What's new

New county ordinance HELP!!!

DRwood

Unfortunitly it looks like my county (Butte) is about to be bumbarded with a rediculas ordinance. Now I wont be able to do my normal 24 plants (Because I had an exzemption for 99 plants) So I was thinking this year I might just go strictly smart pots rather than my normal trenches. I probably will go with ither 200 or 400 gallon smart pots...Does anyone have a soil resipe for a 400 gallon smart pot....I want to yeild a good 3-5 pounds off each, now that im only going to have 12-15 plants at the most...I could take pics of what im working with (area) and if people could give me some advice on what to do it would be greatly appericated. THANKS!

B

Butte_Creek

hey DRwood, i'm in butte as well, very unfortunate about the ordinance, sounds like your in the 1-20 acre parcel category? sounds like you've got a good game plan. smart pots is the way to go i think.

400gal could do well over 5 if plugged vigorous sat dom varieties like blue dream in a heavily amended mix. 200 if done right would be more in that 3-5 range. although 400 has a more desirable 6' diameter.

i'll be running tom hill's mix this season, solid mix:

[I]"I've played with a lot of different soil recipes over the years, 1rst year new soil mixes, as well as yearly additives. Here's a very simple mix that is well proven and I am comfortable recommending for those large outdoor containers. It gives about 50 cubic feet or just over 300 gallons (dry U.S), and fills a 6ft diameter container to a depth of about 18inches - perfectly.

25 bags black gold potting soil (1.5cf ea)

4 bags stutzman farms chicken manure (1 cf ea)

1 bag perlite (4 cf ea)

1 bag (50 lbs) bonemeal (steamed, not precipitated)

1/2 bag gypsum (aprox 1/2 cf) - Edit -> 1/2 of a 40 lb bag (20lbs).

Mix well, water thoroughly, let rest for 2-3 weeks minimum, transplant, and stand back"
[/I]

To his mix i added just kelp meal, not because i thought his mix was missing anything, but i thought it wouldn't hurt. i also swapped the perlite for 1/4" pumice lava rock, as well as instead of black gold i used the Worm Farm's local compost w/ 20% castings. he also mentioned that you could do a 50% gypsum 50% oyster shell if your h20 pH is closer to neutral.

Couple of friends of mine used the Worm Farm's "Compost Special Mix" and really liked the mix, they should have a lot of this mix sitting around ready to be delivered and I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be cooked much. You could add some bone meal to it as well.
http://www.thewormfarm.net/products/33-Potting-Soils/240-Compost-Special-Mix-by-The-Worm-Farm/

DRwood

wow very helpful thanks!!! I was wondering though...I have a ton of pretty good soil ive boughten and puten in to my trench the last 2 years...would there be any way I could use some of that soil i already have and add adments to it to make it more firtale? later on today Ill take a pic and show you what im working with.

DRwood

I got nice strains too some blue dream some green crack grand daddy purple...just to say a few....way over stocked thanks to ordinace

B

Butte_Creek

those three cuts i have in my room right now, hah. ill be acquiring a few other varieties as well in the next week.

i don't see why not. what kind of soil?
is it compost based or peat? keep in mind peat becomes very acidic. but i'm pretty sure guys are re-using peat based mixes, just add compost w/ worm casting from a local worm compost farm and some oyster shell. i'd add like 50% compost w/ castings i guess.

you could add some composted chicken/steer manure, bone meal or soft rock phosphate, gypsum, kelp meal(or rock dusts), oyster shell for pH(especially if you've got some old peat in there), some lava rock pumice and/or rice hulls. keep it simple. alfalfa meal is a nice vegan alternative to manures as well.

DRwood

yea I also have train wreck cyndy 99 bubbakush and one new york desil...If you live close maybe I can give you a cut if you need. O yea super silver haze too (too late of a yeilder for my likings)...Yea I bought from the wurm farm last year.....I just need to up my yeild cause of this stupid ordinace....My skill lvl better start sky rocketing dramatically!!

B

Butte_Creek

oh your set then, if it's from worm farm i'm assuming it's compost, no need for new compost, just re-amend, water, and let cook for a little while.

bluedream, and gc will help you up your game for sure, they're beasts! bubbas will bring your overall yield down, and the gdp, your probably aware because of there lack of size come flower, but they're great nugs and variety. train wreck will get big after it's enormous stretch, but make sure to have a game plan when it comes to support with any of these varieties if your going to be planting in 200 or 400s. serious cages and hortinova/trellis-like wrappings during/after stretch.
i'd put a bubba or gdp in a 200 before i put a blue or green or wreck in a 200. the more vigorous sat dom strains can really take advantage and excel in those larger 400gal containers ime.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'll be running tom hill's mix this season, solid mix:

[I]"I've played with a lot of different soil recipes over the years, 1rst year new soil mixes, as well as yearly additives. Here's a very simple mix that is well proven and I am comfortable recommending for those large outdoor containers. It gives about 50 cubic feet or just over 300 gallons (dry U.S), and fills a 6ft diameter container to a depth of about 18inches - perfectly.

