What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco to perlite ratio for starting seeds.

icegrower

Hi all.

I am going for coco in next grow. What do you all recommend for ratio between coco and perlite starting seedlings.? (I have four seeds pre soaking right now)

Also i was thinking to use egg-box in huminity doom to get as low stress as possible when i transfer to bigger pot. The eggbox is made from recycled paper so it will dissolve in time. I was just thinking if it could be bad for the plant when the paper dissolves in the coco. Any idea or experience for that.?

Have a good day everybody.

2011rex87

I use 50/50 mix. The ratio of perlite to coco is going to vary depending on your schedule and growing conditions. If you want to feed/water every single day- use a higher ratio of perlite to coco. For example, 75% perlite and 25% coco will dry out MUCH FASTER than 25% perlite to 75% coco. If you have a very hot and dry grow space, but you want to water every other day - use more coco. If you have a cool and wet grow space but you want to water every single day- use more perlite than coco. Just play with the ratios but remember you want to plan this around how often you want to feed. Drying down your media daily or every other day will allow you more opportunities to feed than if your media is staying wet for a week at a time.

You may be concerned about overwatering your seedling so you may start with a high perlite to coco ratio and you may consider a wicking system as well. Usually I will fill up a solo cup (plastic beer cup) with 50/50 perlite and coco but I make sure I have about an inch of JUST perlite at the bottom of the cup. This ensures the seedling roots will have access to air/oxygen at the bottom of the cup and this will also allow for some wicking up into the rest of the cup.

I would not worry about the paper dissolving into the coco. Should be fine... similar to jiffy pots that dissolve and allow roots to come through.