What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2016

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh ya...my point...hue is the man! I don't care about the browns but I root for him...his players in Oakland loved him...and he did an amazing job considering(insert standard raider bashing here)...I think if anyone can get rgIII to buy in its him

iTarzan

Hold your fire it wasn't like Manning said no to retiring as a Colt. He couldn't because he still had a year left on his Denver contract.

Plus in the NFL HOF they go in with all the teams listed not like baseball with one.

That being said I would not care if he deliberately slapped the Colts in the face and refused to retire as a Colt. He left he isn't a Colt. To come back for a day to technically retire for a team is BS anyways. You were here, you did great, you left, you are no longer a Colt, end of story.

Oh and the Colts have someone better now. That always helps.

Subrob it could have been worse. He could have played for the Chiefs. IMHO that is the true, all time, never going away rivalry in the NFL... Oakland and Kansas City. I don't think they switch players much at all. Do you hate Denver worse than you hate Kansas City?

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Elway is not was not only a smart QB but he is also a smart office guy by keeping him on the injured/retired list. Elway wasn't about to let the colts get all the glory of Peyton manning after they got scared and had to draft luck and start him right away while dumping manning. Say what you want but manning got the Broncos to 8 post season games, 2 conference championships, 2 Super Bowls, A ring, all while breaking records along the way. Obviously his greatness wasn't over and he proved that I would probably hold a grudge against the colts too after making that state and franchise great again basically all by himself.

All I thnk of when I hear hue Jackson is him giving up a 1st and 2nd rd pick up for Carson Palmer and calling it "the greatest trade in football" (no bullshit ). I just don't get why people think he is gonna be so successful? It's nothing personal against the guy I just don't see what others do I guess.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
raiders are looking like they could make some serious noise this season....I think I just barfed a little... good to see ya poppin in subrob..even if you are a raiders fan...lol

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tarzan....I have a very fluid hate for the other AFC west teams....I even still hate the seahawks even though they gone now....and I love the city of Seattle...
As far as biggest rival...def kc....but w elway running the team now...ya...I think for the next couple years at least I hate Denver the most! Ha
Ya deezy...Reggie Mac has turned that team around and shit gonna be dif up in there!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Kaepernick's salary for 2016 became guaranteed today, at the end of the 'league' day. He still might get traded, although Denver doesnt have the salary cap room to absorb his 12M salary without him renegotiating it.
So maybe he sticks with the 49ers and him and Kelly do great things next year.
Not mentioned as often but still important is that the 49ers are sitting on almost 60M of salary cap room still. With most of the big name free agents gone, who are they going to spend all that money on?

Holdyourfire, the other team owners may be envious of the Patriots' success, but Goodell and Kraft are practically besties. Although you dont see any favoritism when Goodell has to penalize the Patriots, but that's just goodell doing his job.

A Raiders fan? I thought Whadeez was the closest thing we had to a raiders fan here, and that was only because they had so many ex-niners on their team.
They had a good offseason so far, signed the best OL out there, Kelechi from Baltimore, stole Irvin from Seattle. They should have another good draft with 8 picks. Isn't it nice to have a team built properly, through careful and conservative planning, instead of overpaying for big name free agents and squandering or trading away draft picks?
Speaking of which, the Giants gave out the biggest contracts this offseason to Oliver Vernon and Janoris Jenkins. I am thinking that those moves may not work out as well as they are hoping...

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
12 mil a year for a QB that's played well, made the playoffs and won games, and a play away from a super bowl ring is a steal in today's league of high paid qbs. Can't believe I'm gonna say this but the 9ers did the right and smart thing. Brock who gets benched for Peyton and in my mind still unproven gets 18 mil a year, Kirk cousins gets 20mil, Bradford 18mil, Ryan fitzy sitting out for a 18 mil a year contact, and I'm sure others. I'd much rather have kaeps potential than any of those guys besides chip Kelly needs kaep and kaep needs Kelly. You get both your qbs situated for about 14.5 mil for the year and one of them already lead the team to a Super Bowl not that long ago, I call that a bargain. That isn't to say the 9ers won't consider wentz or goff if they drop to them.

Elways knows he needs all the money he can save to pay Von miller and get that contract done. He also knows you can win in this league with a amazing d while paying your qb peanuts(examples: Russ Wilson and Andy dalton) which is what he is gonna have to do moving forward if he wants to keeps his best players. I feel like Elways drafts a qb who can mange the game well and not make turnovers, my prediction is he drafts Hogan from Stanford and tries to start him out the gates, he'll cost nothing, he's smart, and it doesn't hurt he went to the same school as elway.

Baba I respectuflly disagree I thhink the Giants made two really good signs but only time will tell if they live up to their contracts.

