What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Herbert Chickybaby

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 15.08.05.png

I saw this the other day on one of the local online pot shops here in Thailand, thouht you uys might appreciate it or not. As I recall, we were discussing a bit, or maybe I was discussing it with myself, outloud and in public as per usual or something on this thread earlier, regarding Thai weed in Thailand, that maybe it was all just going to be forgotten along with Johnny Rotten. As I remember, someone was saying they were a bit dissaponted with Thai stick and other Thai weeds they were getting ahold of, it was not as intense any of it as they had hoped, or something to that effect. Comments about this strain on the store website is that it is also just kind of daytime smoke, budget stuff withour much in the way of aromas or effects apart from som efocus and euphoria. Anyway, it does show you though that there is enough interest in Thai weeds that they are going to try to market and sell it or something as such, at least among ex-pats and tourists and other miscellenia I suppose such as myself. I mean, I'm not an ex-Pat, would you be? Why not an ex-Kevin, or an ex-boyfriend or somehting in Thailand. In any case they have a lot of English on the site so we know who its geared for, non-native sons and daughters who are more intersted in the stuff we complain about mostly on here. I don't know anything at all about Foytong, but I see its a weed seed variety you can buy on Zomia Collective's website. Says its a family heirloom type deal from Sakon Nakon, which is a classic Thai land race area, or so they say.

Herbert Chickybaby

☝️I like the price, not everything is lost after all
@Herbert Chickybaby
Did you try the foi thong brick? If you did how is it?
Have you smoked the brick from 10-12 years ago? Is it the same as this?
Thanks for posting, very interesting site, it seems sativas not popular, no sativa variety at all in their website
No I have not tried it. And, though I have mostly been here in Thailand for the last 25 years, I haven't been a pot smoker until 9 months ago and even so still it is rather a distant secondary to yoga and meditation for me, so I haven't had any brick.

Yeah, I agree though, the price is about right, its very tempting to spring for it just to see if i can get some seed from it. But I've got all my seed lined up and seedlings starting for through till MArch next year, so i don't need any seeds. I know I am always bangin on about the local strain market seedling pot I grew out last year, but it seems better than Foytong, a least from how Foytong is described by the online shop as light day smoke for focus and a bit of mood elevation. What grew out last year is a bit more multi-dimensional, its what the Foytong is and quite third eye/imagination/interdimensionally opening, it seems I get kind of split, I can be high from it and having beers listening to music and chatting with people but also peering in on pretty interestin visuals and having access to what some would call a psychdelic headspace. So I just haven't bothered to order any. I have a bunch of jars of autoflower I grew too, kind of up to my neck in pot currently, heheh! The Fast Bud Rhino autoflower I grew this winter is great for pain and insomnia and not so heavy that you don't get couch locked if you want to smoke it, but its very much Indica type stuff. I read on Seed Finder that one of the main ancestors of Rhino is an Afghani strain that ot the nickname of "the Doctor" yeah,thats about right. I was doing a strict water fast, nothing but water and a cup of black coffee in the morning for 5 days, my muscles got quite painful during the last couple of days and the Rhino solved that problem mostly, made it very bearable, but I'm getting a bit off topic here.

Herbert Chickybaby

☝️I like the price, not everything is lost after all
@Herbert Chickybaby
Did you try the foi thong brick? If you did how is it?
Have you smoked the brick from 10-12 years ago? Is it the same as this?
Thanks for posting, very interesting site, it seems sativas not popular, no sativa variety at all in their website
And also, you are right that vendor doesn't have much. But it is more than before which was none. This Foytong is a new one. If nothing else it will sell because its cheap. There's another one that started selling Cambodian brick and something they simply called Thai or Lao Gold brick, I forget which, so there's more at least trying to be old school style than before. And yes, it would be better to hear from someone else who can compare the brick from the past with this, sorry i am not that guy!

Last edited:

Airloom

Veteran
I’m still following along here and finally have some US sourced Thai news (a free email cannabis newsletter)

While not very encouraging on its face, it does seem to imply that concerns about having rules in place for cannabis generally in Thailand is the long term goal of this newly elected coalition.

My read of the recent developments is the disparity between deregulating or legalizing cannabis via an existing government agency or ministry which does NOT include putting in place rules regulations.

One important quality of Thai culture is the

* “high value placed on mental equilibrium and social grace which is a Buddhist sensibility (a thing called “metta” /well reasoned judgement constantly reviewed against the background of changing circumstances”)

*not an ad or promo just crediting source for cultural references (“Thai Stick” by Maguire and Ritter)

Marijuana market to shrink by 70%

Wayo said that once marijuana is put back on the narcotics list, about 70% of marijuana stalls and shops will be wiped out. Expected to be gone right away are online cannabis shops and roadside stalls on Khaosan Road. He said the businesses are operating today only because legal loopholes exist. Since removing marijuana from the narcotics list, Thailand has yet to pass a specific law controlling its use.

