What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Metal detector enthusiasts?Lets see your treasure!

Floridian

Veteran
Basically I considerjust about anything I find other than beer cans and tabs to be treasure.Finding old tools is cool as hell.You don't need to spend a ton but if you do they have accessories that are bad to the bone.Like I said earlier 90% of the time I know pretty much what an item is before I bother to start digging.I think the real inexpensive ones go only on tone wheras mine uses tone,a visual pic and a number.Its really all in the coil if you don't mind digging things you're unsure of,you can get a cheap detector and use a quality deep scan coil

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Two different types of Metal Detectors..

Two different types of Metal Detectors..

There are two different types of Metal Detectors in use today. They make a difference when prospecting for gold.

VLF - Very low frequency- these are the cheaper ones which detect about "An inch for every $100". They work real well on large stuff and small gold.

Pulse - They send out a pulse and is really 2 coils in one. This is for deep detection of gold. You cannot use Pulse coils on a VLF.

I have two of each. About $800 for the VLF's and between $2k-$4k for Pulse machine.

They have paid for themselves. :woohoo: Unlike most mining equipment.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Damn.. I need to get my MXT outta the closet and put some batteries in it...
It's been 5 years sitting there now...

There's no gold in my state, but I use to dream about finding that Mason jar filled with silver dollars and quarters,
buried by an old cedar fence post, that people here use to bury back in the 1940's because they didn't trust banks..

Thank goodness the MXT will differentiate lead, otherwise you'll be digging a million old bullets in the woods and fields around here..

But ya gotta dig a lot of junk to find the good stuff..:biggrin:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
This thread got me all excited..
I got the MXT out of the closet and dusted it off.
Thank goodness I took the batteries out of it the last time I used it!

Along with a small cigar box of the "STUFF" I found on my last excursion...
Mostly junk, several dollars in crap coins.

In the upper left center of picture is a minie ball, to the right of it is a metal button with a crown and a fighting lion on it,
and the cross shaped item is a dog rabies tag made of aluminum and dated 1964..

The weird thing between the minie ball and the rabies tag looks like something from a charm bracelet, but it looks like brass knuckles for a GI Joe..

Attachments

• treasure!.jpg
    treasure!.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 7

St. Phatty

Those were the days before Dredging was outlawed in California.

I know a guy who raises baby trout about 50 yards from where he also digs for gold.

Somehow the politics of mining & the environment was allowed to have a head on collision ... so people think "dredging is going to hurt the fish".

In general the activities are completely compatible. Yes, vacuuming up a nest of eggs kills that batch, but it doesn't destroy the river.

I also know a guy that I think displays the symptoms of Mercury exposure.

He's told me about 2 incidents where he used Mercury. Including 1 incident boiling off mercury in his apartment building - which is real serious environmental shit because Mercury can be so neuro-toxic.

There's quite a range of extremes environment wise.

I think the river-dredging laws need to be adjusted to encourage MORE river dredging.

Mainly so Miners can Self-Police ... it works much better to have the Clean miners keeping an eye on the Miners who use more toxic methods.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
How to make money with a Metal Detector

How to make money with a Metal Detector

1) Buy Detector for $50

2) Find $50 worth of stuff

3) Sell Detector and $50 worth of stuff

4) Buy Detector for $100

5) Find more stuff

This is how old miners keep going. Don't waste your money on unproven stuff. Once you prove you are making money, upgrade but watch your pocket.

Most of my equipment has paid for itself. :dance013:

Floridian

Veteran
Nice stuff Bud,this is what I want to see.I know more members have pics to share.And yea blowing up those pics I'm pretty damn sure you've got a skosh of silver in there.Very unusual brass knucks looking piece you have there,who knows what the hell that really is!That rabies tag is what I'm talkin about being treasure to me,not worth anything in particular but when you pull it out of the ground,you can just imagine its history.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Link,did not link..

Link,did not link..

Good thought!A cheap metal detector with a quality deep scan coil.
Can we apply this thought into hand held security metal detector?

I have a couple of handhelds. They call them Pin Pointers. They are very useful finding gold. You stick them in the hole you dug to further isolate nuggets (most nuggets are very small).

I went to the website and they have some cool stuff for finding Gold :tiphat:

Floridian

Veteran
Yea the handhelds are a necessity in my book.ever try and find a tiny metal object after digging into the ground?You have to have awful good eyes and be lucky without the hand helds.Mine is about 12 inches long kida like a small want and gives a nice clear beep when the tip touches anything metal

Floridian

Veteran
Typical minelaber.Those are great for offshore treasure.They are great for several feet in the water.Folks are still finding Spanish gold but mostly on the East Coast,still sometimes on the West coast.Minelab is my next gig after my commitments are made.My Edwards hunts a few ft offshore but mainly for beach losses.You know,the wealthy European that drops her necklace or bracelet on the beach.On my short hunts I've found both gold and silver rings.Can't find the time right now

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Minelabs are the $hit.

Minelabs are the $hit.

I love them, got two :party: One for big gold, one for small nuggets

Latest posts

Latest posts