What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homebrewing beer

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Nice, I'm about to crack into the batch of RIS that I brewed this past Jan. Tasted really good, chocolate-y and raisin-y, at bottling in Sept!
Got my 2012 hops in the mail this past week, couple #'s of Simcoe, amarillo and Citra, as well as some cascade and centennial. First up will be my Cascadian dark ale/black IPA w/simcoe and amarillo. Then a Zombie Dust clone (all citra).

Where ya gettin ur hops? I could use a pound or 2 of Citra..

mgk :tiphat:

ronbo51

Veteran
I just got a one#bag of Mt Hood hops from labelpeelers.com. And a 50#bag of Briess Golden light malt. $130 for the malt. I'm excited to be back into homebrewing. Anyone see the Speidel fermentation vessels from Germany?? I bought two. They are backordered but I got onto the December list. I am going to make a Kolsch first, then a California lager, then spend the rest of the winter making cold brewed lagers. Beer and C99 yahoo!

ronbo51

Veteran
Maynard, where do you get soda kegs? How do you set them up? I need to go do my keg homework. I figure I have about a month before I am ready to bottle. Until my Speidels come I am going to use ale pails and figure get a couple easy ales and bottle under my belt before I try to manage a lager and keg. But kegging is obviously the direction to go. Homebrew= no taxes paid= starve the beast.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Maynard, where do you get soda kegs? How do you set them up? I need to go do my keg homework. I figure I have about a month before I am ready to bottle. Until my Speidels come I am going to use ale pails and figure get a couple easy ales and bottle under my belt before I try to manage a lager and keg. But kegging is obviously the direction to go. Homebrew= no taxes paid= starve the beast.

Wow! 130 buks for a bag of malt? I hope it was a 200 pound bag! I pay 35 buks for a 50 pound bag of Briess or Rahr malt.. You might want to shop that price.. Maybe go and make friends with the brewer at your local brew pub.. often they'll help a home brewer out with a couple bags of malt at real market price. As far as the kegs go, they're all over eBay and Amazon. You'll need a tank of co2 and a regulator.. Kegging could not be simpler. After the beer's done fermenting, transfer it into a clean, sanitized keg and put it in ur beer fridge. Hook it up to the co2 tank and set the pressure at 35psi and let it go for 3 days. After that, shut the co2 off at the regulator, release the pressure off the keg and then reset the pressure on the regulator to about 8 or 9 psi and draw yourself a glass.. see where your carbonation is and if you need more, crank in back up for a day or 2 and check it again. Easy peasy.. Bottling beer is the biggest pain in the ass in the world. I bottle beer only when my brewing partner holds a gun to my head and demands it. Good luck..

kin_dawg

Tried my first Sierra Nevada pale the other day, liked it alot, so I bought a 6 pack. It's an import beer where I'm from, it's been here for a couple years now I read and before that for a little while as a 'grey beer' heh!

Lol at mgk, I enjoy bottling hehe but I've hardly the experience yet of you gentleman.

ronbo51

Veteran
hey Maynard, instead of being a condescending douchenozzle, why don't you shower me with links from all these places you get malt from for 35 bucks???? because I went to 3 or 4 stores, including a members co-op that offers significant discounts, as well ass about a hundred suppliers online, including North Country Malt, the largest malt distributor in the US. North Country used to sell retail but now they are wholesale only but I talked to the sales guy there and there lowest 50# sack of Breiss is 115$ Buying buy the 1 ton tote gets me down to 98$ / 50 #'s, but I can't buy there.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
hey Maynard, instead of being a condescending douchenozzle, why don't you shower me with links from all these places you get malt from for 35 bucks???? because I went to 3 or 4 stores, including a members co-op that offers significant discounts, as well ass about a hundred suppliers online, including North Country Malt, the largest malt distributor in the US. North Country used to sell retail but now they are wholesale only but I talked to the sales guy there and there lowest 50# sack of Breiss is 115$ Buying buy the 1 ton tote gets me down to 98$ / 50 #'s, but I can't buy there.

Well, I didn't realize I was being a condescending douchenozzle.. All your information seems very questionable. If Breiss was 115 a bag by tonage, all the microbreweries in the u.s. would be out of business. Briess is currently selling at Country Malt group is .70 per pound which is $35.00 per bag. I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, so I can't really recommend a place for you to buy grain. Shipping grain is not a good way to go because the shipping will be higher than your grain itself. I'm sorry you live in an area that charges the prices you're being charged. So, we obviously got off on the wrong foot. If malt cost the prices you are saying, all home brewers would just quit brewing and buy local micros and call it a day. Sorry for being a douchenozzle.

