What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

By the Danube - Panama Haze, Queen Mother and Peyote Purple

yoss33

Veteran
An update after the first summer heat wave.

Panama Haze
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Peyote Purple #1
No new leaves have gotten ill. I'm inclined to conclude the problem was caused by spraying with cold water (in hot weather). It seems some strains and cannabis in general is almost as sensitive as tomatoes in this regard.
picture.php

Peyote Purple #2
I was considering cutting the part of the tree that's casting shade on the Peyote, but it's bent over the plant in such a way that it's impossible to cut without damaging what's beneath it. Of course, technically it's possible, but I too feel the challenge of climbing a tree with thorns carrying a chainsaw is not worth it... I don't need that big of a plant anyways, and the sideways-shining autumn sun will be able to cast all its miracle on the buds.
picture.php

Queen Mother
picture.php

picture.php

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Yoss33, I agree with you on spraying cold water. I tried it once under HID lights. That was a mistake. So I thought it wouldn't be any big deal in a greenhouse or outdoors. I was wrong again. The Peyote Purple plants of mine seemed to stress easier than others. Now I try to mist leaves in the morning and not the heat of the day. I will stop misting when flowering starts. Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looks like they are starting the summer in good shape yoss :)
Your plants look healthy and happy as usual with you every season.

Panama Haze's growth is already stunning, she is going to be a monster in early September when she will really start to flower, hope you have a great summer time and a benign autumn as well.

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, people! :)

Unfortunately, a few days ago a strong hail did a lot of damage in my garden. Tomatoes suffered the most. The canna plants did relatively well, and only the Peyote Purple #2 received serious damage with about 80% of the leaves and small branches broken off. The Panama Haze also has more than 50% of its branches "topped", but most of its leaves are still on the plant, and so I expect it to just act as a topped sativa. The lanky Queen Mother is among the few plants in the area that seem almost unaffected, only slightly bent by the strong winds.

Peyote Purple #2
Sorry for the bad photo, but I think you can still see that the plant looks as if eaten by goats, not many branches and leaves left and most of these leaves have their stems broken and will dry off. I removed them after the photo was taken and now the plant looks even more naked. Basically, it resembles 2 long sticks.
At least, now it's bent in such a way, that it will not be in the now-sparser shadow of the tree.
picture.php

Panama Haze
picture.php

picture.php

All branches on this photo are "topped":
picture.php

The ground was covered in plant material, and when I removed the cover, I saw marks of the first hail stones that have fallen and left their fingerprints on the wet ground:
picture.php

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Looks like you got lucky to have them in the shape they are. Not only was the hail large, there was a lot of it. That Panama Haze looks like it will be just fine. Very nice plant

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I feel for you brother. I hope the rest of your grow is very positive and productive. Peace

The Hatter

Veteran
You have my condolences. It's painful on many levels when your babies get wrecked by unexpected bad luck. I'm glad a couple of your strains appear to be incredibly hardy, but that Peyote Purple definitely got the worst of it. I can't believe the Queen Mother made it through that barely scratched. That is the sort of hail that will total a car. With a little luck there is enough time left in the growing season that they all recover well. It would have been much worse in mid to late flower.

orfeas

Veteran
frustration...aggravation...I guess the Weatherman is not to beat...fracking elements...

:tiphat:Orfeas

ULMW

Prayers for a speedy recovery and smooth continuance of your grow. Happy growing!

Koondense

Veteran
I believe it's still early enough for them to fully recover, except the Peyote. This kind of plants need some beating to become even better and sturdier in the outdoors.
So no condolences, only a hope for no more this kind of weather in the rest of the season ;)
Cheers

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you for the compassion, people! :tiphat: Actually, the canna plants (apart from Peyote Purple #2) did quite well (had good luck). I'm not aiming for big harvest anyways, so no worries.
My tomatoes weren't so lucky though, I had to remove almost all fruits because they all were severely damaged (like half of the fruit missing...). My neighbors said that some of the hail stones were as big as a walnut and they were lucky to have one of their cars in the garage, and the other one - under a big walnut tree, other people in the village were not so lucky. I thought they exaggerated a bit the size, but coming back to the garden and looking closer I realized they didn't lie:
picture.php

Let's hope this is not just the beginning of a stormy summer!

Panama Haze
I don't know why but I found the biggest branch of the plant broken at the junction with the main stem on my last visit, it was OK on my visit after the storm... An animal or a strong burst of wind.. dunno.. It also seems that the very top of the plant has also been a victim of the hail and now a big fan leaf is the highest point of the plant.
picture.php

picture.php

No matter the damage, the plant is as happy and vigorous as ever:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Peyote Purple #1
This plant and the Queen Mother were lucky to be at least partially shielded by close trees from the west side.
picture.php

Peyote Purple #2
Tough inflexible indica branches are not meant to withstand hail, nor strong storms for that matter:
picture.php

The grape wine at the back of this photo is so close to the victim, yet seems to have been shielded:
picture.php

Queen Mother
picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Yoss,

I'm sorry to hear about the damage on your plants after the storm with hail. Weather is getting crazy and unpredictable with the global warming. We also had past week very heavy storms in the center of the country which are rare for July, and at the same time we are still in a heat wave that is lasting 3 weeks, temps in the south of the country are reaching 45ºC and around 35ºC in my area, and seems is going to last a few days more.

Anyway, i'm glad to see your sativas will be able to recover their health and fast growth again.
Sativas with thinner leaves and more flexible stems usually deal better with heavy storms and hail, while indicas on the other hand suffer it a lot.

yoss33

Veteran
We've been having another wave of storms the last 3 days. I hope no hail has hit this time, though today I saw a report of egg-sized hail stones in a village some 50 km away, and we had hail in the town but of small size.
I was in the garden when the storms started 2 days ago, and it was such a heavy rain and winds that Peyote Purple #1 and the Queen Mother fell, with their roots not being able to hold position in the soaking-wet soil. I restored their erect position tying them with strings to sticks and surrounding trees on the next morning.
The Panama Haze had only a single big branch broken, but all the other big branches are twisted sideways and instead of pointing upwards they are now almost horizontal. I don't know if they'll be able to restore their original orientation by themselves and hope that at least they didn't get broken in the following storms yesterday and today.
The Queen Mother also had some worrying stem mold on the wounds that the hail has left 2 weeks ago, and this stem mold had definitely liked 3 days of heavy rains. We'll see.

Some photos I took the morning before the storms follow.

Panama Haze
picture.php

And how it looks from my garden, innocently poking above the tomato plants..
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
picture.php

Peyote Purple #1
picture.php

picture.php

No photos of Peyote Purple #2, as the photos I took are of low quality and the plant hasn't progressed much in the last 2 weeks.

Queen Mother
picture.php

It actually has had its top clipped by the hail 2 weeks ago and now it has 3 tops:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The Panama Haze doesn't seem to have strong structure. It is very vigorous and wants to grow huge, but huge it is not properly designed to be. I removed 2 more big branches that broke. I think it's because the hybrid inherits the thin and flexible Haze branches but its leaves are much heavier, especially when wet. Both Haze and Panama are way more resistant to winds than the hybrid. Sometimes the genes just don't mix well...

picture.php

The biggest (non-broken) branch is still twisted sideways and its top is horizontal:
picture.php

picture.php

Anyways, the rest of the plant happily and vigorously goes on..
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Peyote Purple #1
picture.php

The Peyotes grew quite lanky in the beginning, but now they are producing many branches:
picture.php

Peyote Purple #2
The plant now resembles 3 small bushes on a stick...
picture.php

Queen Mother
picture.php

picture.php