What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guide for Insects and Pest Prevention

leafhoppers+++++REP+++++

leafhoppers+++++REP+++++

they are tearing me up i used neem oil the other day after 24 hours i checked my girls and leaf hoppers were still around please help ++++rep++++++

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Neem oil is not a knock down pesticide, it works by interrupting or interfering with the pests lifecycle. So even after spraying with Neem, the pests (aphids, whiteflies etc.) will still be there doing damage. For a quick kill in veg, Sevin or Malathion should do the trick. If your girls are in flower, I'm not sure what the best course of action is. I tried Malathion late in flower (20 days before the chop) to wipe out an aphid infestation and I wasn't happy with the result. Although potency did not seem to be affected, the taste of the smoke was not good at all and lots of the bud seemed to be discolored/burned by the spray.

thanks i used more neem today. Church&LAwoman are lookin better i also have madala1 they are gettin tore up still no flowers yet so i may have to use chems this shit is gettin $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Then hit your plants with some Sevin dust and knock those things down. Keep using Neem as a soil drench to help systemically discourage future pests and you should be good to go.

Search Neem here on ICMag and you should find lots of good info on how to combine Neem with other oils to increase the efficiency, but remember Neem is not "Black Flag" insecticide. You can spray it on the bugs and the next day you will still see many of them doing their thing. Neem is a long term solution and just a part of the overall approach to pest control. You should try to maintain your plants with a very healthy nutrient regimen that keeps them at their healthiest and add Neem to supplement the plant's natural well being to fight off pests.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Keep a close eye on the weather, if you use any dust (Sevin, DE, etc) and it rains shortly after application it will wash off most of it and it will not have any real effect on the pests.

Haven't grown guerrilla style for a really long time, but when I did I tried to pick spots that would grow freakin trees! That way the deer can have some, pests can have some and there was usually some clean bud for me. Not the most ideal way to do it, but sometimes that's all you can do.

And every once in awhile you experience the serendipity and have more bud than you know what to do with - a nice problem to have . . . .

indeed my guerilla stuff usually stays pretty small 1 or2 OZ. the ones i can get to once in a while are huge im guess at least 6 to 8 OZ i am excited

plhkarma

Awesome thread....haven't read it all so I don't know if this ones been asked before. I've been reading about bud worms and am now quite worried. I'm 1st time grower and planted outside. I haven't seen any yet, but do have other issues and started a spray of neem today. So I have 2 questions: 1) Are bud worms a problem in WI.? I've googled and came up with nothing difinitive. 2) How often do I apply the neem spray....bugs are chomping my leaves and 3 of my girls are just starting to bud. Thanx for any any advice :)

Peace, Love, and Harmony :)

Last edited:

p-smoka

I wonder what makes pencil eraser sized holes in leafs,some are smaller.I actually bought seed sthis yr so I gotta have success this yr..got some autos(lowrider#2 and purple mazaars) and a few bagseed and 1 each fem burmese kush and sage n sour.Very new to guerilla stlye growing.

mudvaynefan

Awesome thread....haven't read it all so I don't know if this ones been asked before. I've been reading about bud worms and am now quite worried. I'm 1st time grower and planted outside. I haven't seen any yet, but do have other issues and started a spray of neem today. So I have 2 questions: 1) Are bud worms a problem in WI.? I've googled and came up with nothing difinitive. 2) How often do I apply the neem spray....bugs are chomping my leaves and 3 of my girls are just starting to bud. Thanx for any any advice :)

I can tell you about bud worms. I live in CA, and am currently battling bud worms.

They are NEVER a problem in veg, or even early flower. Its in mid, to late, that the adults fly in around sun down, lay eggs on the bud, or deep into the floral structure.

When the worms hatch, they seem to migrate down to the stem/bud/internode.

Other than visual inspection of the middle of the bud, and the stem /node, you can only see you have them, by seeing the damage they inflict.

They sit, and eat, and shit, in the same spot, growing.

They leave tiny round black spots, little piles of shit, and they rot , absolutely rot the bud above the spot they are.

Youll be looking at your plant, and notice a slight discolor on a bud. On closer inspection, its turned brown/red/yellow, and has dried and died.

And the dam worm is still there. Hate these things, they hit when I cant/wont spray anything, and you dont know you got them till its too late.

blowin

What to do against worms????

What to do against worms????

We sprayed heavy at night with Bt insect soap
Then in two days the heavy dose. What do you guys use?

bodymind

Veteran
I can tell you about bud worms. I live in CA, and am currently battling bud worms.

They are NEVER a problem in veg, or even early flower. Its in mid, to late, that the adults fly in around sun down, lay eggs on the bud, or deep into the floral structure.

