What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

c02 generators? High alt low alt? What's difference?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't currently live in high altitude, but might some day. My new state has very high mountain areas and some low areas. I live in a low area. I have built a pretty awesome sealed room for the first time and need to figure out which type of co2 generator purchase. I am leaning towards Titan Controls because everyone says it is so easy to return and get a new one if I ever have issues and they are reliable.

I would be going propane as I imagine that will be far easier to source. I found a good deal on a high alt but I don't want to purchase if I will have issues not being high alt.

Googling I find nothing for answers.

:tiphat:

Iamnumber

Please do define what would high altitude mean in your case..

here (below) is one answer with quick search..

It seems to be a sliding scale of incresing troule as altitude increases. Naturally campers are much more prone to wind etc..

Try searching camper, camper van, expedition camper sites for more precise answers

hope this helps

"

We've encountered few problems with propane at high altitude. Furnace worked fine, even camping at more than 9.000' at Cedar Breaks. You do have adjust cooking though as water boils at a lower temperature. A hard-boiled egg will be a soft-boiled one if you don't compensate your times.

We found cold temperatures had a much greater effect on pressure. At Bandalier NM in New Mexico in December, we were camping in subzero temps, and the pressure dropped substantially. The furnace struggled at -9°F, and we barely got a flicker of flame to make coffee on the stove. When it dropped to -27°F in the Carson NF, the flame was sputtering and the furnace hardly worked at all. I wondered if we had run out of propane, even though we'd just refilled both cylinders in Santa Fe a couple of days before. I went outside to check and the cylinder supplying the camper had coated up with ice more than an inch thick! I switched to the other cylinder and pressure increased, though it too iced up after a while and began dropping in pressure. But we made it through the night. Next day the sun came out and melted off the cylinders, and temps rose above zero, so we were fine."

mowood3479

Veteran
I’d just buy the regular generator.
U can buy new jets (nozzles) for it if you move to a really high altitude locations...
>6,0000 ft.
At least u used to be able to do so. To my knowledge the only difference is in the size of the nozzle

jonesb

Air pressure is lower at higher altitudes, so the fuel to air ratio changes,

on older generators you could buy replacement burners for your altitude, new ones don't know if they are replaceable.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had forgot to come back and answer this question found it by asking the company. Thanks for those answering sure someone will find it helpful.

Latest posts

Latest posts