What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know you live in the country when you hear a gunshot at 3am and say "niice."

My old neighbor used to use a 17hmr etc and a thermal scope to snipe racoons, coyotes, and minks..... Dude had an extremely complete show car too.... He must grow weed or something.

Not me. I'd be up and wondering what was happening with a gunshot at 3 AM.

Your neighbor sounds like an asshole.

St. Phatty

It is the rim ammo.
The closest in a semi auto that I know of is a 380.

what is it about the mechanism that means - ?

rim - revolver

rim-less - semi-auto handgun, not revolver

But if rims go with revolvers, then you could have a 30-30 revolver ?

That would be interesting.

30-30 is one centerfire rifle round that has a rim.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
what is it about the mechanism that means - ?

rim - revolver

rim-less - semi-auto handgun, not revolver

But if rims go with revolvers, then you could have a 30-30 revolver ?

That would be interesting.

30-30 is one centerfire rifle round that has a rim.

The only 30-30s Im familiar with are lever action, like the Winchester model 94. Still not a semi, but it does use an extractor.

That gun is a handful with a shoulder stock.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran

You realize you better be a big, tough MFer if you're gonna shoot 30-30 from a revolver!:D

The only 30-30s Im familiar with are lever action, like the Winchester model 94. Still not a semi, but it does use an extractor.

That gun is a handful with a shoulder stock.

What about 357 AMP? That's like 45 win mag necked down to .357!
Sounds close enough to a 30-30 for me!

I just wanna say, why you need more than 357 or 44 in a revolver? Rhinos?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
With wildcats any thing is possible but not necessarily survivable.

That's way past gunsmithing, you'd have to be a very good machinist.

That said, if you did a cad drawing, someone would print it and probably try it.

Not me. I'd be up and wondering what was happening with a gunshot at 3 AM.

Your neighbor sounds like an asshole.

It was a factory town. White trash with no exhaust, speeding by at 12,1,2,3,4,5 AM. In the middle of three car plants, plus other factories. Everybody has a motorcycle too.
I tell ya, a snow plow going 55mph will wake you the fuck up!! Lmao, sometimes I would think my roommates shitty house was finally collapsing.

One gunshot ain't nothing. You just get used to the noise.

The neighbors was a mature, and rich man. I trusted him to shoot my direction. We had a summer when all the racoons had rabies..... With dogs and cats, I slept better knowing my neighbor was hunting them "predator style" with his $5,000 racoon gun lmao.

Plus we had minks. Minks steal kittens, birds etc and suck them dry in the dark; then leave them to bleed out. Not to mention coyotes.

And.... I had a steel target range in the back yard.... Actually, maybe I was the dick. Because around here, my neighbors might work third shift and my practice at noon is the same as 3am.

Really, everyone works shifts around here. And there's trains everywhere too. Also, think there's only five houses until the horizon in any direction. We all knew each other, and made sure it was cool.

The people who don't shoot, have a bike, or loud exhaust are the ones who drive a Buick Century, and leave their grass clippings on the road. Who's the real asshole?

Hard to tell what offends your neighbors. My current neighbor (suburbs) kids squeal and chase each other all day. Sometimes it sounds like an injury or a dog attack, and hits me with a bolt of adrenaline.
In the country, I get no "fight/flight" reflex from gunshots... It's just pest control or recreation to me.... But like I said, squealing 7 year olds.... I'm worried about other people's kids.

Just like you can vacuum and cook downstairs in the morning and I won't wake up, but walk up the stairs and I'm WIDE AWAKE for that sound.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

You realize you better be a big, tough MFer if you're gonna shoot 30-30 from a revolver!:D

similar to the bigger handgun calibers like 46 and 50 S&W magnums.

For that much power you really do need 2 hands.

actually the 46 & 50 magnums are similar to the 450 bushmaster, 50 Beowulf, and 458 Socom rifle calibers.

I have the 450 Bushmaster and want to get a 350 Legend with a 20" or 24" barrel.

Like the 30-30, 350 Legend has about 2 cc of powder space. I am scared to use more than that in the 450 Bushmaster.

similar to the bigger handgun calibers like 46 and 50 S&W magnums.

For that much power you really do need 2 hands.

actually the 46 & 50 magnums are similar to the 450 bushmaster, 50 Beowulf, and 458 Socom rifle calibers.

I have the 450 Bushmaster and want to get a 350 Legend with a 20" or 24" barrel.

Like the 30-30, 350 Legend has about 2 cc of powder space. I am scared to use more than that in the 450 Bushmaster.

When I heard about 350 legend, I texted a friend at 1am to tell him about it.

