What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The NEW C99 brother Grimm

~star~crash~

2016 Cindy ..its good but it ain’t the original..no offence intended

2016 Cindy ..its good but it ain’t the original..no offence intended

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

bigbadbiddy

It could be found because he found princess. He aimed to reproduce princess in seed form, just with stronger stems.

How can he decide that it didn't compare to any other Jack's? JH was released as an F1 with a large variation of possible phenotypes. I have one that finishes in 7 weeks so they obviously exist.

Well yeah but nobody else did find it, nor did they breed with/towards it.

And it didn't compare to any other jack that anyone else selected/bred with and released seeds from.

I'm just trying to say that "he just made F2s" or something is taking it a bit far on the criticism.

I too said this is a cash grab from day 1 that I heard Soul is coming back to re-release his stuff. Well not from that day but from the day I heard about the price. When I heard what they are charging, I was convinced it was a cash grab and will not live up to the hype/reputation.

But that shouldn't detract from the work done on the strain before its current iteration.

IntotheGreen

It could be found because he found princess. He aimed to reproduce princess in seed form, just with stronger stems.

How can he decide that it didn't compare to any other Jack's? JH was released as an F1 with a large variation of possible phenotypes. I have one that finishes in 7 weeks so they obviously exist.

2 small points here just for the record:

1) We are assuming that Princess, along with Genius, Cafe Girl, and the unnamed male plants that came from the seeds he found in the Amsterdam bud were Jack Herer F2s - and that may indeed be the most likely case - but we just don't know for sure. The pollen donor male could theoretically be any strain that was in or around the greenhouse or what-have-you where the fabled bud was grown.

2) To the stronger stems point, before Soul began the backcross process, he first crossed out to a Shiva Skunk to add in the desired sturdiness. As an interesting, if inconsequential, note - I found conflicting accounts of this step described by Soul himself. The earlier versions of the story on the web state that one of the male 'brothers' of Princess from that seeded Jack bud was first crossed to a female Shiva Skunk, and the male offspring of that cross was then crossed to Princess, yielding the P.50 generation, which was the starting point for the cubing process. Newer accounts that I've seen skip this step for some reason and state that a male Shiva Skunk was crossed to Princess to create P.50. For what it's worth, I think the original account is accurate, as even in the newer description, he still talks in general about the first step in the cubing process being crossing to a close male relative, so as not to lose any sex-linked traits in the line.

Last edited:

810FireFarm

to think that 5 males is bad because you got 5 males in 6 beans means nothing, In the grand scheme of the creation of a few hundred or even thousand seeds the balance evens in total, it is natures way.
To say a regular X/Y seed line is mostly all males is pure noobie talk

Also think of people, if a different man has a kid with a woman, their kids will not be the same as the original guys...no kids are the same, and neither are seeds...they are all a recombination of x/y genes. 2 people will not keep having gteh same kid again and again, they will all be different everytime, although some may have similar traits

Last edited:

Chappi

From what I gather, Princess has been kept alive as a clone, and Soul retrieved her from friends for the new production run of C99. He then grew out a bunch of original Cinderella seeds and selected a new male to be the father of the new issue of C99 (with Princess as the mother.)

While Bros. Grimm claim the new seeds are "identical" to the originals, this is not entirely true. From what I can tell, going by Soul's own descriptions of the Cinderella breeding process, and the BG Instagram page, the observed differences between the old C99 and the new are owing to a different father plant. In fact, if I'm interpreting correctly, the old Cindy (the seeds they first sold as C99) was actually the P.94 generation (~94% Princess genes, the result of the 3rd backcross of of Princess's male progeny to herself, so [Princess x P.88]). The NEW issue of Cinderella 99 appears to be an actual 4th backcross, in which an original P.94 male was grown out and selected to pollinate Princess and produce the new seeds for sale, which would now be P.97. It seems that Mr. Soul became enamored with this particular male due to its impressive structure and floral production, and used it in the reissue of C99 as well as several other of their new/old crosses. Here is a picture of the father from the BG's Instagram page:

View Image

So while the new issue is technically still original genetics, and theoretically closer to Princess genetically than the old version (P.97 vs. P.94), the new seeds do NOT contain an identical gene pool as the old ones. Soul himself states in the above IG post that he's NEVER seen a male like that before, so in a strain that has already been cubed to produce more or less stable, uniform plants from seed, choosing a male that clearly had enough outlying genes among that 6% of variation to produce a unique phenotypical expression was bound to shift the avg. phenotypical expression of the offspring compared to the prior issue.

