What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
for sure a toke with a regular butane lighter lit for any duration is a greater source of butane than a gram of properly purged oil. i prefer torch lighters with hi quality butane for a more complete combustion.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Yea I am thinking about printing the factual stuff from this thread and pleading my case again....

Last edited:

Keefhead

vhGhost said:
lol Keefhead that must be an old picture my friend, i can clearly see overgrow in the background.... very cool station btw.
Thanks, Yep, yer right, at least a year, or more, but it hasn't changed much. I've replaced the little bong with a ROOR bong, added a light ring to the microscope, and smoked all the oil in the picture, :yummy: but that's about it. Well - it has gotten into a bit of a mess.

The purpose was to learn as much as possible about hash - with an emphasis on making pure bubble hash and rock hard BHO. My bubble is great - I'm happy with it, but my BHO is not where I want it. I'll get there.....

Hashmasta-Kut - those are some beautiful pictures with that old junk camera. I too have a 4500, but I've never taken pictures like that. I guess I better play more with it. Q: How do you light your shots? They're great.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
awsome macro HashmastaKut, lots of compliments for such cristal clear work, a pleasure to view.

Last edited:

tainted

keef..bho is dependent highly on the strain used...my blue strains tend to yield a red while the NL yields something that looks more like butter...pastes up super easy..the blue doesnt...i actually prefer the NL butter..subjective...

also a longer "cook" will yield a harder redder oil..
some say a charcoal flush yields a redder oil...no sure...i dont flush

VT..i used to run with med hash makers...we usually made huge butter batches...cheapest/easiest/safest...and very efficient...

the bubble ice hash \ was always the highest risk,,,even over food poisoning/butane residue..why?? MOLD!!...mold risk with bubble is huge and highly problematic with medicals...the partial solution was BMs cardboard/dessicant tech and dry ass circulating room/ some lamps if clumpy...dry ala cocaine...ive considered freezedry/vacuum so NO HEAT..ie lower pressure so the water boils out ayt room temp--need to test still///but tot feasible for the future of large med production imo..

as HMK stated...the residue in BHO is low with premium tane....why you still purge and mix and mix--it improves the burn regardless of taste/health...leave the bho overnight...throw it on a ballast and make sure all the crap popped out...even WITH residue...the butane is still rather clean especially to be stomach ingested..this is true for both bubl and BHO...stomach is safer...at 140* cook temps...everything save botulism is dead...

i dunno...i take 3 screens nards o dank style...and rip a HUGE ~1/3 gram glob of oil...freeze it and just snap a crisp off to get a big clump...and rip it hard and fast...milk the binger...sounds wasteful..BUT...back to when weed kept you high for 4 plus hours...like eating a bunch of brownies but clearer...more head/less body

Keefhead

tainted - I've seen different "colors" but could only suspect what caused them. I didn't think it was the trichs because under the microscope they pretty much all look the same, well, clear/cloudy/amber. I assumed the color of the trichs and the contaminants determined the oil color. There's obviously more to it than that. Thanks for the correction.

You take hits kinda like me. I have a large-bowl roors, and I put a little 1/2" screen at the bottom of the bowl. I then fill the bowl with coarse powdered bubble hash, and top it with a nice lump of BHO. :yummy: I believe I'll have one now.

G

all the bho I've made and vapoed went down perfectly, left no residue just evaporated like water but I do vapo bho out of a glass dick, I think allot has to do with smoking skill as far as leaving a residue because if you roll it around slowly and dont scortch it it will stay gold and "smoke" for at least a whole day, and vapo perfectly clean no crust, tar, ect.

I also think it's the strains and possibly metal extractors that turn bho red, but that s just my opinion, I will post some pics from my cam later, I'm out of herb right now and cant find any, :frown:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Victory for BHO...thanks to the posts from Tainted (issues with mold and cold water bubble hash) and HMK (the cig lighter post)....(especially from tainted on the MOLD)....and the mention of Colibri (shit is used in labs)

Actually....I must add....Bubbleman's posts helped also....when he astutely mentioned many don't use the Dank.....

From bubbleman:
most people aren't using the dank, BUT with this said, that is what i am constaly trying to show people . that you can and should use the dank> why use anything less than the best> I mean we're smoking it right?
and...
my opinion is this, butane oil is easier to make a nice product from shitty material, but when you have the best material possible, the bags will give you just as nice a return and product. I have produced near 70% THC, using just the bags. and my confirmation on that, was from the skunkman himself.
That last quote from bubbleman sealed it...see....many of the growers are not using the DANK...here in my area....so sick people are getting "subpar" bubble....I've seen enough pics to know this and spent enough money (I love bubble)....add the aforementioned posts.....and BHO is certainly the way to go....

I'll be ordering tubes this month

P.S. I love good bubble....so I will be ordering bags from bubbleman soon....through Seedboutique

:pimp3:

Last edited:

tainted

yea theres a place local to you to get bubblebags..try the med shops...gypsys quick though and was in BLOODSPORT..thats gotta count for something...

i remember you from OG hydro forums...vertical tranz...yea you like good music..we chatted there..good to see you always...still growing--even better....addictive aint it..

man whats that chix name you used to run with...i miss her...dwcER from east coast./.she was sweet...ahhh i got it...mynamestitch...that was it...she was cool

MAKE BHO!!!
MAKE BUBBLE!!!

& SHMOKE IT

teehee... jelly hash!..

:lurk: :sasmokin:

So, I have a quick question for you guys.

I just purchased a okief, "Butane Honey oil Maker." After you run the Tane through the tube...What do you do with the grinded up bud from the tube after you Butaned it? Discard it?!?! I really dont want to smoke it when all that butane went through it...

Someone chip in here and help me with this question.

Keefhead

xxoshz25xx said:
So, I have a quick question for you guys.

I just purchased a okief, "Butane Honey oil Maker." After you run the Tane through the tube...What do you do with the grinded up bud from the tube after you Butaned it? Discard it?!?! I really dont want to smoke it when all that butane went through it...

Someone chip in here and help me with this question.
Discard it. There's no THC worth recovering - the butane got it all. And who wants to smoke that. Yeech.

Keefhead

Once, that's all there is. I've tried a second run, and got a dish full of nothing but a small film, not worth the scraping. JMHO though.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
rookies :D

i have saved up ozs of bud run once. when i run bud the first time i run it relatively unbroken up. if i take an oz of buds already run, and grind them up fairly fine(thru a window screen) i can get around 1-1.5 grams of second run oil from it. not anywhere near as tasty or stony, but WAAY better than nothing. i dont like the taste much, as i am pretty picky.

but what i do now, and this is the REAL ticket, is save my buds up, then instead of just grinding them up and running it all a second time, i grind it and extract all the kif. this second run kif yields oil that is very palatable, and a pretty good stone too. the key to best flavor and oil color, is purity of kif used.

your welcome! :)

Keefhead

I bow to the master.

I guess I don't quite understand by the "second run kif yields oil...". Are you using the kif to make oil?

Keefhead

I hate to think how much oil I've thrown away. For the first run I ground the herb medium, a bit too coarse for a joint (1 twist or so), and put it in the tube. Should I have not ground it?

As HMK said: rookies LOL

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Actually i've gotten real decent oil with ground bud. The oil snake pic i have is from ground. If possible i try to run whole first and then ground but it's not something that "has" to be done.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
no it just makes a marked difference, usually.

keefhead, yes, the best second run bud oil is extracted only from the kif from the bud. if you grind vegetative matter fine, it will give up ugly tasting oil into the mix. but oil extracted from just the kif from once run material, sans ground up bud is very good to vaporize :)