S

SeaMaiden

You weren't, Maynard. You weren't being condescending, and nothing you posted qualifies as being vaginal wash or associated with vaginal washing. A flat keg..? Nope, not even a flat keg.

Besides, this is about BEER, it'd be funnier to keep it beer-related.

whodare

Veteran
People and their victim mentality.

Stop reading tone into people's posts.

Thanks for the thread people, Ive always had an interest in all grain brewing, I'm a science lover and a beer lover so it seems a perfect match. Keep the good info comming, maybe a few non-proprietary recipes ;)

S

SeaMaiden

I have a barley mill that I learned we can't use to grind corn. Now that we don't brew beer and I can't use it to grind grains that aren't more like barley, I can't use it. Bummah! Probably should eBay it or something like that.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
People and their victim mentality.

Stop reading tone into people's posts.

Thanks for the thread people, Ive always had an interest in all grain brewing, I'm a science lover and a beer lover so it seems a perfect match. Keep the good info comming, maybe a few non-proprietary recipes ;)

You combine your 2 mentioned skills and interests.. AND if you're a good cook, you have all the makings of a great brewer.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I have a barley mill that I learned we can't use to grind corn. Now that we don't brew beer and I can't use it to grind grains that aren't more like barley, I can't use it. Bummah! Probably should eBay it or something like that.

I bet if you pre cracked your corn, I be you could mill it down to be able to use it in bread or muffin making.. And thanks for the kind words previously.. even tho, I don't mind the idea of being a vaginal wash.. sound kinda fun..

S

SeaMaiden

I bet if you pre cracked your corn, I be you could mill it down to be able to use it in bread or muffin making.. And thanks for the kind words previously.. even tho, I don't mind the idea of being a vaginal wash.. sound kinda fun..

How would I pre-crack my corn? Call Jimmy?

Would you like to know how I ended up grinding my corn to make cornbread (which was delicious, by the way, but a rather ugly bruise color)? The spice grinder. An eighth of a cup at a time, and the grinder got rather hot. I've only made a couple of batches, I need a good stone metate.

What's that corn beer called...? I've never tasted it, but I can imagine it might be good.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
How would I pre-crack my corn? Call Jimmy?

Would you like to know how I ended up grinding my corn to make cornbread (which was delicious, by the way, but a rather ugly bruise color)? The spice grinder. An eighth of a cup at a time, and the grinder got rather hot. I've only made a couple of batches, I need a good stone metate.

What's that corn beer called...? I've never tasted it, but I can imagine it might be good.

A lot of megaswill uses corn in their mash. Most 'cream ales' ise corn in the mash. it produces very little flavor, but bolsters the starting gravity of the wort and it's much cheaper than barley or other types of malt, so they can get a little higher alcohol beer that's ver light in color and week in flavor, the way most Americans like their beer. My 'precrush' idea was to put the corn in a freezer bag and bash it a little with a rolling pin or something of that sort.

Homebrewer

Veteran

Join a homebrew club and get in on a bulk buy. Lose the attitude.

T

The Sensi Rebel

Just brewed an Amber Ale (Fools Gold Clone I believe)

In Ann Arbor Michigan atm, brewed with my girl's father. Helped him bottle a Orange Honey Wheat yesterday and I'll be taking some Belgium Tripple Clones home, which I actually prefer over the real thing.

Tonight I'll be drinking my Lemon Basil Wheat. gotta love wheat :)

This guy is brilliant. He's planning on starting his brewery this year and is looking for property. If it all falls through, I may have a pretty awesome job!

When I get home for thanksgiving I'm planning on making some Raspberry Liqeur. Just have to figure out my ratios for the Fleishmann's (yeuuk.) sugar, and berries. Should be an excellent summer drink!

Happy Brewing y'all!
If I knew how to upload pictures I'd be posting the mash I had going, and the Amber with the blow-off tube. It's fermenting like a mother!

S

SeaMaiden

That orange wheat sounds really good, hefeweizen-type of brew, yes?

T

The Sensi Rebel

I believe so! I forget which hops were used...I wanna say Zeus?? Just a little coriander to set off some robust flavoring.

Right now I'm enjoying an IPA dry-hopped(Cascade) right in the keg. Two weeks out and it couldn't be smoother of a taste for how long it sat. I gotta stop walking to the tap tho, I may drink it all before I can get the full flavors.