What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Good way to conserve nutes?

Bunch of bodhi gear newly transplanted in 2 gallon fabric pots. These new pots require much more water than solo cups. Any chance watering to runoff with ph'd water and then a small amount of nutes is possible and still maintain good plant health? Just trying to save some coin without cutting corners. Thanks for the help.

2011rex87

Two years ago I ran a couple grows back to back as an experiment... First run was fed every watering. Second run was fed every other watering. Same yield from both harvests. I learned a valuable lesson that "Less is More" when it comes to hydro nutes.

You may consider literally using half the amount of nutes by doing plain PHd water between feedings. You'd be surprised.....

Way out there and not practical for home growers... Scientifically and Technically speaking - you could always TRY TO capture your runoff and analyze it for mineral content, filter it and buffer it, add what is missing, and try to send it back through! But that's a whole other conversation!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
buy some cheapass Maxigrow and maxibloom- works great- keep your ec low though 1.2-1.3- less is more mate Goodluck!

buy some cheapass Maxigrow and maxibloom- works great- keep your ec low though 1.2-1.3- less is more mate Goodluck!

I am currently using the emerald harvest nutrient line, and have been for the past 3 runs, while impressed with the quality I just feel that I am going to play around and find the balance between the most efficient and most effective way to feed.

Two years ago I ran a couple grows back to back as an experiment... First run was fed every watering. Second run was fed every other watering. Same yield from both harvests. I learned a valuable lesson that "Less is More" when it comes to hydro nutes.

You may consider literally using half the amount of nutes by doing plain PHd water between feedings. You'd be surprised.....

Way out there and not practical for home growers... Scientifically and Technically speaking - you could always TRY TO capture your runoff and analyze it for mineral content, filter it and buffer it, add what is missing, and try to send it back through! But that's a whole other conversation!

Thanks rex, I will try a feed water feed schedule out and see how it works since the the is out of my current scope of practice and I gotta crawl before I walk.

Drop That Sound

I do something like this, usually only for my outdoor coco crops that use tons of water.

I feed normal, but the next time or so I feed with aquarium waste water. Water I would normally be dumping out every single week, that has a ph of around 5-6 and full of nitrates from the turtle crap.

Basically half hydro and half aquaponics. I also leave buckets sitting around with chopped up stinging nettles for a week or so, and use that water in between feedings too.

Also, anytime the plants accidently dry out, I immediatly use aquarium water to flush first, and then top off with a bit of nutes.

At the end of the season I say I save about 50% of my bottled nutes, and still have decent plants.

I have been reading the threads . I am about to try to build one up to see what all the hype is about. What is your preferred media of choice in the ppk system?

Truth be told my friend I’m in the UK so whilst I was reading the great D9s threads I was searching high and low for turface to no avail. I use coco in the pots themselves but found some seramis in the Uk which is very similar to turface and I use that in the wick.

Trust me brother, D9 is a genius. The system is simple yet amazingly effective. If you can get everything dialed in you will achieve tremendous results and you’ll have to take up another hobby cause of all the spare time you’ll have.

Oh just remember if you do use coco in the pots make sure you have a slightly bigger airgap as coco can stay a little tooo wet if your airgap gets much smaller than that. Start at 5” and see how you get on. Over time you will see whether it needs to be bigger/smaller