When the worms hatch, they seem to migrate down to the stem/bud/internode.

Other than visual inspection of the middle of the bud, and the stem /node, you can only see you have them, by seeing the damage they inflict.

They sit, and eat, and shit, in the same spot, growing.

They leave tiny round black spots, little piles of shit, and they rot , absolutely rot the bud above the spot they are.

Youll be looking at your plant, and notice a slight discolor on a bud. On closer inspection, its turned brown/red/yellow, and has dried and died.

And the dam worm is still there. Hate these things, they hit when I cant/wont spray anything, and you dont know you got them till its too late.

I'm having the same problem and could have written the exact same post you just did....

What to do? I spent an hour picking them off of my most developed plants this morning...

they are hard to see too. sometimes i spend ten minutes scouring up and down a cola on which there is apparent damage never to find the caterpillar. Sometimes, they are sitting right on top...

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Awesome thread

So I have 2 questions: 1) Are bud worms a problem in WI.? I've googled and came up with nothing difinitive. 2) How often do I apply the neem spray....bugs are chomping my leaves and 3 of my girls are just starting to bud. Thanx for any any advice :)

Hey Plhkarma

I ll add my 2 cents in since you asked.

I havent seen a bud worm in 10 or more years because i quit growing genetically weak indoor plants outdoors. Indoor strains are a fucking magnet for bud worms. When someone tells me they have them i immediately know theyre growing an indoor strain.

Bugs rarely bother good hardy outdoor strains.

BUT. Rotenone will cure your caterpillar problem forever. It only has a 6 day life as its highly unstable. Its deadly when applied and for the next few days, but when exposed to light and heat it deteriorates very quickly. Seven days after an application, test reveal that no traces of the chemical can be detected. Rotenone is an organic pesticide which orignates from plant extract.

It is approved for organic growing in every state, usually without any listed PHI. I would recommend a 7 day preharvest interval for cannabis

I have used rotenone for bugs since 1980. There are some that claim its harmful and becuause its toxic to water critters there are many opponents, but ive used it yearly for 30 years and i know for an absolute fact that you can mix a gallon of rotenone up in a glass container, expose it to light and heat for a week and you could drink it without harm. Its a powerful killer when applied, but deterorates quickly.

Last edited:

zalias

Hello everyone,

We would like to ask a question about unknowing plant predators. The thing is, in the middle of the summer we started to detect small holes on the plant stem and inside the stem we could see worms which eating a plant stem throughout therefor causing plant top to die. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and maybe someone got an idea how to deal with it?

Thank you for your reply

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...vasive-fish-get-the-toxic-treatment-1.1247238

Maybe rotenone is not so hot? I love the fish life..
Got no help on the bud worm issues though , bastards eat my smoke too leaving mold and dead stuff in their wake.. given up, I don't spray my girls into flower. Pick em off and rinse the shit balls off is all but one other plan that has actually sorta worked. Iv'e got birds that come to the garden, so I feed the doves and sing along with our hummingbird-types cuz they feed off the attention.. My girl laughs about our 'bro-mance' cuz its the dude bird that fly's into the house even sometimes and comes everyday to the yard and without fail demands a sing song.. So these other birds start coming and singing along, seriously, so I whistle back at em and get the birds excited, its fun.. Anyway to cut along story short, I made freinds with the birds and got 2 pairs that will spend time everyday in my little greenhouse eating bugs and worms and hanging out with me and making a noise and shitting good stuff all over the base of plants... :) So no poison for me anymore in there and they actually eat quite a bunch flying around and picking off plants, staying in until its too too hot and they go.

Somebody was asking about snails.. What about eating them? Seriously, recycle and feedback loops are where its at, plants>pests>birds>poop>bigger plants or plants>snails>dinner>bigger gardener? Or just to keep them away, a 1/2" strip of copper completely around the base of the bush over say a piece of rubber? Wouldnt want to cause copper toxicity in the plant and haven't tried this but copper strips are used to pen in snails in heliculture so there is no reason it shouldn't work, they refuse to cross it, muscles have electro-spasms cuz they're wet and slimy..
Zalius hope U came right, but maybe some more descriptions will help ID..Which means you can figure out how to fix it..

serious6

having grown outdoor for over 35 years i use an assortment of weapons depending on the cercumstances.

3 of the main weapons in my arsonel are lime/sulphur concentrate without oil which has been used for centuries, cat excretment to the sides and below and dog fur which i get from groomers and creates the smell of 2 of natues best preditors.

wire chicken fencing, mothballs, cans with marbles, essense of skunk, plain salt, green painted camo pots, sulphur dust, cuccumber peel for ants. loads of stuff