What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leg Pain

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Sorry to hear that Smokerman. Keeping your spirits up for the fight is the hardest part, will you be doing chemo?:flowers2:

Cuddles

this does sound worrying :( Did they do a biopsy yet, maybe it´s not cancer after all? Hope you have enough oil for treatment

Smokerman

Veteran
I went against my own belief at the start of this cancer issue. I’ve always felt that as soon as you start fucking around with cancer is when it starts spreading. I should have just let it be, but now the genies out of the bottle. I’m supposed to have some tests in the coming weeks to see exactly what’s happening. I’ll make a decision in the coming days whether I want to go ahead with this or not.

moose eater

Thankfully I live in Canada, doesn’t cost me anything out of pocket. (Taxes)

Good to be in a place that doesn't support profiteering out of pain and suffering. One day maybe we'll see that here, too. I still go to the Yukon Territory for dental care, and long ago I went there for medical care, as well.

Very sorry to read of the tumors at the pancreas and spine. You're likely on top of this, as no one has the stake in this moment that you do, but if it were my bacon in the fire, I'd be looking into the tumors at the spine ASAP. Seriously. That can create serious complications.

Best of outcomes to you. Someone draws a lucky straw every moment of every day; let's hope it's your turn.

Smokerman

Veteran
Good to be in a place that doesn't support profiteering out of pain and suffering. One day maybe we'll see that here, too. I still go to the Yukon Territory for dental care, and long ago I went there for medical care, as well.

Very sorry to read of the tumors at the pancreas and spine. You're likely on top of this, as no one has the stake in this moment that you do, but if it were my bacon in the fire, I'd be looking into the tumors at the spine ASAP. Seriously. That can create serious complications.

Best of outcomes to you. Someone draws a lucky straw every moment of every day; let's hope it's your turn.
Thank you for the kind words. The Dr that ordered the MRI just called me and said he was going to order a bone scan and another MRI in 3 months for the pancreas. I guess I’ll wait and see what results these tests show. We’re all dealt the hand we get, we can either fold or keep playing til the end..

Last edited:

moose eater

Thank you for the kind words. The Dr that ordered the MRI just called me and said he was going to order a bone scan and another MRI in 3 months for the pancreas. I guess I’ll wait and see what results these tests show. We’re all dealt the hand we get, we can either fold or keep playing til the end..

I can only half-way speak to tumors and the spine in any educated manor, as they relate to my prostate cancer, so in your case, I'm way out of my comfort zone for any further comment, but I'd strongly recommend you ask your Doc about the tumors near the spine, too.

In my case, if the cancer spreads to the spine, it's my understanding that the courses of action become fewer, and can be far more serious in prospects/prognoses.

I've found the cancer ride to be anything but predictable; emotions about what's next, the unknowns, degradation, fears, and more, change with each waking moment, and there's a LOT of waking moments, let me tell ya'. ;^>)

Give 'er hell. While death may offer some semblance of peace to us, the outcomes for metastases, and bone lesions are often gruesome where pain and nausea are concerned, and hold nothing to desire for those of us who aren't masochists at heart.

Take good care of yourself. Look into bitter melon, moringa, the THC or THC-A extracts you're undertaking (I think?), and broccoli sprouts. No surrender. Unless it's clearly time to surrender. But it's your path.

I wish you well.

Bruce Cockburn

'Pacing the Cage'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN2uMVYwmqc

Cuddles

If your pancreas is affected, then so will it´s function eventually. you can take pankreatin to help out the digestion process :)

Smokerman

Veteran
I’m at the hospital getting a bone scan and the technician says it’s to see if the cancer has spread. Hope for the best but I’ve made peace with myself if its bad news.

Smokerman

Veteran
So the bone scan results came back and I was told that I have arthritis in my hands and knees as well as Paget’s disease in my right hip. As far as the spine, the report said unable to confirm osseous metastases further investigation recommended. I’m waiting to see what the dr wants to do. I had a pulmonary function test last week and the outcome of that was emphysema and asthma, so he put me on Advair and Salbutamol.

moose eater

So the bone scan results came back and I was told that I have arthritis in my hands and knees as well as Paget’s disease in my right hip. As far as the spine, the report said unable to confirm osseous metastases further investigation recommended. I’m waiting to see what the dr wants to do. I had a pulmonary function test last week and the outcome of that was emphysema and asthma, so he put me on Advair and Salbutamol.