Apparently there's .357 AR as well. But sounds like if any will win long term, it will be 350 legend.
I think it was finished 223/5.56 brass cut down for the 357ar, and a true .357. IIRC 350 legend .358+ and doesn't use; used 223 brass.

So honestly It kinda poured ice water on my boner.

And my favorite 357 projectiles went out of production, and the company closed up.
RIP Rainier ballistics ); :shucks:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I shot a 44. mag Ruger Blackhawk for a while. It was such a cannon that half my attention was towards trying not to flinch while pulling the trigger. I got into 45s, full sized 1911s. I like it so much better. When we show up at an outdoor range, the paper is already hung for me bc my holes are the biggest. It's got a great sound too - much more of a boom then a bang.

Nothing is a strong term these days, with handgun ammo unavailable.

Well, it cycles the semi really well. In a lever we see 158's at 2,000fps.

Blows reliable fire rings out of the pistol. But the big thing is though it takes alot of powder ($$$) it's gentle on the brass. Doesn't swell it too bad.

Levers and semis have chambers with ramps and stuff. They are rougher on brass than revolvers if the pressure spikes.

So there's a margin of safety with using 110.

"Weak/fast" powder has ruined some of my brass. I quit experimenting with saving powder.

I run a semi, so light loads are a pain to cycle.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My old go-to SS Marlin has made the Ruger .44 carbine hide in the safe. It's getting too valuable to be a handy tool, which the SS lever gun is. That workhorse has wood from a 1972 without the goofy engraving, been refinished a couple times. Strap. I love that thing.

I sorta wish I had a similar set-up with .357 (pistols and rifle). What has stopped me is getting into another caliber, which was not really required. Already have 9mm, but maybe 5 shot pocket gun would be handy.

Last edited:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran

if you have a question about a particular firearm, you can probably get a much better answer from one of your neighbors than you can from any google search...
--------------------------------------------------------

This is a large frame S&W .357 I used to own... Bought it in 1987 for $225 at a gun show in Dallas...

It has the nicest factory nickel job I have ever seen...
But it was a bear to shoot...
Even with the full lug under the 4 inch or so barrel, it kicked like a mule..
A big ball of fire out the muzzle end... (cool to see shooting at night)
You had to wear ear muffs and 3 cylinders fired thru it would leave your hands hurting...

But it was sooo beautiful..
Found a guy who collected nickel revolvers a few years ago...
Sent him this picture before we met up.
He asked what was the green splotches on the frame above the trigger..
I emailed him back and told him I took the picture on my porch and it was the reflection of the leaves on the trees, more than 50 feet behind me!

We met up, he offered me $800 and I let it go...

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was a factory town. White trash with no exhaust, speeding by at 12,1,2,3,4,5 AM. In the middle of three car plants, plus other factories. Everybody has a motorcycle too.
I tell ya, a snow plow going 55mph will wake you the fuck up!! Lmao, sometimes I would think my roommates shitty house was finally collapsing.

One gunshot ain't nothing. You just get used to the noise.

The neighbors was a mature, and rich man. I trusted him to shoot my direction. We had a summer when all the racoons had rabies..... With dogs and cats, I slept better knowing my neighbor was hunting them "predator style" with his $5,000 racoon gun lmao.

Plus we had minks. Minks steal kittens, birds etc and suck them dry in the dark; then leave them to bleed out. Not to mention coyotes.

And.... I had a steel target range in the back yard.... Actually, maybe I was the dick. Because around here, my neighbors might work third shift and my practice at noon is the same as 3am.

Really, everyone works shifts around here. And there's trains everywhere too. Also, think there's only five houses until the horizon in any direction. We all knew each other, and made sure it was cool.

The people who don't shoot, have a bike, or loud exhaust are the ones who drive a Buick Century, and leave their grass clippings on the road. Who's the real asshole?

Hard to tell what offends your neighbors. My neighbor kids squeal and chase each other all day. Sometimes it sounds like an injury or a dog attack, and hits me with a bolt of adrenaline.
In the country, I get no "fight/flight" reflex from gunshots... It's just pest control or recreation to me.... But like I said, squealing 7 year olds.... I'm worried about other people's kids.

Just like you can vacuum and cook downstairs in the morning and I won't wake up, but walk up the stairs and I'm WIDE AWAKE for that sound.

That sounds more like a city than the country. My neighbors were about a mile or more apart, except for one across the river. No factories, no trains; there were bikes though.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I had a nickel Smith K frame .44, which had the indentation wearing in the frame from the primers kicking back. Sold it back in the 80's and was glad, but I think they later recalled and fixed them.

Wheel pistols:
When I think .357, I think Colt
When I think .38, I think S&W
When I think .44, I think Ruger

Somebody asked me once what my favorite gun was. They are tools to me, and it would be hard to say which tool is your favorite, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts