What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I was legal yeasterday and today Im not. WTF

greenwithenvy

Veteran
Wyoming's self-described 'conservative council' bans medical marijuana

WYOMING, MI -- Licensed by the state to grow and dispense marijuana for medicinal purposes, Ernest Richards at the same time was breaking federal law. Now, the Wyoming man also is violating city ordinance.
Wyoming City Council in a unanimous vote Monday enacted a ban on medical marijuana, joining several municipalities on the east side of Michigan.
“I’m not going to stop doing what I’m doing,” Richards said. “As far as I’m concerned, the state granted me this right.”
Like many communities, Wyoming has been exploring regulations to govern the use of medical marijuana that Michigan voters approved in 2008. City voters passed the proposal in 27 of 28 precincts.
Wyoming Planning Commission last month was gridlocked in 4-4 votes on whether to recommend regulations or a ban. The city attorney advised against prohibition, saying it likely would prompt a lawsuit.
But elected officials on the self-described “conservative council” said allowing marijuana to be dispensed outside the pharmaceutical system could pose public-safety hazards. They passed an ordinance outlawing medical marijuana locally because it’s against federal law.
“There’s a right way to do it. The state of Michigan did this the wrong way,” said Mayor Jack Poll, a pharmacist. “There’s rights and there’s wrongs and there’s ways that we feel in our heart on how we need to vote.
“My fear is what (medical marijuana) can do to our neighborhoods.”
Medical marijuana advocates urged officials to respect the 2008 vote, claiming that a ban steals people’s right to grow the plants and forces them instead to buy the product on the street. Pushing the drug back underground will remove legal competition among caregivers and endanger the health of people who use marijuana to relieve pain caused by various medical conditions, they said.
“What you’re going to end up with is criminals running the show,” said Todd Dyer, a medical marijuana caregiver and executive director of the West Michigan Compassion Club. “It’s time to grow up and realize this is a medicinal plant.
“I don’t trust a drug company. I trust Mother Earth. I trust nature.”
Richards said he will fight to have Wyoming’s ban rescinded.
“It’s a matter of making the city do what’s right,” he said. “They can’t legislate values on the municipal level. They’re espousing their own values through their decision-making whether they admit it or not.
“The fundamental basis is they don’t recognize it as a medicine.”

AbbieDoobie

I don't trust any government to grant me the right to grow and smoke mj. Even if was passed from the Feds on down. Some asshole is going to fuck ya over anyway just cuz he doesn't like you or something. As a very wise man once said 2000 years ago, "Go into your closet, and do it in secret, and your Father will reward you in secret."

bobblehead

Veteran
That's dumb... Grand Rapids is a rather hippie area... fuckin shakedown street man! My fav. head shop ever. I guess I'll have to make sure I'm careful this Thanksgiving when I go to Wyoming...

greenwithenvy

Veteran
I like this quote:

“I’m not going to stop doing what I’m doing,” Richards said. “As far as I’m concerned, the state granted me this right.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
But elected officials on the self-described “conservative council” said allowing marijuana to be dispensed outside the pharmaceutical system could pose public-safety hazards. They passed an ordinance outlawing medical marijuana locally because it’s against federal law.

This just goes to show you how out of touch and closed minded these folks are. They think the pharmaceutical system is safe and the right way to go for anything medicinal and yet in many parts of the country the greatest drug crisis ever is pharmaceuticals.

If pharmaceuticals are so safe then how come I see dozens of ads on tv every day about class action lawsuits against this prescription drug or that? If the pharmaceutical system is so safe and superior how come it was allowed to become routine to prescribe anti depressents to children only to later realize it was a bad idea but only after kids started killing themselves because of it?

GrinStick

should investigate some of the court cases in cali; is MI medical granted by the state?
if so then municipalities are violating your right as a state citizen to choose responsible care. If the right is granted by the state, it can only be removed by the state.(IMO)

bobblehead

Veteran
It's called an ordinance. The city is allowed to further govern privileges granted under state law. For example, in some counties, you can't sell liquor on Sundays... Liquor sales are still legal under both state and federal law.

