What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'In Search of the ULTIMATE SATIVA and INDICA'....(Rare Land-Race Hunting.)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
picture.php

Just recently a friend/acquaintance of mine suggested that since I couldn't currently travel outside of the UK to look for unusual and exciting new cannabis genetic material in seed form, which I used to do often in the past, then he could act as a sort of satellite gatherer of rare cannabis seeds for me.......to boldly go where few if any seed-seekers have gone before and bring back to the GN Collection some rare and exotic Land-Race or even bred seed-stock that would excite the established breeders and growers in the West and all over the world.

Now, where do we start?

I have suggested Diego Suarez in the North of Madagascar to look for more Zamal, but he seems to be keen to start by trying to visit Bhutan and looking for some Bhutanese seeds, since we can't find anything from that area currently outside of Bhutan, and not only Bhutan but thru the Mustang Valley, into Tibet, then Yunnan, Xinjiang over the Khunjerab pass onto the Karakorum and down through northern Pakistan looping back into India and up to Kashmir round past Ladakh to Manali........I am sure he will be able to find something special on a trip such as this and I am quite excited about what he might find in those VERY remote places/nations....

What we will be doing here is trying to document his movements as he progresses towards gaining any seed-stock that might be found out there and reporting it back in this thread with maps and pictures, so even if you are stuck at home with a grow you can live the life of cannabis seed-hunter in virtual real-time within this thread...

Also I would like to hear about where any of you might want to go globally, if you were in the position to go on you're very own SEED-HUNTING-EXPEDITION!.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
picture.php

Bhutan

The population of Bhutan had been estimated based on the reported figure of about 1 million in the 1970s when the country had joined the United Nations and precise statistics were lacking. Thus, using the annual increase rate of 2–3%, the most population estimates were around 2 million in the year 2000. A national census was carried out in 2005 and it turned out that the population was 672,425. Consequently, United Nations Population Division reduced its estimation of the country's population in the 2006 revision for the whole period from 1950 to 2050.

Bhutan (/buːˈtɑːn/; འབྲུག་ཡུལ་ Druk Yul), officially the Kingdom of Bhutan (འབྲུག་རྒྱལ་ཁབ་ Druk Gyal Khap), is a landlocked country in South Asia. Located in the Eastern Himalayas, it is bordered by Tibet Autonomous Region of China in the north, the Sikkim state of India and the Chumbi Valley of Tibet in the west, the Arunachal Pradesh state of India in the east, and the states of Assam and West Bengal in the south. Bhutan is geopolitically in South Asia and is the region's second least populous nation after the Maldives. Thimphu is its capital and largest city, while Phuntsholing is its financial center.

The independence of Bhutan has endured for centuries and it has never been colonized in its history. Situated on the ancient Silk Road between Tibet, the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, the Bhutanese state developed a distinct national identity based on Buddhism. Headed by a spiritual leader known as the Zhabdrung Rinpoche, the territory was composed of many fiefdoms and governed as a Buddhist theocracy. Following a civil war in the 19th century, the House of Wangchuck reunited the country and established relations with the British Empire. Bhutan fostered a strategic partnership with India during the rise of Chinese communism and has a disputed border with the People's Republic of China. In 2008, it transitioned from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy and held the first election to the National Assembly of Bhutan. The National Assembly of Bhutan is part of the bicameral parliament of the Bhutanese democracy.

The country's landscape ranges from lush subtropical plains in the south to the sub-alpine Himalayan mountains in the north, where there are peaks in excess of 7,000 metres (23,000 ft). The highest mountain in Bhutan is the Gangkhar Puensum, which is also a strong candidate for the highest unclimbed mountain in the world. There is also diverse wildlife in Bhutan.

In South Asia, Bhutan ranks first in economic freedom, ease of doing business, and peace; second in per capita income; and is the least corrupt country as of 2016. However, Bhutan continues to be a least developed country. Hydroelectricity accounts for the major share of its exports. The government is a parliamentary democracy; the head of state is the King of Bhutan, known as the "Dragon King". Bhutan maintains diplomatic relations with 52 countries and the European Union, but does not have formal ties with the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council. It is a member of the United Nations, SAARC, BIMSTEC and the Non Aligned Movement. The Royal Bhutan Army maintains extensive military relations with the Indian Armed Forces.

Bhutan is also notable for pioneering the concept of gross national happiness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutan

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Would be great to have some pure nepalese landrace seeds available to breed with, Seems only to be hybrid offerings like bangi haze and nepal jam from Ace Seeds.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Id like to see more pure landrace reproduction and retail, but i understand many reasons why it isnt more often. We need more legal environments to offset the time and effort to the risk before more work is done by the many.

Dogtown

That's an very interesting project! When does the trip starts and how long will it take? Iran, Tadschikistan, Kirgistan, Uzbekistan would be great too. Central america, carribean and west-, east-and south- africa are also interesting places! Wish your friend all best and safety for the travels! Do you or your friend know some locals from the places he's going to visit?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Would be great to have some pure nepalese landrace seeds available to breed with, Seems only to be hybrid offerings like bangi haze and nepal jam from Ace Seeds.

Yes indeed, some new Nepali seeds might well prove interesting, and anything else from that specific area too...

Id like to see more pure landrace reproduction and retail, but i understand many reasons why it isnt more often. We need more legal environments to offest the time and effort to the risk before more work is done by the many.

I agree that many growers don't have the space/time and know-how to work with rare land-race varieties to be able to grow out enough for good selections, but there are quite a few out there with the facility to do that...

That's an very interesting project! When does the trip starts and how long will it take? Iran, Tadschikistan, Kirgistan, Uzbekistan would be great too. Central america, carribean and west-, east-and south- africa are also interesting places! Wish your friend all best and safety for the travels! Do you or your friend know some locals from the places he's going to visit?

I do believe the seed-hunter has traveled in some areas of the Hindu Kush before in the past and is willing to expand his search into Bhutan initially, which is not so easy to get into apparently, but I will be reporting upon his progress in getting the required clearances along the way and hopefully his entry and search within Bhutan for rare cannabis genetics...

Id like to see more central Africans and Himalayan. Some varied Kush selections, Iranian.

This thread will report on our Seed-Hunter where-ever he goes, and he could end up in Africa, SEAsia, the Middle East or where-ever the hunt takes him....

PANIKZ

Vendor
Veteran
Cant wait for this gyp , its going to be exciting just following this along , our friend does know this part of the world a fare bit and I'm 100% sure he will find seeds, and places KNOWONE else has dared to travel before him.. let the Expedition begin,..

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
This is very exciting. I love to read about far away places I have zero chance of visiting. I will be tuned in and thanks to all for sharing!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
This sounds like a great project to me. I can't think of anywhere id much rather see more genetics being pulled out from..:ying:

J

jaded1

Good luck to the treasure hunter,sounds like a great trip!
If I was able i'd like to do 1 starting in the Congo then Angola,Zambia,Malawi and Tanzania from east to west across Africa

Latest posts

Latest posts