What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help setting up coco drip system (drain to waste

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What about the brick coco is there any brand that is rinsed and charged in the pressed bricks or do you think that all of the compressed stuff should be rinsed prior to use. (At least to get all the dust and stuff out of there)

What's your thoughts on the co pressed bricks?

I used 3 or 4 different kinds of compressed coco bricks. After flushing and charging I thought they were OK. Then I tried some quality Canna Coco in the bag and was surprised how much better the plants liked it over the brick crap. Bagged Canna was kind of spendy here so I tried Canna compressed bricks. Canna bricks are just as good as their bagged stuff and cheaper. They are the only bricks on the market I know of that are ready to go, just hydrate with water. No rinsing and charging necessary.:tiphat:

Phases

I used 3 or 4 different kinds of compressed coco bricks. After flushing and charging I thought they were OK. Then I tried some quality Canna Coco in the bag and was surprised how much better the plants liked it over the brick crap. Bagged Canna was kind of spendy here so I tried Canna compressed bricks. Canna bricks are just as good as their bagged stuff and cheaper. They are the only bricks on the market I know of that are ready to go, just hydrate with water. No rinsing and charging necessary.:tiphat:

Yeah I hear ya - canna coco is $35/CDN for 50L that gets expensive when your running big grows - this run I did 1 gal pots of canna coco with some perlite - and do multi feeding and shorter veg time. But I have a few in 2 gal pots of straight coco and with same veg time and the root mass is way bigger (obviously) - the plants are bigger as well so I am leaning towards doing everything in 2 gal pots. From what I've read you can grow trees in 2 gal pots of coco - so I should be good with that size.

Anyways that's way I was asking about the bricks - wayyy cheaper - I ll have to see if I can get my hands on the canna bricks.

medicalmj

Veteran
Yeah I hear ya - canna coco is $35/CDN for 50L that gets expensive when your running big grows - this run I did 1 gal pots of canna coco with some perlite - and do multi feeding and shorter veg time. But I have a few in 2 gal pots of straight coco and with same veg time and the root mass is way bigger (obviously) - the plants are bigger as well so I am leaning towards doing everything in 2 gal pots. From what I've read you can grow trees in 2 gal pots of coco - so I should be good with that size.

Anyways that's way I was asking about the bricks - wayyy cheaper - I ll have to see if I can get my hands on the canna bricks.
I switched to all 2 gal fabric pots filled w 100% coco and yes you can grow trees. The only problem is that once you have nice flowers they can tip over even when watered if they become unbalanced.

Also, I have been reusing my coco for over a year now. Probably a mix of half GH brick and canna bagged. Had good first time runs with bricks following a rinse and charge.

Waxman

Hello mate,
I use canna nutes and a few other things, CoCoSativas a member here uses canna and gave me a run down on his canna nutes program and works great. I use blumats for automated watering with no runoff and keep my rez around ec 1-1.2 and a ph 5.8-6.0 5ml coco A and coco B and 2.5 ML of protect per gallon with a starting tap about 200 ppm on the 500 scale. once a week I mix the above but also add 5 ml per gallon in gallon jugs of thrive alive adjust my ph and water untill runoff, I mix in all on jugs because the thrive alive will plug up my blumats. Then shop vac the excess, then good for another week. I am in the second week of flower and so far so good keeping it the same other then I'm going to add in the pk13/14 as suggested.

As far as transplants I water/feed untill runoff and then water every other day for about a week and by then my roots are blowing out of the bottom drains holes, then I'm back to watering every day.
Hey man sorry to sound like a broken record but could you tell me what nutrients CoCoSativa told you he uses in his setup just so I can get an idea in my head what to buy besides the oblivious stuff.

I would recommend reading DJM's "Coco Trees" thread. It explains in detail a lot of aspects of growing in coco and to maximize the use of it. Filter out his posts so you can read all he has to share instead of reading everything else.

Dude, thanks for that. :tiphat:

Rondon

You can follow the Canna light to medium feed strength chart if your start water is is 0.2 to 0.4 EC. You can omit the very expensive Canna Boost (its ok at best for what they $$$). You can go half (2ml per gallon) of Rhizotonic to make it stretch except at transplant. You want Rhizo in there at transplant or pot up to get roots and health really moving. Foliar spraying dilute Rhizo makes it last linger too. This isnt a cheap additive either. Cannazyme isnt bad in price but isnt necessary. Does keep root health optimum and works great along with Rhizo and especaily for reusing coco coir. P/K Boost is optional and doesnt do much for me. A good calibrated pH and EC meter is a must. Follow the Canna light feed chart (without Boost) with Canna Brick Coco Coir in 2 and 3 gallon pots. Its as plug and play as you can get and grows perfect buds if your room/genetics and skills are up to par.