In regards to restricting medication... I bet this could be challenged in court. I'm not going to be the one with a violation that finds out.

bobblehead

Veteran
This just goes to show you how out of touch and closed minded these folks are. They think the pharmaceutical system is safe and the right way to go for anything medicinal and yet in many parts of the country the greatest drug crisis ever is pharmaceuticals.

If pharmaceuticals are so safe then how come I see dozens of ads on tv every day about class action lawsuits against this prescription drug or that? If the pharmaceutical system is so safe and superior how come it was allowed to become routine to prescribe anti depressents to children only to later realize it was a bad idea but only after kids started killing themselves because of it?

Pharmaceuticals are produced in a lab setting. There are minimum quality standards to meet. '

Nobody is regulating the Marijuana being sold... You could be selling moldy/low potency/laced weed.

Pharmaceutical companies are sued all the time because they have money, and you can go after them.

Drug dealers get their faces pounded and doors kicked in. Otherwise they pretty much get away with their crimes.

I understand the point you're trying to make... Our society had demonized recreational drugs, and allowed the pharmaceuticals to become the new recreational drug, b/c somehow that's ok. Our health care system is broken.

boroboro

As a very wise man once said 2000 years ago, "Go into your closet, and do it in secret, and your Father will reward you in secret."
I'm not much of a follower of that book, but I did read it. That was a very subtle and excellent reference. Well played.

I came out of the closet, signed up and went legal a while ago. Still nervous about possible negative repercussions in the future. Now my name is on The List, and there's a pretty nasty dude up for election today as our state Attorney General.

In Michigan, though, there isn't supposed to be any way for LEO (or city government?) to get a complete list of all patients / caregivers in their area. Hopefully, something would have to happen for you to be found.

xcrispi

Royal Oak Mi is tryin to pull the same shit as well right now - = no MMJ at all regardless of State laws , they've already thrown a monkey wrench in things there just like they did in Niles = if your growing for a full 5 patients plus yourself you need to do it in a commercial building due to the fumes ???? It's fooooking pot guys - what fumes ? Must have us folks confused w/ a Meth lab or some dumb shit .
Crispi

greenwithenvy

Veteran
Help David Leyton beat Bill Schuette today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you've likely been following, this year's outcome of the Attorney General race will have a tremendous impact on issues that are so important to you. On one side you have Bill Schuette, who penned this:

". . . And if state government cannot find a better way to balance the budget than legalizing drugs, then Michigan is in far worse shape than even we imagined. Legislators need to act now to stop marijuana legalization."

Schuette believes 63% of Michigan voters are conspiring to legalize pot. That's a pretty bold conjecture. The fact of the matter: Schuette wants to ignore the will of Michigan voters and push his own personal agenda if he becomes Attorney General.

On the other side there's David Leyton. Prosecutor Leyton has agreed to uphold the will of the people.

Ask yourself this:

- How much are your freedoms worth to you?
- How much is your business worth to you?
- How much is the care you need worth to you?

Try and imagine the next four years living under the thumb of a man like Bill Schuette. If what you see in your mind's eye scares you, then it's time to act now and do something about it.

Thank YOU!

-----------------------------

greenwithenvy

Veteran
Verg Bernero for Governor.

We sent a message asking Virg Bernero his take on medical marijuana.

Here is an exact copy of the message:

Virg strongly supports the will of the people. He was an advocate for the
medical marijuana ballot initiative and as governor, Virg will uphold the
will of the people. If the legislature tried to override the will of the
people by passing a bill to stop it, Virg would veto the legislation.
Virg is also the only ally of the MMMA running for governor.

We hope Virg can earn your support and your vote on August 3rd.

crazybear

I agree with this have been on opiates, including morphine, oxycontin, & prozac & other anti-depressants and if people think pot is bad for you try being on any of the afore mentioned shit, & you'll think diferently:smoweed:

A

arcticsun

What it really goes to show is that they will say anything.

These people talk on behalf of some interest group, not necessarily on behalf of themselves or their personal convictions. What im saying is naturally just hearsay, but with the size of the illegal trade its not unlikely to me that there are lobbyists in high positions working to keep the ban enforced. U got big pharma and the weapons trade just as an example of those who makes major money from the drug war plus many many more.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Help David Leyton beat Bill Schuette today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you've likely been following, this year's outcome of the Attorney General race will have a tremendous impact on issues that are so important to you. On one side you have Bill Schuette, who penned this:

". . . And if state government cannot find a better way to balance the budget than legalizing drugs, then Michigan is in far worse shape than even we imagined. Legislators need to act now to stop marijuana legalization."