So basically an expensive backcross?
Original clone crossed with a male from original seed stock....seems like not much better than buying F2’s from mosca who could aguably be a better breeder.

IntotheGreen

Original clone crossed with a male from original seed stock....seems like not much better than buying F2’s from mosca who could aguably be a better breeder.

Well, I can't personally speak to Mosca, but that's why in the end I went for Joey Weed's F2s for a third of the price. I've seen some pics in the other threads, and his new release looks EXACTLY like his gear from a decade ago. There is probably a more complete representation of the original gene pool in his F2s than in the new Grimm release. I have 4 Joey C99s just starting to flower now, and so far they seem to be pretty damn close to the plants I grew from his seeds in 2007.

LostTribe

Premium user
Well, I can't personally speak to Mosca, but that's why in the end I went for Joey Weed's F2s for a third of the price. I've seen some pics in the other threads, and his new release looks EXACTLY like his gear from a decade ago. There is probably a more complete representation of the original gene pool in his F2s than in the new Grimm release. I have 4 Joey C99s just starting to flower now, and so far they seem to be pretty damn close to the plants I grew from his seeds in 2007.

Post em up lets check them out!

From those first pics they look worthy.....

CrushnYuba

Joey weed is selling seeds again? I haven't seen them anywhere. I just got the bros grim c99 fems. Interested in seeing what the different " male " will do. It seems like i was the only one who actually likes the new regular bros grim stock though.

geneva_sativa

Pretty sure there are not nearly as many breeders that have used Mosca's work as there are those that have used Brothers Grimm.

Not trying to knock Mosca at all,

but just seeing how many people have used BG lines tells me alot.

CrushnYuba

The original C99 was always a back cross to PRINCESS. Its not that the new bros grim is a back cross to the origional c99.
I think the original was a bx3. So the New bros grim was a new male chosen from the original bx2 seeds and crossed to that original female that only bros grim has ever had.
Moscas are seeds from bros grim origional bx3 that he made f2s of.
I want joey weeds!

Cantbuymeloveuh

Flowered 1 c99 (reG) from the new release, disappointed. End up throwing it all out. I then flowered out their Apollo XX and in the last few weeks it completely purpled out on me, the most I have ever seen in any plant. Dont know if that is a trait that the Apollo strain had in it? Its currently curing but I dont think its going to be worth keeping either. Disappointed because I went crazy and picked up several different packs from them.

~star~crash~

does the 'newer' C99 versions have the same heavy pineapple, racy sativa high like the original C99? :tiphat:

not in what i found & i scored the C99 from the breeder as soon as they were re-issued in early 2016 ..it's very good marijuana ...it's NOT like the original ... they went Dark purple on me and smelled like cat-piss ..

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
not in what i found & i scored the C99 from the breeder as soon as they were re-issued in early 2016 ..it's very good marijuana ...it's NOT like the original ... they went Dark purple on me and smelled like cat-piss ..

yuck, no gracias. glad I got some worked C99(f4s)as freebies off the sBay back in my early days donated by JLP. heavy thick tropical pineapple taste and just a rocket racy high, floppy bastards though, couldn't hold their weight for anything. actually ran my keeper phenol for quite awhile before I lost it to either pm or mites. should crack some of the f2s someday, which technically f4 x f4 would make it an f8 then? is that how it works?

~star~crash~

yuck, no gracias. glad I got some worked C99(f4s)as freebies off the sBay back in my early days donated by JLP. heavy thick tropical pineapple taste and just a rocket racy high, floppy bastards though, couldn't hold their weight for anything. actually ran my keeper phenol for quite awhile before I lost it to either pm or mites. should crack some of the f2s someday, which technically f4 x f4 would make it an f8 then? is that how it works?

that is the C99 i wish i had :comfort: i knew her well! a long time ago

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I've sprouted a ton of Apollo 13 seeds back in the days, never had a purple pheno.

Recent reg version had no prple from a13, nor did i get purple from f2 back in day.. apolo11 back then had a purple tinge outdoor though. That apollo11 was from spice bros.