What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Major Internet Service Provider to institute so-called 6 strickes plan year's end

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Majo...kes_plan_by_year’s_end/21926/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Major Internet service providers to institute so-called six-strikes plan by year’s end
October 9, 2012
Print Version
Source: Wired
The nation’s major internet service providers by year’s end will institute a so-called six-strikes plan, the “Copyright Alert System” initiative backed by the Obama administration and pushed by Hollywood and the major record labels to disrupt and possibly terminate internet access for online copyright scofflaws.
The plan, now four years in the making, includes participation by AT&T, Cablevision Systems, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon. After four offenses, the historic plan calls for these residential internet providers to initiate so-called “mitigation measures” (.pdf) that might include reducing internet speeds and redirecting a subscriber’s service to an “educational” landing page about infringement.
The internet companies may eliminate service altogether for repeat file-sharing offenders, although the plan does not directly call for such drastic action.
“We are farily confident the program will launch by year’s end,” said Jill Lesser, the executive director of the Center for Copyright Information, the name of the group behind the program.
The program, which monitors peer-to-peer file-sharing services, was to have been deployed sooner, according to Gigi Sohn, president of digital rights group Public Knowledge, and an adviser to the center.
Sohn noted that the internet was aflame in January with federal anti-piracy proposals — the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act — both of which went down in flames amid a huge backlash and internet blackout.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
those file sharers are stealing after all,those movies are someones property just like your house and the stuff inside it...

right on unk!!!
so nice I'll rep that twice.

if one of these crybaby's were to have their paycheck divided up by a bunch of rock bands they'd go fucking ballistic.......

gingerale

Veteran
The day (and it's coming) these cocksuckers find themselves beaten, bloodied, thrown up against the wall and staring down some angry young punk's gun barrel, they won't feel so smug and cocky then. Didn't these assholes learn anything from the French Revolution?

"He who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it."

gingerale

Veteran
The file sharing are stealing? Nonsense. How can you "steal" information? Copyright infringement is not theft. Anything else to the contrary is RIAA/MPAA/MAFIA propaganda. Am I missing some sarcasm here, or....?

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
This will only catch the low hanging fruit. Anyone with half a brain that's doing something they don't want their ISP to see knows a thing or two about Tor by now, I'd hope. And fyi for the downloaders: use DLDs instead of torrents.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no sarcasm,i thought it was pretty simple,when you take something without the owners permission thats called stealing,that includes copyrighted material.someone worked to create that and they expect to be payed for it,kinda like its their job or something....now that was sarcasm...

gingerale

Veteran
no sarcasm,i thought it was pretty simple,when you take something without the owners permission thats called stealing,that includes copyrighted material.someone worked to create that and they expect to be payed for it,kinda like its their job or something....now that was sarcasm...

Maybe I'm just too high, but I'm still confused....are you being sarcastic or not? Copyright infringment is not stealing. By saying it's such, you're doing the exact same thing as all the anti-marijuana citizens out there who sit on their high and mighty horse and judge us for what is actually a perfectly peaceable and morally righteous activity.

Copyright as a legal doctrine is complete fucking horseshit, an invention of mankind, which just like many government programs and systems (such as the patent system) had noble intentions from the outset but has since been twisted to evil ends. The copyright term (originally meant to secure rights "for a limited time,") has been extended out so much that it's now the life of the author plus 70 years. So if I write a song, then long after I'm dead and gone, my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids will continue to reap royalties from anything which involves that song. Really? Do you really seriously honestly believe it's in the best interests of society for the tax man to show up every time somebody has the audacity to sing Happy Birthday in public, long after the guy who wrote it is dead and buried? Most of the money doesn't even go to the creators, it goes to the huge distribution companies and media companies who divide the spoils among themselves and their slimy politician friends, then throw a bone or two to the artist. Do you really think Disney should be able to continue extending copyright law infinitely forever with their bought legislators just so that (SHOCK! HORROR!) Mickey Mouse doesn't fall into the public domain?

There are unfathomable benefits to society from the free exchange of information. Unfathomable. Just take this forum for instance. How much has the science of growing cannabis increased over the past 15 years alone, thanks to forums like these? The exact same benefit applies to sharing of cultural and artistic items such as music, movies, TV shows, etc. There are leagues of people out there who have become masterful musicians thanks to MP3s, Napster, etc when they would have otherwise never been exposed to most of this music. Nobody loses anything if a broke college student downloads a movie or even a hundred movies he would have otherwise been unable to afford. Copyright infringement is a victimless crime, i.e. not a crime at all in a sane and just society. Mankind is meant to share, and these corporate mother fuckers are tightening the nooses ever tighter and trying to control and monetize every nut and bolt in this country. Want to know why the economy is in the shitter? That's the exact reason. Copyright is only one brick in a huge, crumbling wall.

Last edited:

iampolluted

it's illegal to share files. not download them. the people hosting the torrents, and incessant seeders are guilty of violating copyright laws. if you don't host copyrighted material, and don't seed downloads, you are fine. you are legally able to obtain a digital copy of music, literature, whatever as long as you own a copy. i could download an entire discography, as a "copy," if i "already legally own it." copies are legal, sharing those copies without express permission of the artist is copyright infringement. look it up.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The day (and it's coming) these cocksuckers find themselves beaten, bloodied, thrown up against the wall and staring down some angry young punk's gun barrel, they won't feel so smug and cocky then. Didn't these assholes learn anything from the French Revolution?

