What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Matt Stang arrested in federal mariuana bust

mens rea

News: High Times Writer Busted in Pot Ring

News: High Times Writer Busted in Pot Ring

The size of the "ring" is more than likely exaggerated, but here's the story:

So much for the high life.

Cops busted a writer for marijuana magazine High Times along with 45 other people, including a man behind a major hip-hop label, for allegedly operating a multi-million dollar pot ring.

Police arrested magazine writer Matthew Woodstock Stang and Kareem Burke, who founded Roc-a-Fella records along with Jay-Z and Damon Dash, in the federal takedown.

Prosecutors say the marijuana was grown hydroponically in Florida and smuggled to New York for sale. Stang was allegedly the guy who supplied the marijuana to the man who ran the pot ring, identified as Geovanny "Manny" Rodriguez Perez.

"In the case of the High Times employee, it's a case of art imitating real life," Jim Hayes, a special agent who heads Homeland Security Investigations for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told the New York Post.

Federal agents say they seized $2 million and more than 360 pounds of marijuana in the bust. Hayes said authorities would centralize their efforts on ensuring competing pot networks don't use the same methods to ship marijuana across state lines.

Stang was released on $500,000 bail and ordered to wear a monitoring bracelet. High Times didn't return the Post's requests for comment. Burke was remanded after his arraignment.

Source: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/High-Times-Writer-Nabbed-in-Pot-Bust--105097879.html

excalibud7

medium and large size organizations can and do attract attention. lessons to be learned. break off. be invisible. no noticeable communications. always changing. never obvious. blend. no footprint. observe your surroundings. have legitimate income. be nice. :)

PREACH

dj digigrow

Roc-A-Fella records co-founders Jay-z, Kareem Biggs, and Dame Dash have broke up for like 5years already... Jayz started Roc Nation a few years ago and severed tied with the old co founders.. so hes in the clear...
I always wished to be BIGGS cause he had all the $$ but no fame so he could still go out in public!..
millions and millions for over 20 years = 10yrs prob. end up getting 5yrs.. worth the risk IMHO!!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They can't fuck with Jay Z anyways, dude has more money than they do! :bigeye:

Cultivation laws don't even matter - they have them on wiretap conspiracy to move 1,000 kilos across state lines...

Matt's been a really good, friendly dude the half-dozen times I've met him, but I'd heard rumors that things were getting loose out there... Burke and them are real criminals who do real criminal things - poor guy got caught up with the wrong crowd.

bubbleman

Veteran
Sorry to hear about this... Matt is a Friend.. and one of my main contacts in amsterdam during the cup... I guess we won't be seeing him this year...

never would i have guessed he was rocking in that world.. guy is super nice humble dude...

I hope it works out in the end for you bro..
picture.php

peace
Bubble man

BIG JT

I don't understand why they would grow in Florida, the penalties are horrible down there...but I can see why they would bring it to NY, prices are outrageous

They grow it in Florida because of the nice weather, ridiculously cheap living expenses, and healthy supply of illegal Cubans to look over the houses and take the fall. I'm sure it also had to do with isolating the production and distribution networks.

They grow it in Florida because of the nice weather, ridiculously cheap living expenses, and healthy supply of illegal Cubans to look over the houses and take the fall. I'm sure it also had to do with isolating the production and distribution networks.

lol. i think that is a little too much scarface. Cuban immigrants? You act like you can pick em up at Home Depot and tell em to watch your shit. ???

Much simpler is Florida's crazy real estate market and all the empty condos half the year. Think elderly folks who live in FLA for the winter and their nephew greens out the house during the summer. No rent. Very little risk. Whole empty neighborhoods down there during the summer. Our jewish friends grow some good weed.

:thank you:

asher1er

Veteran
Matt Stang arrested in federal mariuana bust

lol. i think that is a little too much scarface. Cuban immigrants? You act like you can pick em up at Home Depot and tell em to watch your shit. ???

Much simpler is Florida's crazy real estate market and all the empty condos half the year. Think elderly folks who live in FLA for the winter and their nephew greens out the house during the summer. No rent. Very little risk. Whole empty neighborhoods down there during the summer. Our jewish friends grow some good weed.

:thank you:

Johnny's more on point here.. Empty condos? A condo won't produce what the usual mersh grower is trying to put out... Maybe Fl has more people willing to take the risk then what Ny has... And yeah undocumented care takers play a big role here.. The US does not deport to Cuba.... And if and when shit hits the fan they all ready have some good money sent back home to the fams...

Fl didn't start producing when all the empty homes started popping up.. They been in the scene for ages..