What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Semi-serious situation, maybe overreacting

cannabi

A week ago I never thought I'd ever be needing the security & legal forum.

I don't grow, I have never grown, but I would like to keep a nice stealth percy stash for myself. However, I have been smoking for at least 10 years. I am a respectable member of society, college educated, professionally employed, and secret as hell about my tastes.

Enter my situation...

My sister, the black sheep of the family, has just been hit with 5-6 handfuls of felony charges, not cannabis related however she has caught a case or two for our lady jane in the past -- enough to have a car seized a couple years ago, anyway.

No one was hurt or killed in the process of her accumulating said felonies, but the case still remains that she will be going through a trial soon. After her trial she will face sentencing the likes of which she has never seen. She has been in and out of trouble since she was very young and I think the judge will throw the book at her providing the jury convicts.

She will need to whittle those charges away somehow, no? Is that not how it works? I don't understand the legal system on the inside very well because I have never been in trouble for anything before in my life.

The kind of person my sister is... I could totally see her telling lies saying that I'm involved with pot in one way or another on some sort of serious basis in order to get charges reduced or removed. Will the police try to entice her into ratting people out? Could they convince her to think of telling lies about people including her own family on empty promises of getting out of jail sooner? She does things without thinking of consequences and if the cops bust down my door on a warrant they probably wouldn't find anything at all, but occasionally I'll have under 7g for percy consumption.

Am I just freaking out? Would the cops laugh at her if she told them something about me? Or should I keep my house clean for an extended period of time until she's settled in @ the county pen? Her court date is sometime in February and I'm pretty sure that's the preliminary herring. She's being held on 6 digit bail.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

[Edit: Obviously sister knows I smoke (occasionally), I grew up with her.]

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Nope, not freaking out in the least. That's a pretty rational train of thought you have there. If she is the sort of person to tell those lies to attempt to get a reduced sentence (assuming you live in a country that allows that sort of bargaining, it's outright illegal in some places), then at the least you might become a person they're interested in.

My paranoia button says keeping your place clean for an extended period if you can't get legal is probably wise.

cannabi

She's never been in a situation where she will be looking at years that can be counted on two hands before. In fact she's never been past months counted on two hands and this is out of the frying pan and into the fire for her, for sure. She's a swindler, a bargainer. I've never seen her rat anyone out, but she's always been jealous of me for doing something with my life. I could see her train of thought straying into the realm of, "trading two years off my sentence for narcing on a bunch of people including my brother is worth it..."

Naturally people don't want to think like that of their own, but... she's in deep shit right now. I have no way to gauge what she may or may not do at this point at all.

We're unfortunately located in the bible belt of Estados Unidos de América.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like over-reacting to me.. Do the cops really kick down doors where you live over personal-use toking?

Could they really get a judge to sign off on a warrant to search your home because they suspect you have a misdemeanor amount of pot?

Unless you think your sister would lie and say you deal or grow, then I really think you have nothing to worry about.

Throw a little money in her canteen so she can get a snickers and some jolly ranchers and you'll be her fucking hero - it would prolly be the cool thing to do anyways, and you can have a little extra peace of mind.

whiterabbit9

Veteran
electrical_outlet_safe.jpg

does your state have harsh laws concerning small time possession ?

I don't know if your freaking out,
what kind of relationship you have with her ?

I guess if she fucks you over you can cut her out of your life forever.
Can you keep the stash somewhere else ?

Are you gonna be paranoid all the time ? (takes away smoking pleasure)

are you ready to deal with the problems this can cause you ?

I second the canteen money, and I think you shouldn't worry yourself over this...

your no dealer, this ain't hard drugs, your a productive member of society with no past convictions

how old is she ?

ButteredIt

i really don't know much about this, sorry, but i'll offer my opinion in the hopes it'll spark up a nice intelligent conversation.

Perhaps the cop drama shows are taking their toll, as i don't think anyone would get a lesser sentence for ratting out a pot smoker. if you don't currently grow then what could possibly happen? i don't the cops would even think about bothering you if you were accused of being a pot smoker. if you're really that concerned and your reputation is that important, well then just clear your pot out of the house and take a break for a couple months until this has completely blown over. you'll be alright.

honestly i think you're overreacting. but that's just me. i'd wait until someone who really knows what they're talking about chimes in.

cannabi

She's just turned twenty if memory serves me correctly.

The state I'm in, 1 growing seedling is a felony and under an oz of dried is still jail time even if it's only 7 days. She's the sort to lie for her benefit, and she would be smart enough to know the cops wouldn't kick the door in unless I was dealing or growing and once they're already in possession of a warrant based on lies, they'll search and could find my stash, at which point they'll have me. Not for what they think, but enough to ruin my life, you know?

It's not seriously freaking me out, I mean I'm not uber-paranoid or anything. I'm just a little concerned and considering the situation as thoroughly as possible by weighing the possibilities. Besides, the tip on helping out her money stash... I would have had no idea about that had I not asked about the situation so at least some good has already come of this :)

Thanks for continuing to entertain my apparent paranoia, hehe

[Edit: I just found out from a friend that 1st time offense is 11/29 of probation for under 1oz, any amount(ouch).]

ButteredIt

haha wow. in the time in took me to type that post 5 of you got one in. man this ChemDD is strong.

i like the outlet safe stash thing. you can keep a nice personal stash in there and its quite secure. the cops most likely wont be ripping apart your house just based on word alone.

cannabi

haha wow. in the time in took me to type that post 5 of you got one in. man this ChemDD is strong.

i like the outlet safe stash thing. you can keep a nice personal stash in there and its quite secure. the cops most likely wont be ripping apart your house just based on word alone.
I see, so I'm probably looking at a knock and talk at the worst, and the outlet stash will be perfect. I have a wall that looks it should have an outlet and doesn't anyway. It shall be installed within a week.