"He who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it."

right on!!!

and their new cry to rally might be something like this.......

"You can have my iPod when you pry it from my cold dead greedy little music thievin' fingers!"

I friggin' love it, very funny stuff ginger.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe I'm just too high, but I'm still confused....are you being sarcastic or not? Copyright infringment is not stealing. By saying it's such, you're doing the exact same thing as all the anti-marijuana citizens out there who sit on their high and mighty horse and judge us for what is actually a perfectly peaceable and morally righteous activity.

Copyright as a legal doctrine is complete fucking horseshit, an invention of mankind, which just like many government programs and systems (such as the patent system) had noble intentions from the outset but has since been twisted to evil ends. The copyright term (originally meant to secure rights "for a limited time,") has been extended out so much that it's now the life of the author plus 70 years. So if I write a song, then long after I'm dead and gone, my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids will continue to reap royalties from anything which involves that song. Really? Do you really seriously honestly believe it's in the best interests of society for the tax man to show up every time somebody has the audacity to sing Happy Birthday in public, long after the guy who wrote it is dead and buried? Most of the money doesn't even go to the creators, it goes to the huge distribution companies and media companies who divide the spoils among themselves and their slimy politician friends, then throw a bone or two to the artist. Do you really think Disney should be able to continue extending copyright law infinitely forever with their bought legislators just so that (SHOCK! HORROR!) Mickey Mouse doesn't fall into the public domain?

There are unfathomable benefits to society from the free exchange of information. Unfathomable. Just take this forum for instance. How much has the science of growing cannabis increased over the past 15 years alone, thanks to forums like these? The exact same benefit applies to sharing of cultural and artistic items such as music, movies, TV shows, etc. There are leagues of people out there who have become masterful musicians thanks to MP3s, Napster, etc when they would have otherwise never been exposed to most of this music. Nobody loses anything if a broke college student downloads a movie or even a hundred movies he would have otherwise been unable to afford. Copyright infringement is a victimless crime, i.e. not a crime at all in a sane and just society. Mankind is meant to share, and these corporate mother fuckers are tightening the nooses ever tighter and trying to control and monetize every nut and bolt in this country. Want to know why the economy is in the shitter? That's the exact reason. Copyright is only one brick in a huge, crumbling wall.

you were being serious???????

gingerale

Veteran
it's illegal to share files. not download them.

Yes, and that joint in your hand is illegal as well. What's your point?

right on!!!

and their new cry to rally might be something like this.......

"You can have my iPod when you pry it from my cold dead greedy little music thievin' fingers!"

I friggin' love it, very funny stuff ginger.

Bury your head in the sand all you like Stoner, it will happen--the scenario I outlined, not yours. Yes, leagues of smirking morons will be shocked by it. Then still others like me will just shake our heads in pity and disgust. Even back in the 1800s people were warning against the inevitable backlash (a growing disrespect for the law) that would come about as the copyright law was used for abusive purposes, but of course, nobody listened or cared.

Why do war and revolutions happen? Because all humans are stupid and arrogant.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

sorry, no disrespect intended, I just figured YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!! comparing the French Revolution to a revolt over music/movie theft.

but hey! my mistake, I'll
change my posts pronto.......

:tumbleweed:

iampolluted

my point is if you aren't hosting and only downloading, while not sharing but maybe a fraction of 1% of info (seeding), they can't touch you....legally. do you honestly think the federal government or time warner or verizon will know if i've ever purchased anything i have downloaded on my pc? they can't. i've given away so many cd's, tapes, dvd's, vhs movies, and albums over the years i could fill a mini van. they'd have to prove i had never owned a copy of the material. then can spend millions trying to investigate what i've bought throughout my life, but ya think they'd be able to track down the guy i bought 4 cd's from in 1993, when i didn't even know his name?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see both sides to a limited extent, but think that it is largely bullshit of the first stripe. Back when Napster was still rolling, I thought that I had gone to heaven - I like old blues, and it has always been impossible to find. The ironic thing is, those old blues guys never made a fucking nickel off of their music, and their descendants still aren't. For instance, Jimmy Yancey is probably one of the hottest pianists that ever lived, and he made a living as a groundskeeper at Comiskey Park. Good thing that RIAA got involved to protect the record company's profits on some 60 year old music that the original musician never got anything out of. This shit has gotten so ridiculous that the Supremes are supposed to rule soon on what you can sell second hand and what you can't. Bizarre.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
hummmm now this is a slippier sloop you have choosen to go down.. Does this include Music, Information,,, Unfortunately filesharing encompasses many of these particular materials so they could go to town on shutting ppl down for NO GOOD REASON.. This is a very dangerous tactic played by a totalitarian Gov.
Look I see and understand the artists point of view on music I really do. If He/She wants to stop ppl from downloading their tunes then by all means they should have somthing in place ,,sure...But for the rest of the underground that want all their tunes heard WTF?
The next is the info.If we let them do this then they will stop more and more info from getting to the public and this would be VERY VERY BAD!! trust me on this one.. I have noticed that they are trying to get away with more and more bullshit every single day and they definately need to be stopped! headband 707

Latest posts

Latest posts