What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydro Lettuce

rural

Has anyone done any lettuce indoors? Looking for some tips.

I'll be doing Simpson Elite lettuce this summer and I'm thinking of doing it DWC.

blastfrompast

Veteran
easy as pie...i did dwc...but i did 4x2x1 bubbler and put 8 pots in the one container....worked well grew FAST....and i only had them under a 4ft floro.....

lettus all winter for my wife that year....replanted half mid winter..... we used a leaf lettus and a buttercrunch....also tried romain where we just kept picking the outter leaves for salads, etc..

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran

I'll be doing Simpson Elite lettuce this summer and I'm thinking of doing it DWC.

I have yet to do hydroponic lettuce. But with that said I've been planning on starting some at some point this year. I've looked at many video's on youtube of people growing lettuce in hydroponic set ups. You can basically start them in stater cubes and grow them in that starter cube from start to finish, provided you have something to hold the cube(s) in place.

C

chris harris

I think so. Seen lots grown either NFT, or DWC, floating Styrofoam boards with small holes for the plugs to go in.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In Pueblo, CO, they grow hydroponic from fish tanks (farm raised fish), selling at growers market. So imagine it's done all over. A bit over the top for a household consumer....it works!! <~~~Hydro.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Lettuce does great on a flood table. I don't see DWC working very well unless you are trying to grow one head.

You can use rockwool or coco and veg nutes on a drain table and grow lots of lettuce. Fluorescent lights work great. One thing to remember is lettuce likes cooler temps. Too hot and it will bolt.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NFT style tubes are best for lettuces. Poly fence posts work very well for making your own system. Put a slight slope on the tube for water movement through the system. All very easy to make.

Small cell float trays for starting. Transplant to the tubes.

http://www.cornellcea.com/resourcesPublications/growersHandbooks/lettuce.html

Personally, I wouldn't grow lettuce without some form of plasticulture or a hydro system. Lots of risk with disease transfer when growing leafy crops.

Higher N levels will promote and hasten bolting as will longer hours of day light. Most crops that bolt do so based on accumulative hours of sunlight since germination. Reducing hours of sunlight may slow growth rates, but will give you a longer season.

dank.Frank

Last edited:
I've been using pvc guttering with NFT mat in the base, currently full of pea sprouts, which are delicious and quick growing

I try for a day of sweetened water before cutting which seems to make the veg taste better

I can't find the article where I read it in, but will look further. It was suggested raising EC to 1.2-1.6(don't recall the exact #) in certain stressed conditions to prevent bolting. I may be remembering it completely wrong or mixing up my vegetables

Dream-Fish

I'm trying for some basil plants, if I can't get enough off them indoors at least I've got a start for the outdoor season

I've done both indoor and out. Look up the "Kratky method" imo no easier way to grow lettuce. I've made the method work on meds to.

As far as quality my family and friends prefer my outdoor soil grown best for flavor and crispness...

Stonehedge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Latest posts