What's new

Biocozyme messing up crop quality.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Ive been using hygrozyme forever. I recently got a jug of grow more's Biocozyme after hearing good reports, so i decided to use it when i ran out of the other product. Ive experimented many different enzymes in the past all the way up to flush with no problems whatsoever. Seniszyme, cannazyme, hygrozyme ect.. This time it was different.

I was about 4 weeks out form harvest with a 77 day variety when i applied Biocozyme. About 2 days afterward I started noticing the flower density was getting airy, and the pistils were growing differently than they normally do. The quality has decreased significantly on some of the new growth, especially aroma. Its reminds me of the effects pgr's like bushmaster, or some type of plant hormone. I am still flushing the crap out the coco as we speak to try and get the stuff out of there. I feel like i can still save the crop since i caught it early. I hope its not like bushmaster where it stays in the medium, and on the pots forever basically.

I havent used this product in veg yet, so i cant comment on the effects. One thing is for sure though. Ill never use it in flower again.

Has anyone had this experience?

BubbaBear

Shitty bro, I hope your plants bounce back, Ive never heard of Biocozyme doing anything like that. One thing for sure is Biocozyme is as much if a biostimulant as much as it is a enzyme product. The first ingredient listed is Alfalfa meal, that equals triacontanol right? Plus bacillus digested kelp probably delivers a bunch of other plant hormones. Are you already running tria or other plant hormones? What dosage are you running Biocozyme at? You must of crossed a line somewhere and over stimulated something. Its a fairly forgiving product from what Ive experienced, does it smell off? Maybe u got a bad batch.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I used it at the higher dosage rate just like most of the enzyme products ive used. I also use floralicious plus which has sea kelp, and other goodies in there. I use Boost which i believe has chitosan, or even possibly certain trichoderma species that produce chitin.

I'll take some pics of the effects of BCZ when I get a chance.

BubbaBear

Sounds like you got nutrient burn from increased up take from the Biocozyme and/or hormone burn. Looking at Grow Mores feed chart says to actually cut it out the last three weeks of flower which is odd for a enzyme product, but theres obviously a lot more going on with this product than just enzymes. It was the first enzyme product on the market but its way different than all the other enzyme products out, its almost a tea, to make it they take 5 strains of bacillus and all the ingredients on the bottle and then some and use the bacillus to digest the ingredients resulting in enzymes and plant hormones and stimulants, its a great product but its not just a digester like most the zyme products out.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I use BioCozyme and I used to use Hygrozyme--the products are not 100% the same and I would not substitute one's feeding schedule for the other.

This is what I do.

BioCozyme is part of my "zyme brew", which I feed to the plants (soil) every 10 days or so. Rate is 5ml/gallon each of: molasses, JumpStart and BioCoyzme. First treatment is about 7-10 days after transplant (juveniles) and I stop about 3-4 weeks before harvest.

BioCozyme used as a foliar spray does wonders, I observed increased branching, reduced stretching and more "bud sites". Same rate, 5ml/gallon every 10-14 days or so.

If you add JumpStart (at 1.25ml/gallon) with BioCozyme wow! You have a very powerful foliar spray combo. I replaced Boost with JumpStart for foliar spraying in veg and early flower...but still use Boost (10ml/gallon) for mid and late flower. I only use Boost as a foliar spray, IMHO Boost is too expensive when applied to the soil. JumpStart has triacontanol and other goodies...and much more affordable than Boost--so both have their place in my garden.

Some of the "unofficial" ingredients in BioCozyme: Naturally occurring ionic precursors cytokinins, hormones, enzymes, vitamins, amino acids, and micronutrients are derived from alfalfa meal, barley meal, hydrolyzed plant extracts, maize extract, mung beans, shark liver, and tomato extract.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I guess i should blame the problems on my own user error.
Although, they dont say anything on the bottle about not using it during the last 3 weeks of flower... Its kind of misleading conisdering most all other enzyme products can be used with no ill effects.

@ ECLIPSE- I figured this stuff would be the bees knees in veg though. Thanks for the info, ill give it a shot. Im a big fan of jumpstart already! Stuff is crack.

The label on BCZ says 1-2tbsp per 25 gallons... Thats equates to about 0.6-1.2ml/gallon. So by adding 5ml/gal you are using 5-10x strength? Im not trying to be a D, i just want to be sure you worded it correctly...

Im also curious as to why you use jumpstart at 1.25ml/gal instead of the reccomended 1tsp/5gal (1ml/gal). Have you compared and had better results this way?

