What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Dog 600w vs Gavita 1000w

Piggiesmalls

I live in CO, have two rooms running right now and am thinking of expanding. While waiting for my power upgrade I have been looking at lights for my new rooms and also for my existing rooms. I looked at two local light suppliers here, Boulderlamp Inc (for CMH) and Black Dog. Normally I wouldn't look at Black Dog because it's super expensive, but after reading tons of lighting threads I keep hearing that LEDs are superior to CMH for production and are at least comparable in power saving.

Now for my questions. I have 6 3x3 trays that are lit by a 1k Gavita. I am looking to switch those for Black Dog Phytomax2 600w. I have searched the LED forum but I dind't see any Black Dog threads, has anyone used these with good results? I know there are tons of factors but are these "comparable" to a 1k for a 3x3 tray (I usually pull 1.25-1.5 per 3x3)? They have a 90 day policy so I could always return them if they are terrible but missing a cycle would set me back.

If anyone has any suggestions on LEDs other than Black Dog, I'm all ears, with two caveats:
1. I don't want to DIY. If it were a tent I might be game, but my rooms are production oriented so I want a proven light that has a warranty that others will fix.
2. I STRONGLY prefer a local company so I can talk to them face to face and walk in if I have a problem.

boroboro

Almost fits your #2 requirement: I picked lights from Pacific Light Concepts for an application like this. It looked like a good product at a good price, everything but the ETL/UL listing. Joe answered my emails and all my questions promptly, and I haven't even made the purchase yet.

He even did some well-justified calculations when I was asking about a particular room layout.

Latest posts

Latest posts