What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pocet microscope 60x-100x

Iamnumber

Hi

I have been looking at pocket microscopes and I am looking for feedback on people who have used these.

1) 420scope (and other brands) ~20-30 usd

2) basic chinese scope with uv led and clip to attach to phone. ~7 usd

Is 2 usable?

is (would you consider) 1 worth the extra cost and why? Would you consider the difference (whatever it might be) as minor, moderate of big?

Is the option to attach the microscope to smartphone usable in real life? (sounds nice and usable feature)

The extra uv led in 2 is another feature that has value for me.

Or would you recommend some other?

--------
Links to ebay items for reference:
1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Scope-...m=252765827872&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

2) https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-100X-Mu...l+Microscope&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

Klompen

These days USB microscopes for kids and even for legit scientists are crazy cheap. It would be worth spending extra to get one.

Iamnumber

Thank you for responses !!

Sadly I got impatient and ordered a basic non-usb loupe.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60X-100X-U...063725?hash=item5d6ff19c6d:g:mqQAAOSwWkJY9W3j

The carlson loupe looks really good.. sadly I did not come across it when I searched (other carlson items but not that particular one - love the size!!)

I did manage to find few at stores and got a some feel for these. Many are just too small for me to use as basic loupe therefore I went for the cellphone attachment.

From what I read online.. you can get usb microscope for android .. but info about zoom and field of vision tends to be lacking at best and grossly misleading at worst. So I will try the basic model first and maybe later ..

Usb microscope + laptop is (for my personal preference) not really an option.. just too heavy, too big etc. usb microscope + phone .. interesting but not enough information or positive user reviews for me to order one.. (This with limited research)

So.. with my loupe one big questionmark I have is the field of vision it will provide for given magnification. I guess I will find out soon enough :)

Hopefully info here in this thread will help others looking into these.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have a little hand held loop and found it hard to operate. Convenient, extremely portable (can store in a pocket) but, hard to read clearly with bifocals :( I use my microscope with my old ebook I can actually focus on the buds easier from the computer screen. One size does not fit all :)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I have a little hand held loop and found it hard to operate. Convenient, extremely portable (can store in a pocket) but, hard to read clearly with bifocals :( I use my microscope with my old ebook I can actually focus on the buds easier from the computer screen. One size does not fit all :)
try looking without bi-focals.. I cant see shit w my reading glasses on..

EDIT: when looking thru scopes