“We will pass laws to govern the 30% of shops that will remain,” Wayo said.

The move to relist marijuana as a narcotic and pass laws to govern its use is incorporated in the memorandum of understanding (MoU) on governance signed by Move Forward and its coalition partners.

🙄

Airloom

Veteran
Not only is relisting cannabis on the agenda but also supporting terrorists in Myanmar and destroying relations with China.
Seems “Move Forward” is actually going backwards or sideways. My hope is the recent positive changes will have benefitted enough Thai citizens to see a bit of hope in the future. If they can put together coalitions with agendas that include reasonable regulations, perhaps this will lead to slow but steady progress.

One step forward two steps back.

Thanks for adding to my understanding @entropical

I have rose tinted glasses for the people of Thailand

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
so far i dont see anything about growing it and further restrictions ,
just about selling it , the shops etc ,
this has got to be good for thai people at the end of the day ,
get rid of those imports , grow weed in thailand ,
thereby supporting locals ,
and in time ,, start to export better and cheaper pot than anyone else in the world can produce ,
because that is also doable ,
and the steady climb back to being one of the largest exporters of weed in the world,
with the cheapest,and the best ...

Airloom

Veteran
and in time ,, start to export better and cheaper pot than anyone else in the world can produce ,
and the steady climb back to being one of the largest exporters of weed in the world,
Good to hear your perspective @Donald Mallard

I’m not sure if you’re still in country but certainly had hoped you might comment. I tried to express myself clearly but have to say you did a better job of it.
I am naive perhaps to want what you describe for the people of Thailand even if it is moving at a snails pace.

It’s a great post. TY

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
well we are both naive in that case airloom and want the same thing,
i just couldnt be happy seeing the country that pushed thailand out of the cannabis game over 40 years ago,
come back to profit from it when they finally legalize it again ,
via imports and running shops there etc ,
leaves a bad taste in my mouth,

the model i put forward does the opposite ,
it would push that country out of the game instead and return things to how they were all those years ago ,
id be super happy to see that ,
the best area to grow cannabis is also the poorest provinces in thailand ,
be nice to see them do well from it...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So maybe 'narcotic' in name only so as to get some control of a completely free scene? Like medical mj over here in the US. Not ideal but to be expected from government. They never just let the people do whatever they want to.

Zomia is worth another look I think. Just got some seeds from direct from Cambodia.

entropical

Veteran
Seems “Move Forward” is actually going backwards or sideways. My hope is the recent positive changes will have benefitted enough Thai citizens to see a bit of hope in the future. If they can put together coalitions with agendas that include reasonable regulations, perhaps this will lead to slow but steady progress.

One step forward two steps back.

Thanks for adding to my understanding @entropical

I have rose tinted glasses for the people of Thailand
Thanks you for your kind words @Airloom

The Move Forward Party used to be called Future Forward Party, this party was dissolved by order of the Constitutional Court of Thailand in 2020 for violating Thailands election laws and then reappeared as the Move Forward Party. The leader is a billionaire affiliated with the US National Endowment for Democracy.

The Pheu Thai Party is the replacement party of former Carlyle group advisor Thaksin Shinawatra Peoples Power Party, which was also dissolved by the Constitutional Court of Thailand for violating election laws. Thaksin of course is one of the worst human rights abusers in Thailands history, having murdered thousands of people in his so called war on drugs. Another billionaire, criminal in exile.

These are the so called ”pro democracy” parties of western media.

entropical

Veteran
My grandmother used to say that there is nothing bad which does not also bring something good. This legal regime was obviously not intended for thai people, with its imports and prices excluding everyone but tourists and a few rich kids. Replace it with our vision of restoration, which we can say quite objectively would be most beneficial for all. The race is not for the swift as they say but for those who can and will endure. Best see this as a test balloon.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
My grandmother used to say that there is nothing bad which does not also bring something good. This legal regime was obviously not intended for thai people, with its imports and prices excluding everyone but tourists and a few rich kids. Replace it with our vision of restoration, which we can say quite objectively would be most beneficial for all. The race is not for the swift as they say but for those who can and will endure. Best see this as a test balloon.
your grandma was a clever lady ,
the only way ive gotten through life is adopting the same policy she seems to have ,
always look for some positive in the negatives ...

with that in mind , as you say this was probably a good test run , they can iron out the issues and come up with a better plan for the next shot at it ....