Thanks for the input.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Nope, you have a good reason to question things that don't make sense. I spoke to Jacob, Growmore's formulator the rates of 5ml/gallon are what he suggested. He was interviewed in a podcast and discussed BioCozyme, JumpStart, and Avalanche--worthy of a listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zXj0yc3KG5Q&list=PLfGidlA9pwylmbuUUCT8u3yAjglKLlEIH

It is about an hour long, so roll a fatty, sit back and listen to the guy that makes the stuff.

I too had been using JumpStart at the 1-2.5ml/gallon rate, but after talking to him and re-listening to the podcast...I changed to the current 5ml/gallon for soil (every 10-14 days) and 1.25ml/gallon for foliar (weekly) and real happy with the results. Big difference.

When I used JumpStart at the 5ml/gallon rate as a foliar spray, I noticed whirl-like leaves and unusual growth. So I adhere to the instructions on the label: "Leaf Spray 1/4 teaspoon/gallon".

Play around with it and see for yourself.

Apache Kush

+floralicious plus which has sea kelp, and I use Boost which i believe has chitosan

^^^

yeah floralicious and chitsan .. i like your style...

I thought hydrozyme was to breakdown old roots in soil mediums for like recycled soil and to break down old roots and turn them into to good bacteria to feed on or benfits from..right..?

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I meant to say that Rapid Start is like crack. I havent used jumpstart yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Ill give it a shot.

Also. You foliar boost in late flower? Do you spray it all over the buds and everything? Ive had very noticeable results using it in the soil.
I would think to worry about mold, but if boost does in fact have chistosan, it acts as an antifungal against things like botrytis. Hmmm....

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Here it is.
The first pic is the effects of bcz. Airyness, lack of aroma, and notice the weird pistil growth, as well as excess of it.

The second pic is the normal structure.

The third pic shows one of the affected buds on the left, and all others around it are not nearly as bad. About 80% of normal.

Weird shit. Im never doing that again. I hope I helped someone prevent this from happening.

BetaGrow

Was just trying to help. If you disagree happy growing. Maybe check out beneficials and optimal res temps

Last edited:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
75-85 degree res temps? Closes eyes, shakes head left to right... And how does the speil about microbes come into play here?

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Deleted. Not worth my time was trying to help. If you disagree happy growing. Go read about beneficials and optimal res temps

Im well aware of what people are doing with beneficials and res temps. I am not in hydro btw. I just dont see how the whole speil you went on has anything to do with the specific situation at hand... Thanks for trying tho.

BetaGrow

The biocozyme creates thousands of metabolic processes utilized by your beneficials. These typically move in early in veg and die naturally by late flower, but if you're slamming with bcz this process is disrupted.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
So your saying this damage is caused by beneficials??? And by the way im not slamming with bcz, i applied it ONE time....because i was out of the other enzyme product. Ive been using beneficials for over a decade, and never had any negative side effects like this. Why have my other enzyme products not had this effect then? Why are we talking about beneficials still?!!

I appreciate the try Beta, but maybe you need to move out of growing in bathtubs before you start trying to give others advice. Theres already enough cfl/tent growers here who think they are overnight guru's.

BetaGrow

Bathrooms can be great environments. Super easy to keep clean. Easy access to water and drainage. Don't shit where you grow!

The first three posters explained that you don't use bcz in flower past week three. I explained why. Not sure why you're coming down on me. We're talking about beneficials and enzymes and things because like BubbaBear said "Sounds like you got nutrient burn from increased up take from the Biocozyme and/or hormone burn. Looking at Grow Mores feed chart says to actually cut it out the last three weeks of flower." This process obviously acts against where you want a plant nutrient wise in mid to late flower. Once again I explained a bit of the process behind this. What's the problem?

Rondon

His plants got wonky because of the Alfalfa (triacontinol) and hormones (cytos..auxins..and gibbs) from the Bio CoZyme product. He used it too late in flower. The hormones first off inhibit the ripening hormone ethylene (which is a gas). I bet his buds took alot longer than usual. And the alfalfa and hormones together inhibited thc production and terpenes. New flower pistil "stacked" onto mature ones and an overall loose airy appearance. Its why i say to lay off the hormones and alfalfa stuff after just the first few weeks of 12-12. Plants dont need much with nutrients and biostimulants in flower. Best to just feed them a steady base feed. Where they respond to all of that stuff is early and mid veg. Many products out there will have the same effect if you use them at the wrong time. Its all in the hormones.

Latest posts

Latest posts