[Edit: I wish I had ChemDD or anything kind for that matter, I haven't seen kind buds since college. I also think it's more of a risk to buy meximash schwag since there's a lot more unknowns involved than with say, growing a stealth closet...]

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
telling on someone for smoking weed is not going to get her anytime reduced and is pointless time and money would not be spent to investigate an "alleged" pot smoker.... dealer maybe grower im sure smoker no way.....

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I think you might be freaking out a bit man. If there was a grow in the house, then you'd have every right to be. But there isn't a grow in the house, and it sounds like only a minor amount of bud, so you should be fine.

Crazy family sucks. I know the type.

cannabi

Yeah, I'm a non-grower, but I'm also a would-be grower if only I didn't have to worry about such things. Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm sure I'm just paranoid, this crap probably has too much CBD, heavily seedy too :/

electrical_outlet_safe.jpg

does your state have harsh laws concerning small time possession ?

I don't know if your freaking out,
what kind of relationship you have with her ?

I guess if she fucks you over you can cut her out of your life forever.
Can you keep the stash somewhere else ?

Are you gonna be paranoid all the time ? (takes away smoking pleasure)

are you ready to deal with the problems this can cause you ?

I second the canteen money, and I think you shouldn't worry yourself over this...

your no dealer, this ain't hard drugs, your a productive member of society with no past convictions

how old is she ?

These little "safes" don't fool cops. If she is shady enough for you to even have to worry about it then you MUST clean house. Better to put your stash some other place until she's bunking with big bertha than to find yourself wishing you had.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I don't think you're freaking out without cause. You know your sister and what she's capable of when caught. I have a brother like that, hasn't killed anyone (that I know of) but, he's a sociopath who'd screw anyone if it benefitted him in the least. I'd assume she's going to stick you anyway she can whether it helps her or not.

cannabi

I don't think you're freaking out without cause. You know your sister and what she's capable of when caught. I have a brother like that, hasn't killed anyone (that I know of) but, he's a sociopath who'd screw anyone if it benefitted him in the least. I'd assume she's going to stick you anyway she can whether it helps her or not.

My sister is indeed a sociopath, and while I don't think she's a narc... you just never know if you're talking about hard time. She could just start talking and naming names and places and etc. etc. without even realizing that she just blurted out that her brother may be associated with cannabis. While I do think it's unlikely after having thought about it with a clear head, I am still being cautious and looking out for anything out of the ordinary until her escapade is over and she's comfortably bunking with big bertha as 30 said.

I have determined that for my ultimate goal to be possible I will need to unfortunately separate myself from the pot culture completely, and who knows how long that would take. There is exactly three people who know about my activities, all of whom I get schwag and occasionally mids from.. two are childhood friends and the other has proven herself a great ally with a strong no tell policy not even when the 5-0 are involved. The more I read the security & legal forum and see sad story after sad story, the more the harsh reality of getting caught sets in. I mean, I know statistically it is not likely to happen, especially not to someone like me; however, at the same time no one ever thinks getting caught is a possibility.

Ultimately I want my own grow, and I think a QP per month of delicious kind buds would be more than adequate for my appetite. Maybe I'll build a super stealth NGB box and grow strawberries in it until I feel I'm safe. If I harvest 3 or 4 lots of strawberries, then surely if police were really interested in me they'd move once they thought I was doing something with an indoor grow situation...

I just feel that having a sister like mine is like keeping a loaded gun to my head. I wish that she didn't know I have any interest in pot at all and were that the case I think I would be cool not worrying about my close friends. Of course I would never tell them!

You're just freaking out.

First of all... the cops aren't gonna kick down your door just based off of what someone says. If she says you're some kind of major supplier or something... they aren't just gonna take her word for it and raid your house. They would need to actually bust you for something in order for her charges to get dropped, and for you to get arrested.

So... if having a personal sack laying around is all you're doing against the law... you have nothing to worry about. If she tells them you smoke weed, they won't care. And if she tells them you do more than just smoke it, they're gonna tell her to prove it.

JimBeamKush

I will let you know the truth man, you are WAY over reacting.

If she is facing serouis time and she trys to say that her brother smokes a little bit of pot, they will look at her like she is stupid. I also live in a very unfriendly MJ place, and cops here are not worried about anything like what you are talking about at all.

The only way you could get caught with that is if you did something really dumb like get pulled over and left it laying out and even then, I would put money on the cop just taking it from you.

90% of cops are not worried about small amounts of MJ, and no DA is worried about it for sure lol

Yeah, the whole concept of bargaining is that you get a reduced sentence by handing them a MUCH bigger fish. Not by handing them a laundry list of random people who *might* be involved in minor petty bullshit that's not worth anyone's time or worse than what she's in trouble for.

Their goal isn't to see how many random people they can bust, they want trophy busts: dealers, commercial growers etc. (not saying they WON'T bust someone for minor shit, but probably only if that person actually physically crosses their path i.e. a traffic stop or acting suspicious near a reported robbery or something, I can't imagine they get warrants and kick in doors over reports of a possible eighth bag)

Look at it this way, even if you DID somehow become "interesting" to them, what priority do you think you'd have on their "to do" list? I think even if they wanted to, they'd never get around to hassling you unless you have a few pounds of schwag on hand, in which case they'd assume you had intent to distribute, maybe even criminal connections they could exploit and you'd become a higher priority.

If you have less than an oz, I wouldn't be paranoid. If you have huge amounts laying around then yeah, hide the stuff until she's locked away, just to be safe. Sociopaths don't need a reason to try and ruin your life, they'll do it just because they can.

Latest posts

Latest posts