What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New garden resident with FFOF. Identify?

OrgrO

I have a new soil in the garden, Fox Farm Ocean Forest. With that came a new critter to the garden also.
Friend or foe? Looks like some kind of mite but not sure. Any help in identifying these creatures would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS8HL2HK_RA&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHOZhWeqK0&feature=youtu.be

Any Ideas? Their numbers are low. Been hitting them with Azamax, BotaniGard WP and Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew.The girls are all healthy ... so far.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Hard to say for certain. I couldn't get a good view of how many legs are on that critter. 6 legs = insect = root aphid

8 legs = mite

Good video work, OrgrO. Stay tuned for further opinions.
:D

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those are soil mites...
Nothing to worry about imo.
They're shredders. By that I mean they eat stuff in the soil & make the particulates small enough to feed other soil organisms.

OrgrO

Thanks for the input buzzmobile and MJPassion.
Without tail pipes I was thinking mite and not aphid. With the activity limited to the soil I was thinking, hoping, a benign soil mite.
The BotaniGard and Capt Jack has really knocked them back. Think I'll back off unless their numbers start to get out of hand. Thanks again.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the input buzzmobile and MJPassion.
Without tail pipes I was thinking mite and not aphid. With the activity limited to the soil I was thinking, hoping, a benign soil mite.
The BotaniGard and Capt Jack has really knocked them back. Think I'll back off unless their numbers start to get out of hand. Thanks again.

If your soil is crawling & your plants are healthy,
What could be wrong?
No need to murder your helpers.