What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1.2 EC going in 2.2 EC coming out....HELP!

thewhitelotus

Veteran
So i recently just got a bluelab truncheon to measure the EC of my runoff.

Im currently running coco hempys in the 5th week of flower. They are getting fed once a day with quite a bit of overflow runoff. When i checked my EC of the runoff the other day is was nearly 3 so i whipped up some 1/4 strenght nutes and flushed until my EC was similar to what was going in.

Now, a week later with 1.2 EC feedings its slowly crept back up to around 2 as of yesterday. Are they just not eating what im giving them or what? H&G recommends base nutes EC of 1.2 before adding their hardener.....im only going to .8EC before adding.

Not really sure whats going on or what i should do to solve this. Next run I will be using drip clean for sure.

thanks

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As long as your sure what is going in is correct no worries. Are you having any plant issues??? Testing the runoff is not very accurate. I only do this if im having plant issues. The info it gives is limited. I only get data on what end the spectrum is low or high for EC/pH.

Even with Organic hand waterings I need to know what it is befoer I use it. I check the PH/EC it must be in the correct range. I never follow the directions on the bottle. It will cause more issues if you follow it. I cut it in half for strains that I have not grown yet using it. Strains I have grown I know how much to use. I have the recipe in my notes for ea strain I grow.

CaStoner

No they are drinking more water than nutes that's why your E.C is rising, feed them straight water every other feeding, also good to flush once in a while to remove salt build ups. This is especially true when growing in soil if your adding 1.2 e.c without flushing then the soil tend to get concentrated with a lot salt run-off may as high as 3 e.c etc......Let the plant tell you what it needs not what you think is right.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use 100% Organic. Flushing is not necessary wont do anything as there is no salt to build up. If your using Chem nutrients I can't help you maybe CaStoner can

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Im running in straight Bcuzz coco with 15% perlite mixed in. My plants look healthy as can be with zero signs of deficiencies. In regards to what im putting in, ive even cut back what House & Garden recommends....they say base nutes EC to 1.2 then additives....im using .8EC then additives and still getting this very high EC.

Also, i didnt flush my Bcuzz coco beforehand so this might have something to do with it. My clones i just transplanted in H&G coco, but this time i poured a couple waves of boiling water through the medium and let it dry before using it.

When flushing with coco, just used a diluted nutrient solution until the runoff EC is similar to what is goin in? thanks

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude if it 's not broke dont fix it. If you are feeding wit the right PH and EC levels your fine dont worry about what the run off says its not accurate at all.

I use all Organics but still like to know what my EC/PH levels are. I write this info down In my grow log book..

Strain name : Rare Dankness Sour Diesel
Veg time: 8 weeks
veg Nutrients used: PBP 10 mils per g
Bloom Nutrients Used: PBP 10 mils per g
Flower Boost used: High P guano Tea. 3X a week from weeks 3-7 of flower....
Topped,LST,fim, Training.....All used
Pot size to flower in:5-8 g
Type of Soil Used or Mixed: FFOF,FFHF,Botanicare COCOGRO, EWC.....
PH:6.3-6.8
EC Flower start: .8
EC Flower Stop: 2
Stop feeding Nutrients week 8 of flower Indica: yes /no
Stop feeding Nutrients week 10 of flower Sativa: yes /no
Hope this helps

CaStoner

Yes that would be the best to match the run-off. I wouldn't go with what they recommend, go with what the plants are telling you. I see a lot plants in late flower with curled up over nute leaves because they're thinking adding 1.2 E.C when their plants are only drinking water so now the solution is 2.e.c or more...3 e.c...

Y

YosemiteSam

I use 100% Organic. Flushing is not necessary wont do anything as there is no salt to build up. If your using Chem nutrients I can't help you maybe CaStoner can

If there were actually zero salt buildup how could you measure an EC?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are correct. Organics dont measure accurately. I still use the data its very consistent in the readings bottle to bottle.

lol there is some Minerals in all Organics. I have used many different brands so far they all give a reading. its not accurate but gives me data to go buy. It has worked out very well for me. I will keep doing it like this until I find a better way. I just cant get passed dumping in stuff not knowing what the PH/EC is

thewhitelotus

Veteran
thanks for the wealth of info everyone! Im going to add a couple gallons of PHd tap to my res to bring down the EC to around .5 or .6 and give them a good flushing.

Im right there with ya in the thought of "if it aint broke dont fix it", but i have to believe if i just continue about my business the EC will continue to rise and eventually cause problems....the last thing i want the final 3-4 weeks of flowering.

Do you guys flush coco with straight PHd tap water or a weak .5EC nutrient solution? ive always heard never flush with just straight tap.