What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disability

Maple_Flail

Disability itself is rough topic. not trying to defend the women in WelderDans comment, and what i am about to write may appear like I am, however I'm not.

Coming from someone on disability with essentially an 'invisible' disability, the prejudice is real. I suffer from a non circadian sleep disorder ( https://www.circadiansleepdisorders.org/docs/N24-QandA.php )

So i'm, at first glance, quite able bodied, which is quite true if my schedule worked like everyone else's. I always work when I can, but do to my sleep wake cycle jobs with regular hours are out of the question. Accommodating jobs are becoming quite few are far between. And i won't even get into the BS politics of getting a job around here. Needless to say, and i really hate saying it. I don't have the right skin colour to get jobs around here.

brown_thumb

First, I know there are many US soldiers who deserve everything they receive in benefits, and much more. I'm not writing about them.

I know a guy on VA disability who makes nearly 3x more than I do on my SS disability, and that's just from his VA benefits. His checks plus all the other benefits add up to at least US$40,000 per year in a part of the country with relatively low cost-of-living. He was in the Army for a less than 2 years. He never saw any fighting but hit an IED while driving a truck and was hurt. So he's on 100 percent VA entitlements. BUT... he can and does work 10-12 hour days doing difficult physical work (unreported, on the side, cash). He has no physical disabilities. His emotional issues were present long before he ever enlisted in the military. That guy makes TONS of money both from his daily work and from his VA scam. In fact, he makes at minimum 2x his VA income doing (unreported work for cash). That's a total income in excess of US$120,000 per anum. Sadly, VA scams seem to outweigh the true/honest needs. I've seen much of both situations, having worked many years for Army MEDCOM and AMEDDC&S.

The scammers make me want to vomit because they're an insult to those who truly need and deserve the help.

I repeat, I know there are many US soldiers who deserve everything they receive in benefits, and much more. I'm not writing about them.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Accommodating jobs are becoming quite few are far between.True....and you have to have Dr's documentation to get SSDI. Fibromyalgia is a pesky bugger. It can be disabling and have periods of relative remission.
Some people with fibromyalgia will have a disability under the ADA and others will not. According to federal regulations, to qualify for disability you must prove that you have a severe impairment. You also need to prove that the impairment limits your physical or mental ability to do work.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
have a neighbor on disability from the Postal Service. can't work blahblahblah. but, he can ride his motorcycle & his ATV (both on the streets of our neighborhood & no helmet), goes fishing in his boat, does his own yard work etc.

XXX_710

Smokerman - Good for you. I have been told that they usually deny applicants on their first try, but it seems to have worked for you. I hope your quality of life improves!

MapleFail - I understand the invisible disease thing. I look fine, but deal with pain and crushing fatigue that are always present. I don't like when they look at you funny at the airport when you ask for a wheelchair and can still walk. Not like I can spend all my outings writhing in the fetal position just to prove it to others. Hang in there!

I also understand the strong feelings collecting disability invokes in those who see abuse. All I can say is, it would be best to keep it to yourself to avoid being criticized or lumped in with them.