What's new

The Coffee Connoisseur Club

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone i have recently been introduced to good coffee, a friend had Jamaican Blue Mountain beans and made me a cup with RO water. Normally i would have milk in coffee but it seemed a bad idea when offered what i had heard was some of the best coffee in the world (like cola in bourbon) so i took it black with 1 sugar and it was bar far one of the best things i have ever tasted. Since then i have invested in a french press and coffee grinder and ordered some quality beans online.....till then i have been trying a few different brands from the supermarket, this morning it Douwe Egberts Firedup Espresso which is real nice with the Rascal OG/Afghani im smoking.
Love to hear what people are drinking, what method you use to make it and what you recommend (im still new and keen to find the best coffee).
Peace

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Brazilian Arabica and a couple of spices (cinnamon, cardamom) my coffee grinder and a cheap expresso machine is doing it for now.
A better machine is on "I want that one!" list ;)
Filtered water, i use a Brita filter, also improves quality but imho what makes the biggest difference is to keep your beans fresh and grind them only before use.
I love my coffee&smoke. Best breakfast ever!!! ;)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an I Roast 2 and a Maestro Plus grinder. Until recently, I bought raw beans from Sweet Marias (~$6.50-9.00/#) PLUS shipping. Whole Foods Market has a nice bulk selection exotic roasted beans for ~ $15/#. Factoring in shipping + cost to roast + hassle to clean oils from roast chamber, it's a wash for me. By far he smoothest coffee comes from my Yama vacuum brewer.

RO wateer: I use RO BUT add a pinch of sea salt. I make a gallon at a time adding ~ 50ppm. It makes the flavors come alive

S

SeaMaiden

Vacuum brewing is the ONLY way to go. Forget about French presses, forget about drip makers, forget about all of it--vacuum brewing is truly the way to go.

As for beans themselves? If you ever tasted anything really good that's not Jamaican Blue Mountain, then you'll know just how overrated Jamaican Blue Mountain is. At first I thought it was because it had been over-roasted, but after we did our own batch (we roast our own coffee at home) I realized they just have a crap flavor, period.

BEST beans for us here at home are typically Central American highland beans. There's a farm in Panama that does a bellota bean that we adore. Also, extremely difficult to find, especially green, are damn near any Puerto Rican beans. I am fortunate, one of my family members has invested in a coffee plantation and we're first on his list for samples of green beans to cup.

Roasting ourselves has a bit of a pain in the ass factor, but it's truly worth it.

Espresso roasting is, again in my opinion, meant only for the lowest quality crops. It's going to be burned anyway, so why use the best beans just to burn the crap out of them?

Green Supreme

Veteran
In use organic Nabob medium roast in a drip coffee maker. One of my fave mixes is 60% Columbian Supremo and 40% Kona. Peace GS

ps. I found that the Blue Mountain was better for espresso than drip coffee

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dont refrigerate or freeze your beans - just keep them in an air and light tight container.

you need the best quality grinder you can get - a burr grinder to get uniform particle size and grind it as fine as you can and it still work in your machine.

cheep espresso makers are just fine as long as they have a high bar pump (12 minimum, 15 is better) all good coffee starts with espresso imo

i like colombian beans but i find that if you have a good grinder then most decent beans will taste good.

VG

S

stratmandu

Espresso is my thing. Been hooked on it since I lived in Italy for 3 years in the 70s. I have a Racilio machine and a Mazzer grinder. I also have an IR2, and roast my own (currently using SM New Classic blend) but I also buy roasted sometimes, like redbird espresso, which is fantastic.

Get it straight: espresso is not a roast profile, it is a coffee process. What is referred to as "espresso roast", meaning very black over-roasted beans, actually makes crappy espresso. Proper roasting for espresso is more like a city+ roast, not black like a Vienna roast. The red bird espresso beans are roasted to a nice dark shiny brown, and the taste is sublime. Take a look at Italian espresso beans like, Lavazza or Illy, they aren't black.

I start every day with a double 16g pull and a little steamed milk. Yummy. Think I'll go make another right now to go with some SSSDH.

Snoopster

Veteran
French Press tastes great, but might hurt your good cholesterol levels.

Some of my favorite coffee is either Puerto Rican or real Kona.
Roasting can make or break coffee. It is like curing weed. You can have the best coffee in the world and fuck it up with bad roasting.

Most of Jamaica's root stock was sold to some company in Indonesia. The best coffee from Jamaica is sold to Japan.

I don't like spending a ton of money on coffee, so I just buy organic stuff from costco.
Grind it yourself and it is better than decent.

The Kona I like is more than $30 a pound.
Fuck that shit.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Bought some really good Kona coffee at a plantation on the Big Island once. That was some good stuff.

I get my beans from a local roaster, for my daily stuff.

Hubbleman

Veteran
I actually worked on 2 coffee farms in australias north

beautiful land and nature, complete wilderness...

just me few friends and family owners of the farm...

used to ride around on quad bikes and grow top coffee beans

good time

S

SeaMaiden

Espresso is my thing. Been hooked on it since I lived in Italy for 3 years in the 70s. I have a Racilio machine and a Mazzer grinder. I also have an IR2, and roast my own (currently using SM New Classic blend) but I also buy roasted sometimes, like redbird espresso, which is fantastic.

Get it straight: espresso is not a roast profile, it is a coffee process. What is referred to as "espresso roast", meaning very black over-roasted beans, actually makes crappy espresso. Proper roasting for espresso is more like a city+ roast, not black like a Vienna roast. The red bird espresso beans are roasted to a nice dark shiny brown, and the taste is sublime. Take a look at Italian espresso beans like, Lavazza or Illy, they aren't black.

I start every day with a double 16g pull and a little steamed milk. Yummy. Think I'll go make another right now to go with some SSSDH.
Ha! And here I thought espresso came about in a manner similar to Guinness--a mistake gone good.

Love to get my learn on, thanks.

urpo

Hello coffee lovers. Do you think that I´m a noobfool because I bought dolce gusto piccolo capsulemachine?
piccolo_trio.jpg

I love espresso and it´s so easy to make with that machine. I know it´s not the real thing, but it´s nice enough and fast too. :coffee: :D

SpayceRayce

I have a very uneducated palette. Maxwell House Instant, boiling water, 3 sugars and a good whack of milk is a VERY good cuppa joe to me. Hell, I'll even compromise on the boiling water and just draw some hot water from the tap. I am a coffee neanderthal.

S

sweetypie

Japanese people like some strong coffee! a friend was giving/trading some home roasted Guatemalan beans they were killer i miss that hook up. i use a drip brewer with filter, spring water.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I start my day with a pot of French roast that I run through the drip side of this schmaltzy coffee maker that also makes a decent cappuccino. Cappuccino using French roast. Now that is coffee!

Latest posts

Latest posts