What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where you all get your vegetable seeds from?

MicroRoy

Get started with good stock then save seeds for future plantings.

Look into some seed trading groups.You would be supprised by what people would share for the price of postage.

Stick with heirloom varieties They come back true to Seed.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
In searching some heirlooms on SeedSavers, I found one of their suppliers that is super old school and sells directly (bypassing $eed$aver$): J.L. Hudson Seedsman. Prices are incredible and variety is more "unique" than "common".

We are a public access seed bank - not a commercial seed company. You will find that our presentation of information and how you access our seedbank is a bit different from ordering seeds from the usual on-line commercial enterprise.

Our purpose is the preservation of botanical biodiversity, the propagation and dissemination of rare, threatened and endangered plants, research into the biology of seeds, and the preservation of vanishing knowledge of the uses of plants - called "ethnobotany" or "ethnobotanical knowledge". To this end, we propagate and distribute rare seeds from every continent; native plants from around the world, including flowers, vines, trees, cacti, culinary herbs, heirloom vegetables, ornamentals, hardy perennials, medicinal plants, and tropicals. We also distribute Gibberellic Acid-3, complete GA-3 kits, and a full line of supplies for priming your seed with this powerful natural germination enhancer. We also distribute many unusual books about edible plants, medicinal plants, American Indian, Australian, and African ethnobotany, books on seed saving, source lists, and more.

Bulk Veggie seeds: http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/BulkVeg.htm

KONY

Veteran
Last few years more of Fedco and Johnnys, however will still order from Baker creek too, however their germination rates are lower than pretty much every other seed maker.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Hudson’s is good.
Anyone have access to azzkicking horseradish root i could play with! I adore this root!
Can’t help you on a lead for what’s a good one, I got some roots from a friend. A tip though when planting. It can spread like a SOB, if you want to control it, plant in a buried receptacle of some sorts.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Last few years more of Fedco and Johnnys, however will still order from Baker creek too, however their germination rates are lower than pretty much every other seed maker.

To update, Baker Seeds germination for 2017 has been 90%+ on all the varieties I have sprouted. A few thousand seed at least I have started currently. I have been very impressed withe the vigor of the plants as well.

The cukes, several variety, were so vigorous that I had an oh crap moment that I started them too early. The weather looks great so I'll be OK. That's another good feature of the 50 ct round cell flats. The cells are big enough, takes a bit to rootbound.

Will be starting the melons and the squash next.

angelgoob

I gotta disagree... today's corn that we buy at the market, prob comes from florida or mexico, gets picked, then shipped... all this taking days, u can leave it in the fridge for days, cook it and its still sweeter then corn I grew in my own garden.... gotta luv them GMO'S

and I'm saving $$$ in another way tooo.. when I go to the bathroom, no need to turn on the lite... I seem to emit a glow... just enough lite to find the toilet when I pee...

:laughing:

But in all seriousness there are like 2 types of kernels. One is sweeter and the other? Not so good. :biggrin:

I'm just getting mine at a hardware store, but need to go online for lemon balm.

thelemons

sow true are a solid bet. open pollinated and organic.

got given some starts from baker creek... black krim, white beefsteak, and costoluto tomatoes... i believe they are seeds saved from the initial stock, im excited about em!

Latest posts

Latest posts