What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what kind of bug is this?

Kahl

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/scale-bug-how-to-control-plant-scale.htm

They are a kind of bug commonly referred to as Scale bugs....those are soft Scales u got and are considered some of the most damaging. they suck sugars out of your plant a excrete a nasty dew like shit that molds and is gross. i think this link shoes how to get rid of them

"Scale-damaged plants look withered and sickly. Leaves turn yellow and may drop from the plant. They may also have sticky sap or a black fungus on the leaves and stems. Heavily infested plants produce little new growth. If scale insects are not controlled, death of infested plants is possible. Scale insects are invasive and will infest other plants so move infested plants away from healthy ones."

Good luck and peace!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
great thanks for the link. but what if my plant is still growing good-ok.

I have been picking off as many as I could find. and I looked on EVERY square inch of her every leaf and every stem. top to bottom and back to front.
and I will half to keep doing it for the rest of her flowering cycle.

her buds looken fine so far.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
That's so weird! This is the only thread I can find on the whole infirmary that mentions scale, and we both got it at the same time. Thank you Kahl because Cheese told me what it was just earlier, lol. Here is what mine looked like:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/scale-bug-how-to-control-plant-scale.htm

They are a kind of bug commonly referred to as Scale bugs....those are soft Scales u got and are considered some of the most damaging. they suck sugars out of your plant a excrete a nasty dew like shit that molds and is gross. i think this link shoes how to get rid of them

"Scale-damaged plants look withered and sickly. Leaves turn yellow and may drop from the plant. They may also have sticky sap or a black fungus on the leaves and stems. Heavily infested plants produce little new growth. If scale insects are not controlled, death of infested plants is possible. Scale insects are invasive and will infest other plants so move infested plants away from healthy ones."

Good luck and peace!

yup, I agree fully there.... scale is a BI***!
Get rid of them punks quickly as you can!

Scrub ninja, I think my guide mentions it...... or does it? Will double check lol

cheese do you know what to use to rid the scale infection?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Stitch, I'm not certain, but I did a search for "scale" confined to this section of the forum and only this thread showed. Even a title-only search over the whole site gives zero results :dunno:

Edit: forgot to say, I just harvested so it should all be good. I only saw the one actual bug thing and I'm drying it outside.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I knew I had a thing about scale in my guide........

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

Scale (Outdoor Problem)
Scale can be found on stems, underside of branches, trunks, young trees or shrubs. They usally emerge from there eggs around March to Aug and make there homes on the plant. They pierce the cells and feed on the sap of the plant. After they have a place on your plant they devlop a very hard shell which protects them from other preadatory insects and chemical compounds to get rid of them. After they develop this hard back the secreation they drip attracts ants. Now since the ants travel over the scales thus dragging it all over your plant spreading the scale from one place to another on the plants. When the secreation falls on leaves it can make a type of mold called Sooty Mold which makes the leaves look dirty and black.

Sooty MOLD
The problem with this type of fungi is that it attracts several types of sucking insects,like Aphids, Mealy Bugs, Thrips, and Whiteflies..This mold is so dark that it affects the plant by inhibiting the light from reaching its leaves which stops photosynthesis, which in turn makes the plant die.

Control
The waxy layer that is on scales protects them from insects and other pesticides. In order to get rid of them Use a horticultural oil to kill the adult populations throughout the year. If you can combine the oil with the insecticide, such as, Orthene, Sevin, or malathion it can almost wipe out the scale population along with the sooty mold it causes!Neem soil works very well too!

You can do a few things.. more if your not nearing the end of harvest..

1) take a pack of chewing tobacco, mix it with a gallon of water, let it brew for a day.. spray the plants down as needed.. if your a cigarette smoker no worries spray em down till harvest.. watch for mold..

2) take some safers natural soap, mix it with some water so its a soapy slippery mixture, soak em down.. the idea is to suffocate the bugs in the soapy bubbles..

Kahl

cheese- buds look great man. That link mentions the use of sticky paper strips to stop them from advancing to the rest of your plant. my vote goes to safer soap + neem and those strips. The safer soap + neem combo is pretty wicked and in my experience has taken care of all my bug problems. i dont use it past mid flower though - and even then I'm only really spraying the bottom of leaves and avoiding budsites.

scrubninja. no problem man. wow that picture is gnarly. those ants really like the dew from those scales. I HATE SYMBIOSIS. lol

stitch- thanks for the great info. i have looked through your guides and im gonna need your personal help soon, as i cant find anything quite like my problems. NO CAMERA THOUGH AGGGHGHGH. makes it very hard.

thanks guys for positive K :D
PEACE AND LOVE

dsdlover

Will C02 work to kill this if i were to fill my 4x4x6 room with it for an hour or more?? I was going to empty a whole tank into it today, is it worth it? I sprayed neem oil last night when i found the scale but there ALL over a few plants! HELLLPO