Schuette believes 63% of Michigan voters are conspiring to legalize pot. That's a pretty bold conjecture. The fact of the matter: Schuette wants to ignore the will of Michigan voters and push his own personal agenda if he becomes Attorney General.

On the other side there's David Leyton. Prosecutor Leyton has agreed to uphold the will of the people.

Ask yourself this:

- How much are your freedoms worth to you?
- How much is your business worth to you?
- How much is the care you need worth to you?

Try and imagine the next four years living under the thumb of a man like Bill Schuette. If what you see in your mind's eye scares you, then it's time to act now and do something about it.

Thank YOU!

-----------------------------

I voted....

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pharmaceuticals are produced in a lab setting. There are minimum quality standards to meet. '

Nobody is regulating the Marijuana being sold... You could be selling moldy/low potency/laced weed.

Pharmaceutical companies are sued all the time because they have money, and you can go after them.

Drug dealers get their faces pounded and doors kicked in. Otherwise they pretty much get away with their crimes.

I understand the point you're trying to make... Our society had demonized recreational drugs, and allowed the pharmaceuticals to become the new recreational drug, b/c somehow that's ok. Our health care system is broken.

Most average people can tell if weed is moldy and nasty, or soap bar and can chose not to buy it. The average person can not look at a pill and tell if it is gonna give them liver failure in 10 years.

No body sell laced weed because it costs much more!

Also I dont trust big Pharma one little bit. there has even been antibiotics that kill people. Not to mention the same families that own the big pharma companies own the prison private system, and other chemical companies like du pont. Big Pharma benifits from the drug war. They are simply the American Cartels.

HempKat

Veteran

What you are saying is very true of on the street sales. I was thinking more though of the dispensories, which I figure that's what this city law is restricting, where hopefully there is some careful scrutiny of the product before bought by the dispensory for resale. I would also assume that people would rather sue a dispensory for selling bad product rather then try to beat up the person behind the counter selling the stuff.

The pharmacueticals have become the new drug because most people either know people that take pharmaceutical drugs or they take them for legitimate reasons as well themselves. So they're very available and it's alot easier to hide and sell and detect so it's easy for the abuser to get and use what they want without any real risk. It's not until you reach a point of doctor shopping and forging scripts that you face any real risk using pharmaceutical drugs, excluding risks the drug itself presents. My point about pharmaceuticals though is that the companies that make them are very powerful entities and they are allowed to operate in ways I consider to be irresponsible (not thoroughly testing drugs for potential dangerous effects before releasing to the public and or hiding evidence of dangerous effects they did discover) all for the sake of them adding to an already fat bottomline. So it really rubs me the wrong way to hear them cast as some safe, responsible way of administering medicine. I like marijuana sure, I wouldn't be here if I didn't but I'm not one to take the demonizing to the other extreme and say it's the magical answer to everyone's problems. My view is that a person should be allowed to put into their bodies whatever they please as long as they can do it in a way that presents no risk or harm to anyone else. So what if I get high when I'm at home, how is my sitting around with friends, sharing a joint or two while chatting, laughing and eating munchies causing anyone any harm at all? If anything those joints make me a better consumer because of the munchies and the way being stoned can make you more susceptible to a slick ad or sales pitch. They also help me make it thru the stresses of life without wanting to go postal. The way I see it as fucked up as the politicians have the world they should be bending over backwards to make people smoke pot so they'll become more docile and easier to keep relatively happy.

HempKat

Veteran
So, if this guy spent 5k on his equipment and time, and is forced to tear it all down, who foots the bill?

Well unless his equipment is confiscated there's no need for him to be compensated for it, he can sell it or move somewhere where he can use it without problems. As for time, nobody starting a business is guarenteed to be compensated for their time. All sorts of businesses start up and then get shut down or close down for all sorts of reasons, that's a risk you take and hopefully avoid thru careful planning and research. If it's for personal use, nobody is responsible for compensating you for what you choose to do with your spare time.

Latest posts

Latest posts