Re inconclusive scans, I don't know how large the facilities and resources are near you, but there's a couple PTscans (F17 is one of the 2) that can show cancer in ways that MRI's, CTscans, and bone scans can't.

Up here, we have to fly to Seattle to get either of the 2 PTscans referenced, but if your Doc can order one of the 2 tests, and you can get to a place that offers them, assuming you don't have one nearby already, then it alleviates some of the stress of not knowing.... for some, anyway. On the other hand, if the results amount to bad news, then it's potentially a whole new stress.

Glad that some of the results were indicative of more common aging maladies, though I know arthritis can hurt like hell.

Best of luck to you.

I'm launching into a meeting in mid-August with a medical oncologist in Seattle, to (hopefully) pave the way to what ever more-positive outcomes we can flesh out. In the interim I'm drinking about 6-8 8-oz. cups of cold chaga tea each day, and doing the bitter melon smoothies, among other things. Still need to extract some THC-A, but trying to wait until the current crop can finish.

The 9th of August, if all works out, my younger son and I are headed over to the Yukon Territory to fish Aishihik Lake for lake trout. Looking forward to it. If not there, for what ever reason, then perhaps Lake Louise, down near the Copper River Basin.

Hang in there.

Last edited:

Smokerman

Veteran
Yeah I’m pretty sure he’s going to order a PET scan. I had one back in 2017 for my lung which resulted in the upper right lobe being removed. Clinic that they use is about a 20 min drive. Government lays out the rules before they agree to cover cost, you have to have had prior tests and some other things that I can’t remember.

moose eater

There's a couple different PET scans for pin-pointing micro-presence of cancers. The F17 is the less pertinent of the 2, though both are good. Can't recall for sure, but I think the F17 is also the more expensive of the 2. From the land of 'more is less'.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope all is revealed as less than alarming.

Had changed our plans, and we were instead planning on heading to Lake Louise up this way (near Glennallen), so we could do the trip earlier than the Alaska-Canada Border opens for non-essential travel, for a lake trout fishing mission. But long-time friends in the Yukon Territory have written that they might want to bring a boat or 2 and connect with us at Aishihik, so now we're bac k to contemplating a shorter trip and a longer drive, with some anxiety on my part, re. missing the flight to the oncologist's in Seattle. But connections with folks a person cares about are important when life looks dicey.

In either case, my younger son knocked out a brake job on all 4 corners of my truck and greased everything with a zerk fitting underneath,, so we're doing oil changes and bleeding brakes today on the remainder of the vehicles, in preparation, Then I need to get on gear gathering, drilling new oars for the boat, and making sure my 12 gauge shotgun is in proper configuration for Canada's requirements, so I can get a permit at the Border on our way in.

Best of luck in your contending with life's struggles.. Waiting and not knowing tend to take a greater amount of energy, and often provide more stress, than so many other things. At least, they do for me.

Smokerman

Veteran
I had an ultrasound about a month ago as a follow up to the bypass in June. Surgeon said it looked good. Told her I still had pain so we just did a CT and it shows a blockage from the right side over to a bone on the left side, she’s not sure what to do next. She also mentioned that the mass on my kidney that I thought was fixed is now much larger.

moose eater

I had an ultrasound about a month ago as a follow up to the bypass in June. Surgeon said it looked good. Told her I still had pain so we just did a CT and it shows a blockage from the right side over to a bone on the left side, she’s not sure what to do next. She also mentioned that the mass on my kidney that I thought was fixed is now much larger.

You got up today and typed that, so there's still hope that tomorrow might offer new insights and plans. Best of luck to you.... still. The combination of acceptance of where you're at, and willingness to move forward, can be tough. Keep on moving.

Deep Purple - You Keep On Moving - YouTube

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ~ Willin' ~ Red Rocks CO 10/3/14 - YouTube

Cuddles

that really sucks and I´m sorry you have to go through all this crap :(
Sounds like you need more surgery, which also sucks.
Have you looked into serrapeptase? It´s not gonna solve the actual problem or replace surgery but it may help a little bit as the stuff dissolves dead matter (to be blunt about it).

Latest posts

Latest posts