What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My computer is being invaded

B

BigTex

My computer has detected a tracking cookie about every 7 days since 2-3-09. About the same time I joined icmag. My spyware software has been able to combat the security risks so far (I think). It tells me...tracking cookie detected, security risk downldr, and packed. generic. 182 as the type of security risks. Not sure what these terms mean. My computer also says the ip # for the individual stealing info is 81.95.109.11(Czech Republic). My computer also says this individual was trying to send this info to ip#72.95.109.11( Bangor, Maine). WTF???Is anyone else experiencing security risk problems??? What does all this mean??? I'm very concerned......Can anyone help or at least ease my mind?

C

Classyathome

Tracking cookies are minimal risk - keeps track of your id and login for the site. Normal.

Not sure what the others are - but IMHO they aren't ICMAG related.

Sometimes the av/security progs give folks too much info, and worry them for no reason.

Netwerx is good with this stuff - maybe he'll chime in.

T

TrichyTrichy

Sounds like 'somemachine' was 'listening' at your port. Your security proggie got it :)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Are you sure the program that displays those threats is a trustable aplication? Some spyware programs disguise themselves as programs that alert you about security risks and then they get you to download other untrustable software. Try to find the program that alerts you and do a google search for it to see if it is trustable.
Good luck! :wave:

right on - its definately spyware. No sense in trying to remove spyware - most is never really eliminated.

If I were you buddy - I'd try to have that machine completely wiped - windows reloaded.

Or better yet - look into Ubuntu - its a linux OS thats very easy.

Find a friend who knows computers and ask him to do you a reload - and PAY HIM! nobody like to works on computers for free. Its a lengthy process that most of us dont want to do, but give em $75-100 and you'll have a clean computer with that brand new computer feel.

peace
pc

T

TrichyTrichy

Zonealarm is a great proggie for monitoring and removing.

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
If anyone needs a link for any security softs, PM me for it.

Peace,

Gro :joint:

gunslinger

try advansed systemcare its free and keeps ur pc clean and "fast" u can always crack it and go pro just like with the grows :p

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Tracking cookies are part of surfing the internet. You can simply set your browser to disable cookies alltogether at the cost of many websites not functioning correctly [ like this one uses cookies to keep you logged in. ]

The other part of surfing the internet is having an updated active virus scanner and a nice firewall. Imo a nice firewall is a quiet one that works as its supposed to in the background. Not something that bells and whistles everytime you visit a new website. Those can be great if you are doing questionable stuff and need it .. but usually those in that situation know what all the bells and whistles mean.

If you want to protect yourself further from known bad IP addresses like govts, watchdog groups like BayTSP, and other assorted baddies then download, update and run PeerGuardian2 when you surf. PG2 is quality updated freeware that blocks the IP addys by the millions and its lists are updated frequently.

On virus/malware? I never learned one thing from reformatting a hard drive. Its also the number one solution for cheese-techs. Sure it 'fixes' stuff but it doesnt do the #1 thing customers want and thats to have their desktop returned to exactly the way it was before it crashed/got malware.

Ive also never encountered one single virus, malware, or hidden rootkit that I wasnt able to sucessfully remove without reformatting the drive. All you need to know is what to look for, where to look for it, what to use to remove it, and what to do to restore system functionality. Practicing on different systems for 25 years seems to have helped too.:wink:

chris1985

Its part of the internet world, unfortunatly you are always going to get someone either hacking or trying to hack your computer either through spy ware/ addware/ or even viruses.

Personally i think that the people who created the viruses was the people who was trying to sell the antivirus software as you didnt really hear of all these viruses before all these antivirus software came out lol

Verite

Veteran
Its part of the internet world, unfortunatly you are always going to get someone either hacking or trying to hack your computer either through spy ware/ addware/ or even viruses.

Personally i think that the people who created the viruses was the people who was trying to sell the antivirus software as you didnt really hear of all these viruses before all these antivirus software came out lol

Viruses and malicious software predates most anti-virus companies start date by many years. The early malware was a whole lot nastier as 9 out of 10 of them would just reformat your hard drive right in front of your eyes. The nice ones would fill your drive full of bogus files. They advanced to date preset viruses that were programmed to do something on a certain day [ usually reformat your hard drive on April 1st.]

Back then Windows wasnt even around yet and you booted your pc with DOS. There was also more than one flavor/company doing DOS back then besides microsoft [ ibm, apple, atari, commadore, amiga, DR [or doctor ], TRS [ Tandy Radio Shack. ] They all had one thing in common [ still do today ] and that was to configure a file/operating system around a fixed to flexible group of hardware components.

Some companies controlled both the software and hardware [ like TRS-DOS ] and as a result were victims to less malware and since they were considered proprietary they eventually suffered in popularity over non-proprietary hardware options and resulted in less malware writers wanting to write for it ( same thing Mac systems enjoy today.)

Non proprietary DOS versions had to reveal some operating programming code to 3rd party hardware mfg's so they could write drivers [ usually loaded in config.sys when the dos system boots.] Revealing code on a popular DOS version seemed to be the re-birth a whole generation of 2600 phone hackers needed to retire on.

But because there wasnt any internet to speak of there wasnt any way for viruses to travel besides from 'sneakers-ware' [ the term used for copying a file/program to a floppy disk and preferably wearing sneakers on foot to travel the floppy to another computer.] or BBS's [ Bulletin Board Systems that you dialed into via phone modem to share files/programs and crude versions of chat.]

Because of this slow deliberate method of travel there really wasnt any need for anti-virus companies. Come internet time and the whole malware scene changed overnight.

Theres probably more history to it then that .. but thats how I remember it from my personal experience fixing pc's in the '80's til now.

verite you mentioned using PG2. I have used that for a long time now for dl torrents and have wondered why PG2 always blocks the ip range of Parc Productions when visiting this site. Im sure its not a big deal but do you think it's ok to allow the ip range of Parc P so i dont have to turn off block http?
thanks

Verite

Veteran
I wouldnt know since I dont actively block http at any time. Since Im pretty aware whats going on at my http ports when Im using them I only care about whats going on with the other 65,000+ other ports Im not really watching.

Parc Prod is on their list probably because the IP addy range its responsible for has had the Peerguardian staff detect suspicious or confirmed activity that falls into one of the groups they block be it spam, govt, watchdog groups, etc.