What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

King Rat

hey there,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan

had anyone experience with this stuff?

I KNOW Advanced is/was using this in Budfactor X
in form of Chitosan oligosaccharide lactate and Glucosamine

I was reading a great article about chitosan as a nutrient solution additive.
should improve overall harder plant and better pest/mold resistance, better taste etc.

Any thoughts are welcome

grow on

KRat

Green Supreme

Veteran
There was a product called Rage in Canada being sold with chitosan. The ingredient is illegal in Canada for some reason, so they have had to remove it. They changed the name of Chitosan to Marinosan for a bit and it worked for a while, but gone again. Peace GS

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran

Indirectly by adding either crab, lobster or shrimp meals as a soil amendment. These specific marine organisms contain Chitin in their shells, IOW you would not find Chitin in Clam or Oyster Shells. Microbial activity breaking down Chitin creates the Chitinase enzyme and it's this enzyme that prevents insect eggs from maturing thereby preventing the larva to mature.

Chitosan is manufactured using bacteria to harvest this enzyme. I've never used the manufactured products.

CC

King Rat

There was a product called Rage in Canada being sold with chitosan. The ingredient is illegal in Canada for some reason, so they have had to remove it. They changed the name of Chitosan to Marinosan for a bit and it worked for a while, but gone again. Peace GS

whut?
chitosan is actually illegal in canada?
this ingredient is sold in apothecary for human consumption here.

dont want to use chitinase. i think about chitosan using in raw powder form
will search for the scientific article of testing chitosan on edible plants I was reading

I know this will end in a side by side grow where I have to test this.

N-P-Kali

hey there,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan

I KNOW Advanced is/was using this in Budfactor X
in form of Chitosan oligosaccharide lactate and Glucosamine

I was reading a great article about chitosan as a nutrient solution additive.
should improve overall harder plant and better pest/mold resistance, better taste etc.

Any thoughts are welcome

grow on

KRat

Hey there KingRat,

In my opinion Chitosan is a valuable tool in any growers arsenal. Chitosan was first classified as a PGR but also has a tremendous upside as a SAR promoter and has antimicrobial properties. Salicylic acid has similar properties and effects as well. http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/dec03/plant1203.htm

The downside of chitosan is the cost, around $400USD per 500g if sourced in country. I would speculate that sourcing it from India or China is a more cost effective option. You are correct about Bud Factor X, formerly know as Scorpion Juice, containing this compound.

King Rat

whoaaa 400$ is not cheap.

i can get 500g for 120 - 160 $

one is sourced from india.
and another one is from chinese deep sea crab.

I will give it a try of course.

i read that it is solvent in organic acids. my idea is to solve 500g in 1 Liter of humic acid. the time will tell how it works, i gonna order some.

grow on

KRat

N-P-Kali

whoaaa 400$ is not cheap.

i can get 500g for 120 - 160 $

one is sourced from india.
and another one is from chinese deep sea crab.

I will give it a try of course.

i read that it is solvent in organic acids. my idea is to solve 500g in 1 Liter of humic acid. the time will tell how it works, i gonna order some.

grow on

KRat

Agreed. Not cheap by any means.

Interesting. If I may I suggest after combining the Chitosan and warm water, you vigorously agitate, let stand and then filter with an ≤80micron screen before adding it to Humic acid. Chitosan contains a substantial amount of small particles that could be problematic for irrigation applications unless they are removed. The filtering will help avoid clogging of filters, emitters, or even watering wand breaker heads.

Might I also suggest 2-5% chitosan by volume. 500g in 1liter of humic acid will give you a very thick and "soupy" result.

Nice thread. Keep it up.

King Rat

nice NPKali

filtering it is a good idea.
I didnt mind it gets a creamy soup, thought when i add it to my reservoir it disolve enough, also i will try this by handwatering on a few test plants.

I will call up here when my chitosan arrived.

grow on

KRat

S

sweetestsin420

does budfactor x only contain chitosan,or does it have others like salylic acid?

omera1

you need 0,4M Hcl (or a bit vingar) to dissolve the chitosan. water only will not work.
and bud factor x has no salicylic acid in it. salicylic acid reduces resin in cannabis.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
I've been using chitosan since a few years. Got some from super grow, and usually use it along with brassinolides. Very very light, nearly homeopathic, doses I use (bought 1gr like 3-4 years ago, and still have more than half of it)
I use it mostly on young seedlings, to give a little boost, or to get back to life heat-shocked seedlings. When one of them is like all floppy, lying on the ground, like half-dead, a few spray of the stuff, and BAM! 12 hours later max., it's back, going full on.

Can be used also as a help for seed germination, in combination with brassi, and Gba.

Irie !

TheArchitect

Veteran
i will never use salicylic acid, there is no reason to use it.... use chito ;)

Sure there is, it works, and it's way cheaper. I don't spray my plants with anything past week 1 flower anyway, but I end salicylic acid foliars before flower.

Week 1 flower my plants get a spray of vitazyme with jh biotech's glycine chelated calcium.

omera1

....but it may reduce resin and with this also the potency.
if it works for you (or you think it works), just keep going!
but for me, SA is no choice no matter in which state!

TheArchitect

Veteran
It may reduce resin production in your study(which doesn't cover cannabis), but in my garden I know for a fact it doesn't. Especially since there is a four week window between the last SA application and the first signs of capitate trichrome production.

Also, I don't have the equipment to test for the physiological response of plants to exogenous SA application, but an overwhelming amount of evidence exist to support the fact it stimulates SAR in many plants.

Last edited: