What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 st time cloning, does this sound ok?

Cloning tray is in the cupboard that has my hot water tank in it, when the heating is off it's about 75 - 80 in there, with the heating on 90 - 100.
Got the tray under a 25w energy saving bulb, that kicks out 1200 lumins.

18/6 lighting. pitch black in there.

Does that sound ok, any problems you can see with this?

Many thanks.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
When you make clones you're just interested in growing roots. I set my cuttings aside in my veg area. They get very little light. Just enough to keep them going. Not even under or close to the light. Your area should work well. Mist them several times daily. Got them under a dome right?

When you make clones you're just interested in growing roots. I set my cuttings aside in my veg area. They get very little light. Just enough to keep them going. Not even under or close to the light. Your area should work well. Mist them several times daily. Got them under a dome right?

Yeah, in a propagator.

Thanks H H.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Cloning under domes makes the plant dependent on lethal levels of RH. Weaning clones to ambient RH can see high casualty rates. The need for domes generally stems from excessive plant material. Short cuts with well trimmed leaves can root dome free in RH as low as 15%.

If you need a dome, go for it, just wean them slowly to life outside the dome. If you can do without the dome, you won't have to wean.

If you need a dome, go for it, just wean them slowly to life outside the dome. If you can do without the dome, you won't have to wean.

Yep, that :laughing:

I clone in normal seedling soil in 2 1/2" pots with a dash of rooting powder. I use a heated propagator with a dome on for about 7-10 days, making sure to take the cover off at least once a day to change the air. After that, the dome comes off, but the heater stays on for another couple of weeks - I have to be a little careful not to let them dry out during this phase. BTW, the illumination is provided by a couple of 2 foot 20W fluros about a foot and a half away, just enough to let the babies know that they haven't been forgotten ;)

I might not get super fast roots this way (some say they get roots in a week!), but by three weeks I get 100% success and by 4-5 weeks I can transplant to bigger pots.

This "slow" method works just fine for me as my flavourite strain takes 10-11 weeks to finish properly and I've nowhere to put plants that are too big too early!