25 bags black gold potting soil (1.5cf ea)

4 bags stutzman farms chicken manure (1 cf ea)

1 bag perlite (4 cf ea)

1 bag (50 lbs) bonemeal (steamed, not precipitated)

1/2 bag gypsum (aprox 1/2 cf) - Edit -> 1/2 of a 40 lb bag (20lbs).

Mix well, water thoroughly, let rest for 2-3 weeks minimum, transplant, and stand back"
[/I]

To his mix i added just kelp meal, not because i thought his mix was missing anything, but i thought it wouldn't hurt. i also swapped the perlite for 1/4" pumice lava rock, as well as instead of black gold i used the Worm Farm's local compost w/ 20% castings. he also mentioned that you could do a 50% gypsum 50% oyster shell if your h20 pH is closer to neutral.

Couple of friends of mine used the Worm Farm's "Compost Special Mix" and really liked the mix, they should have a lot of this mix sitting around ready to be delivered and I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be cooked much. You could add some bone meal to it as well.
http://www.thewormfarm.net/products/33-Potting-Soils/240-Compost-Special-Mix-by-The-Worm-Farm/

I grow hydro, but I wanna try your mix with some peppers in my yard.

feenom

the problem with good amended custom soil mixes is that they usually require around three weeks to cook, probably delaying your desired outdoor transplant date...

not true. you can add a healthy dose of blood meal, bone meal, rock phosphate, earth worm castings, kelp, crab, and plant right away...check your temps if you are too hot then buffer with some bagged soil while the rest of the planter cools...i swear some folks just regurgitate what they hear on this board and take things out of context. that particular soil recipe which is heavy on the chicken shit needs time to cook.

G

guest8905

i heard they had to keep the standing room onolyu crowd at the leks lodge from tearing up the place. I also think they are gonna vote two months from now, mid july, on an ordinane, so prepare fore the passing is what i would say......good luck 530, my boys......

R

Rysam

Im on the ridge in Butte, and yeah the ordinance really throws a wrench into plans.
Im only on an acre so 6 it is. The way I understand the process is that it is tabled until august when they will vote on it for good.

My "In-Ground" mix is compost from the airport in Chico,Coir, Horse poop & other manures from craigslist, EJ Bloom mix powder, and some leftover amendments from last season mixed in on top of last seasons holes. Its sitting right now because the plants are still in pots but they will hit the dirt when this stupid rain stops.

I expect something good this year.

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
New county ordinance HELP!!!

Voting next week. How has everyone missed this?

http://www.orovillemr.com/ci_18039193

B

Butte_Creek

feenom

you could add some composted chicken/steer manure, bone meal or soft rock phosphate, gypsum, kelp meal(or rock dusts), oyster shell for pH(especially if you've got some old peat in there), some lava rock pumice and/or rice hulls. keep it simple. alfalfa meal is a nice vegan alternative to manures as well.

^^ ... mentioning some things he could throw in his compost, i should have mentioned the manure really being an issue w/ heating up, my mistake. but i was purely just recommending him some good amendments in the idea of covering all your bases.

i've always tossed rock dusts or bone meal or kelp directly in a hole before sticking a vege or cannabis in it. Regurgitation, I've had an organic vegetable garden and cannabis garden for years, usually don;t follow a specific mix or rule just throw a bunch of amendments available into compost, and when using manure let it cool down. this year i thought id use something tried, like toms mix. obviously rock dusts and plants wont heat up, but like in my second post i mentioned some of those..

he said good mix, i assumed he meant hot and requiring no fertilizer through veg, which in my case always contains some form of manure, although i even mentioned alfalfa as an alternative to manures. i've never liked the idea of blood meal and never used it. neighbors have had horses and llamas... although llama doesn't require any cooking. In my first post i said most good mixes require a few weeks to cook(which was my mistake), i still mentioned in my second post a ton of stuff to throw in his mix, so what's the problem..

i guess if i could go back, i'd never say most good mixes have to cook, that is my own experience, and not the full picture.

Latest posts

Latest posts