fun, fun. Where else could a red-blooded American lie, kill, cheat, and rape with the sanction of the all-highest?" - Col. George Hunter White

george_hunter_white2.jpg

George Hunter White

America's Truth Serum

May 27, 1943 was another day for long time international drug smuggler and made man with the mob, August Del Gracio. Enjoying the spring morning then in the afternoon off to meet with a counterintelligence officer for the O.S.S. (Office of Strategic Services -predecessor to the CIA) George Hunter White in his office at the O.S.S...

Little did August know that George White was part of a secret project under the Office of Research and Development section of the O.S.S. given the task to find a "truth serum" drug for the United States. With names like Henry Anslinger on the committee overseeing the project officers like White were given by any means necessary authority to find a truth serum drug.

As August Del Gracio sat down in George White's office he was unaware he would be the first documented victim of Cannabis being used by the U.S. government as a weapon or truth serum on a citizen. Some small talk lead to White offering Gracio a cigarette, as Gracio accepted White handed him a cigarette that had been laced by "tetrahydrocannabinol acetate derived from Indian Charis" or early hash oil.

1936-August-Del-Gracio-on-left-Smirks-in-French-Courtroom-with-attorney-1024x730.jpg

1936 August Del Gracio, on left, Smirks in French Courtroom

Inhaling the government laced smoke, the conversation continued uneventful. Some time passes after not getting desired results, a second laced smoke is offered to Gracio which he takes. After smoking the second hash smoke Gracio to the amazement of White started talking about drug routes and players in the international drug game openly. This conversation was labeled as the first success of Cannabis being used as America's truth serum...

Although just the first test this encounter came up with the delivery device as a cigarette laced using a needle to inject the hash oil down the middle of the smoke at a dose of .02 grams per. Another success was the form of cannabis administered with tetrahydrocannabinol acetate derived from Indian Charis being more effective of the 3 choices, Cannabinol from Indian Charis & synthetic cannabinol being less effective.

Having obtained the desired results, information, the test continued under various programs until eventually leading to MKultra under the CIA with none other then George Hunter White leading the show...

TruthDrug-p1B.jpg

O.S.S. 1945 declassified "Report on T.D."

The revelations August Del Gracio divulged to White during this meeting about the who and how of international drug smuggling were so sensational they were thought to be to grand of scale to be true and were later blacked out of declassified documents...

These secret government tests with cannabis continued until at least 1947 when testing switched agencies and more advanced drugs like LSD in 1951...

Timothy-Leary-NY-Public-Library.jpg

Timothy Leary

billycw

Veteran
Jacek Malczewski (1854 –1929)

436px-Malczewski_Self-portrait_with_a_palette.jpg

Self-portrait with a palette Jacek Malczewski

1024px-Malczewski_melancholia.jpg

Melancholia - Jacek Malczewski c.1894

995px-Malczewski_Jacek_Pokusa_fortuny.jpg

Temptation of Fortune - Jacek Malczewski c.1904

Bledne_kolo.jpg

Vicious circle - Jacek Malczewski · c.1897

56ae539208e101362e2fe68b64463e5b.jpg

Harpy in a dream - Jacek Malczewski c.1907

billycw

Veteran
“Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.”
― Bob Dylan

Folk_Festival_during_Ramadan._Hookah_Smoker_WDL10789.png

Folk festival at Ramadan. Hookah smoker c.1865

billycw

Veteran
"In garden arrangement, as in all other kinds of decorative work, one has not only to acquire a knowledge of what to do, but also to gain some wisdom in perceiving what it is well to let alone."
- Gertrude Jekyll

v0_master.jpg

Gertrude Jekyll around 1879

"It is no use asking me or anyone else how to dig... Better to go and watch a man digging, and then take a spade and try to do it."
- Gertrude Jekyll

Gertrude Jekyll was a gifted garden designer, devoted to her art the garden. In 1920 Gertrude was 76 years old and said to be "quite difficult". Gertrude irritated at having to sit to be painted, needed some time to ready herself giving only a short painting window to the artist. As Sir William Nicholson waited for his privilege, he was taken by a pair of her shoes on the floor. This is what he painted waiting for Gertrude in 1920, a pair of her shoes...

N05548_9.jpg

Miss Jekyll’s Gardening Boots - Sir William Nicholson c.1920

billycw

Veteran
The San Francisco call,
June 24, 1895
Titled: Local Hashish-Eaters

Pretty crazy early article...

Prices for hash in San Francisco in 1895? 65cents domestic / 75cents import

Evidence of cannabis being grown in the warm Californian sun for drug production in 1895 near Stockton. The 20 acre's they say, is really for "bird seed".

The San Francisco call, June 24, 1895
The_San_Francisco_call._June_24_1895.jpg

Achille_zo_reve_du_croyant_1870.jpg

Achille Zo: Le Rêve du croyant (The Dream of Believing) c.1870

Latest posts

Latest posts