What's new

clone problems with ez-cloner

I havent had this happen before so if anyone knows what the problem is I would appreciate the help.
The clones were dipped in ez clone rooting gel then placed in cloner with ph'd water, Im not sure of the tempature but the water feels fine just slightly cool, the problem is the stem in the cloner is swelling up fatter and some have curled, they have been in there for 7 days, I havent changed the water out or misted them with anything. I would appreciate any ideas or advice, thanks. I have had 100% success in the past doing I believe the same thing btw.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
When was the last time you field stripped and sterilized your equipment? EZ cloners are infamous for great success followed by immediate catastrophic failure. In most cases, because they haven't been cleaned.

40AmpstoFreedom Discusses the use of EWC tea in EZ-Cloner review

Thanks for the response,I havent cleaned it I have only ran it once before and figured it wouldnt be a problem but that sounds like it could be the problem, if the stems are swelling is that a sign of disease or infection or something possibly?

itzaplant

cleaning after every use is the key to the easy clonners dont get lazy do ur cleaning if u want thing to work right

Im reading through the thread you posted freezer. thanks. Im not sure where to get earthe worms castings, but do you think if i sterilized the cloner, maybe add some olivias liquid rooting solution and i have sweet which could probably substitue for the molases, and possible add some zone to the solution. I have those products on hand do you think I should try adding all of them and do you think it is to late to try and add zone top save them I dont have any slime on them yet at least. Thanks

I suppose I was "lazy" and just got away with it in the past with other cloners, but If you have any imput on possibly saving them or maybe a mix to use the next time besides earth worm castings with stuff I have on hand it might be more helpful.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
I suppose I was "lazy" and just got away with it in the past with other cloners, but If you have any imput on possibly saving them or maybe a mix to use the next time besides earth worm castings with stuff I have on hand it might be more helpful.
They are EZ as long as you clean them.
I run BioGreenClean through the sucker for 24hrs between uses.

Basically, clean, sterilize, then reintroduce your clones with a little 35%H2O2 (~3ml/gal). You can add light nutes/rooting hormones if you want.
Stay away from sugars. EWC gets brewed in a separate container then introduced. Save the EWC experiments for later.
Your problem is aquatic hygiene.
:blowbubbles:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
if the stems are swelling is that a sign of disease or infection or something possibly?

Not an EZ user. Never experienced the swelling. But, the threads on "Why'd it stop working" are legion. In the absence of obvious faults: temps, pump failure, rot, algae, pH... we need to look for reasons that aren't immediately visible. Things like tiny, little germs invisible to the eye.

How desperate are you for this batch to go through right now? If you really need THIS batch, in the absence of foul smell or visible rot, I'd keep going. If you can spare a few days time and have donor material available, I'd field strip and wash everything with a 5% bleach solution (1 part bleach, 19 parts water) followed by a LONG, STRONG rinse in running water.

Break a stem.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
... I'm not sure of the tempature but the water feels fine just slightly cool, the problem is the stem in the cloner is swelling up fatter and some have curled, they have been in there for 7 days...

I'm using a do it yourself EZ Cloner. I've had stems curl, swell, and split, and eventually sprout roots. If they're green, and not slimy or squishy, then I'd give them more time. My water temp is kept between 75 and 80 f.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I will give them a few more days since there is no smell or alge and see what happens. I do have back up material to work with so if they dont root ill bleach and rinse with steaming water really well and try again.

M

Mr dude

i seen stems try to curl all the way back out a cup of water i seen them swell as well right before they start to root none of it is a problem i think except rotting slimey stems

houdini

I've got an EZ cloner and as lots of people have said, you need to sterilize the whole system, including pump, before each use. I've seen people with terrible pythium problems due to lack of cleanliness.
I always sterilize with h2o2 first then I add h2o2 to the tank water once the cuttings are in place. Temps are also important, 80F being ideal.