PaullyHighBred

Supposedly Elway is still interested in Kaep, but only if he'd be willing to restructure after the trade... I wanna see him run Chip's offense tho, but it seems like fences still need mending w/ the front office?

Pats picked up Pot Roast and another TE Clay Harbor who BB had been drooling over last season... Looks like big boy football is coming back to NE, still need to pick up a good power back tho...

And the brilliant boys at Park avenue threatened to sue the NYT for defamation over being tied to Big Tobacco and once again, got thoroughly powned...

As for the Articles’ reporting on the concussion studies, the letter confirms the overarching point that the Article made: The league’s research was deeply flawed and incomplete. The letter bizarrely quibbles not over whether the research was valid (we all agree that it was not) or whether the NFL defended the research for years (we all agree that it did) but whether the NFL continued to “stand by” the research.

While your earlier letter to The Times called the tobacco industry “perhaps the most odious industry in America history,” you somehow fail to mention in either letter that it was your firm that represented Phillip Morris in that RICO case.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I think that kaep is at least 60% assumed to be the starter at this point, but having a QB competition in TC is a good thing, especially since we all know blaine gabbert has more than likely been working/studying his ass off realizing this may be his last shot at a starting gig in the nfl. That being said, gabbert and his current contract are VERY tradeable(and for a higher pick because of the low salary, blaine will play for it because he doesn't have the luxury to hold out at this point in his career, not a proven commodity), especially to a team that is planning on winning championships while showcasing their defense. He had 8 games last season to show he was better than he was when he played in jacksonville. if the niners draft a qb in the first 3 rounds gabbert will be dealt 100%...denver might be able to win another with gabbert, if they had a better run game.

Cap space will roll over, and I believe minimum cap spending is calculated across 4 seasons. this is also the year that rookie contracts would have been extended for the 2012 draft class(of which the niners have none on the roster)

Vernon Davis is from the DC area, if nothing else it's a solid PR move and a cheap camp body; he won't put in any effort though and will likely be cut in TC.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Jordan Reed is an elite receiving TE but he's missed games every year with injuries; bringing Vernon in on a 1 year deal, little guaranteed $$, like whadeez said they can always cut him... yeah he hasn't been good in a couple years but it's little risk for the redskins, and far from their worst free agent signing (theyve had a ton of bad ones ever since snyder took over).

I think the Giants overpaid for a DE and CB, they pretty much set the market for those positions.
When the bears signed Julius peppers to a market-setting contract for defensive lineman, it became hard for them to really get good value from him, unless he was leading his position in sacks and tackles every year.

The league and owners really need to step up and take responsibility for the CTE problem in football. All their attempts to hide it or diminish its seriousness makes them lose credibility - just another bunch of rich asses who'll say or do anything disreputable so long as
they keep cashing dem checks...

PaullyHighBred

Still a lot of chatter about kaep heading to Denver... I'll say this, if Elway gets the donkeys back to the SB this yr or the next, he may well be the greatest GM of all time... providing he isn't still cheating the salary cap like he did as a player... :D

The NFL is in a no win situation with CTE and could be on the hook for billions... with a B... More and more studies are starting to show its more then just concussions when it comes to CTE = it has more to do with the cumulative effect of "minor" impacts to the head/brain... kinda like linemen being in the equivalent of dozens of car accidents per game... A metric shit ton of players are still waiting in the wings with mushy brains and huge medical expenses...

iTarzan

The question remains unanswered Pauly. Yes or no is all that is required but you can feel free to give a longer answer if you want. Unanswered is basically a microcosm of why Brady is getting deservedly suspended for 4 games.

Why do people complain that the NFL is getting soft and then argue that the NFL is ignoring head injuries?

These players did it to themselves. They don't tackle anymore. They launch themselves and hope they knock the guy down or out of the game. Then they want sympathy when they can't walk, talk or think. Plus they want to blame it all on hits and not steroids, alcohol, cocaine, molly and whatever else they love doing.

PaullyHighBred

The question remains unanswered Pauly. Yes or no is all that is required but you can feel free to give a longer answer if you want. Unanswered is basically a microcosm of why Brady is getting deservedly suspended for 4 games.

Lol lets not go full iTard here and make this somehow about Brady too shall we?...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Why do people complain that the NFL is getting soft and then argue that the NFL is ignoring head injuries?
[/FONT]

1. Are these the same people?
2. If so, are they wrong?
3. This isn't a yes or no question...

The NFL is getting soft (we as a society are getting soft) we live in a kinder gentler era, everyone's a special snowflake and everyone's feelings are important... The NFL is just trying to play catch-up...

