What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Lets stick to the DNA project or I will just remove the off topic posts in my thread.

Forum Facism takes many forms, you violate the TOU and yet call others names, yes why don't you look up the USA Cannabis laws having to do with seeds, it only takes a few minutes to find the truth. What was your truth that I am patenting Cannabis? How about the patent # with my name on it?
Until then I guess I will shun you, not for being inquisitive, but for being just so wrong.
-SamS

Limeygreen

Veteran
Will this end up with a nice and easy table to show relations of different genotypes or will it be more of a list? I am easier reading something like a chart than 50 + pages of findings, I will still read them but the chart usually helps it sink in a bit more.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It will be both and more, we have software that makes the data point of each sample a different point in a constellation, you can touch any point and see the data from that point, zoom in and see families and relationships, back away and see every data point. As soon as I can I will try and have the info available to be viewed, we have not yet analyzed the landrace populations, we started with local USA hybrids and have done maybe 1000 of these, we have also started on the 250 samples, mostly landraces I have collected up till now, I also have my personal collections to go through and find more to test. We have not yet started with samples that are hundreds or thousands of years old, we have quite a few, but want to be sure that our ability to get the DNA in good shape from antique samples is as good as possible before we try with the very old and very rare samples I have collect during my life. Should be interesting, but it does take time, we will be at this for several years.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This would be pretty cool. I'm betting you have some old exotic possibly extinct lines in seed form Sam. Colombian wacky weed perhaps?

The purpose is to discover Cannabis family relationships and Cannabis evolution as we build a Cannabis family tree.
While I personally am interested in old lines, the DNA project just wants the info we can gather from old seeds and old leaf samples, the project does not grow or maintain anything other then the database of info from the DNA. That does not equal a seed line, you need a live seed or seeds to keep that maintained, and we only keep the DNA info. We also plan to share that info.
The data base will be useful in the future to see if a given sample is what it is supposed to be, if two samples are the same clone or variety, and things like that.
It is the potential to reveal evolution that I find the most interesting, where did Cannabis originate, what populations were taken to India, Africa, the new world? From where?

I personally am interested in NLD varieties that can be grown nearer the equator and are up, clear, psychedelic, euphoric, cerebral, energetic, speedy, tasty with good vigor and pest & disease resistance, and strong as hell. I want to have more NLD lines that can be grown outdoors, be used to make dry sift hash, and are just great Ganja. To me WLD, Indicas, now dominate the drug gene pool, it would be nice to have more choices?
But the two wants are separate, DNA is pretty easy to collect, NLD varieties that are what I want personally is more work, and they need to be grown by me outdoors to understand their potential as is or as a NLDxNLD hybrid. I will need to GC the mature flowers to understand the Cannabinoids and terpene profiles. Colombian is a good place to start, I love the best of them.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I will try and start to make a list of what would be interesting for us, as well anyone can make suggestions here of materials we should looking at and I will add it.

Older samples are better because they are less likely to have foreign genes?
We can use dead seeds, dead leaves, live seeds, live leaves, dead pollen, live pollen, from:
--------------------
All landrace seeds/leaves/pollen, drug, hemp or wild or Ruderalis. WLD or NLD, WLH or NLH,
(Wide Leaf, Narrow Leaf, Drug or Hemp)

Maybe hybrids made with one or more of the above, if we also get the parents used to make the
hybrids, so we can do multi-generational studies.

Sterile plants, you will need to have a leaf.

Almost sterile plants to see why most seeds do not form. check the few seeds/and a leaf.

Intersex plants, various kinds, some with genes for intersex and some with genes that allow
intersex expression with the right conditions.

Monoecious plants, like some hemp varieties.

All female plants XX

All male plants YY

Varigated plants, if possible leaves both variegated and not from same plant?

Anything Auto, even if no THC.

Ruderalis seeds pure Ruderalis and F1 hybrids nice if we also get both parents used in the hybrid

Multi generational samples like F1, F2, F3, F4, including the original parents if possible.

Samples from a female clone and the selfed S1 offspring

Male fasciated plants, or Female

Whorled Phyloxy, Male or Female

Ducksfoot

Polyploids, tetraploid, triploid, diploid, aneuploid

ABC Australian Bastard Cannabis, Mongy, Dizzy, Bindy, Rasta?

Any thing more? Like Pollen? Hemp textiles, Cannabis stalks.

-SamS

Last edited:

PanTaG

Sam i might have a few things for you, let me some time till i'm able to PM you.

By the way that's a very interesting project you got there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles-scott

Veteran
Sam Leaves will being drying tonight ! will send you a complete collection of everything in the garden Auto's also .
I don't have many landraces growing now but I will fully cooperate with you over the next year or so as I begin to pop the collection .
I have some of the Chinese from Yunan 2005 here also will pm you with the full list of what I have for you now .
Charles

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks for the help, great!!
-SamS

Sam Leaves will being drying tonight ! will send you a complete collection of everything in the garden Auto's also .
I don't have many landraces growing now but I will fully cooperate with you over the next year or so as I begin to pop the collection .
I have some of the Chinese from Yunan 2005 here also will pm you with the full list of what I have for you now .
Charles

S

sourpuss

If anyone has DNA samples for us to test please PM me.
Even dead seeds, can have their DNA extracted and sequenced.
Post 67 in this thread is some of what we want, LANDRACES is number one.

Post #1 and #45 in the other thread explain a little more.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296538

Any questions you can PM me.
-Sams

Here we go homies... send in your elite clone only dna samples plzzzzzzzz....

We can now discover whats real and whats not. Whats the true lineage on ecsd??? Og kush??? Blueberry og(original), the truth behind nl 5, chemdawg, romulan.... whos cut is real???

Really gonna open our eyes to the whole industry....

S

sourpuss

I have access to a bag of romulan. Prob a bx from ogstock. Will see if I can send in a sample....

joe2

to Sam. Is there gonna be a website in the future with say a list of landraces and bread strains and there roots on this planet? how long till u start getting some info worth sharing?
The Lebanese community of South America was recently mentioned in a thread here. Maybe youll find some leb genes in some of those strains?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes we will share the data with the contributors and the public. We will post the info on a Phylos or Cannabis Evolution Project www site. I hope real soon we will have data posted.

-SamS

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you have landraces collected on your trips?
I am interested for sure.
-SamS
Hi Sam,I only just saw this thread as I've been away from IC and the web in general for a while again(usual reasons-I won't bore you). If you are interested I have more dead-collected seed's than I like to be reminded of TBH. I'm not back at my place until next week,but I will gladly sort through my pips then and let you know what's interesting:
I definitely have a bunch of African lines I collected(1 from Transkei I think you might find interesting especially),2 from Brazil,lots of Thai's and other Asian lines old and recent,1 oldie from Mysore and 1 from near Kerala,an Afghan family strain(sent to me) from '81 that's not germinated ever,a couple of old Jamaican lines.......There's other stuff too,I will message you when I have a better Idea and see if they are useful. JBo ;)

Tom Hill

Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snype View Post
I have a lot of seed of 1973 Santa Marta Columbian Gold but they won't germinate. Not sure if these interest you but if they do I'd be happy to send some in.

I want them.
-SamS

hehehe