It a gladiator sport, it will always be a gladiator sport... I have no problem with that (hint: I like it) But where most people have a problem is pretending its safe, or being lied to for decades about the long term dangers of head injuries...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
These players did it to themselves. They don't tackle anymore. They launch themselves and hope they knock the guy down or out of the game.
[/FONT]

You think that might have something to do w/ how they were coached??? How do separate a receiver from the ball? You spear him in the fuckin head. At least that's how we used to and that's how we were coached up for a long time... You think these kids just decided to stop form tackling???

And lets not pretend like the NFL didn't profit from glorifying big hits either... all while hiding concussion data, funding intentionally bad science and LYING about it. A lot like Big Tobacco...

I love the NFL, but I'm not so in love that I'll pretend they aren't also shady as fuck... Just like I won't pretend inhaling burnt polycyclic hydrocarbons is somehow good for me...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Still a lot of chatter about kaep heading to Denver...

The NFL is in a no win situation with CTE and could be on the hook for billions... with a B... More and more studies are starting to show its more then just concussions when it comes to CTE = it has more to do with the cumulative effect of "minor" impacts to the head/brain... kinda like linemen being in the equivalent of dozens of car accidents per game... A metric shit ton of players are still waiting in the wings with mushy brains and huge medical expenses...

Everyone agrees Colin would be foolish to give up guaranteed money just to get out of Santa Clara, but im not sure if he stays the Kaepernick and Kelly marriage would automatically work out. Colin's big problem the past couple of years is that he seemed more dedicated to improving himself physically (strength, speed) than mentally or mechanically.

Does this mean NFL franchises should really be valued less than what they are now? Maybe in the future teams will be cheap we could pool everyone on icmag to buy one...

These players did it to themselves. They don't tackle anymore. They launch themselves and hope they knock the guy down or out of the game. Then they want sympathy when they can't walk, talk or think. Plus they want to blame it all on hits and not steroids, alcohol, cocaine, molly and whatever else they love doing.

That's a good point, the rules that have taken the dangerous hits out of the game have really opened up offenses.

But what if the player was self-medicating partly because of the brain trauma he suffered from his job?
Then again, yeah, hard to pin how much of the brain damage is attributable to the NFL, as opposed to high school or college football.

Lol lets not go full iTard here and make this somehow about Brady too shall we?...

You think that might have something to do w/ how they were coached??? How do separate a receiver from the ball? You spear him in the fuckin head. At least that's how we used to and that's how we were coached up for a long time... You think these kids just decided to stop form tackling???

And lets not pretend like the NFL didn't profit from glorifying big hits either... all while hiding concussion data, funding intentionally bad science and LYING about it. A lot like Big Tobacco...

I love the NFL, but I'm not so in love that I'll pretend they aren't also shady as fuck... Just like I won't pretend inhaling burnt polycyclic hydrocarbons is somehow good for me...

Do you live in China? I hear the air there is kind of gnarly...

I love it when you two go back and forth on brady and the patriots. This is what fandom is all about.

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Surprised no one came on to mention the Rams trading up and now it seems for goff, seems like a whole lot to give up for goff but I guess if it works out it won't matter. not sure but felt like the Rams could've gotte goff without trading for the number 1 pick.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The Rams traded up from #15 in the first round to the first overall pick, supposedly in order to pick Goff or maybe Wentz.

Not sure if they needed to trade up to #1 overall if they wanted Goff, but maybe they thought Wentz would go to the Browns at #2 and Goff to the Cowboys at #4.
They have a pretty complete team but for the QB, so maybe this isn't so much of an overpay for them, and moving to LA, maybe they wanted to make some big moves to build a winning team.
Their last good qb's were kurt warner (undrafted free agent, came from the arena league) and marc bulger, a 6th round pick of the saints who got picked up by the rams for their practice squad the next year. So maybe it's too much to expect to get a starting qb off the scrap heap like they did over a decade ago...

Draft is next week, wonder if we'll see any more trades.

Drew Rosenhaus dumped Johnny Manziel as a client, which has to be another red flag for him. I mean, Rosenhaus put up with Terrell Owens shit for years, but at least Terrell was a good player and worked hard at his job.

If the bears go defensive line at #11, i wouldnt mind seeing them go after Nkemdiche. He's got some red flags as well, but as long as he can stay away from the devil's lettuce (or at least pass his drug tests) then im fine with over-reaching for him...

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Well draft starts at pick 3 now. Philly jumping up to two to grab what I am assuming will be wentz. It'll be interesting what the Cowboys do with their pick at 4 now probably beef up the d with either Ramsey or bosa, reports of them taking zeke bothers me a bit I feel like he's gonna be really good but can get a good rb later for better value.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I'm totally sprung on deforrest buckner, DE from oregon....he should be there @ #7, who knows. I want trench players early regardless.

roseman is a fucktard, and laurie is about to find out lol.