What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who love's cats?

Mr. J

My cat loves to eat weed. It's fine when he does it to a big plant but he can destroy a seedling or a recently rooted clone. I wish he'd stick to one plant, instead he goes around and nibbles everything.

He knows his weed though. He helps me make selections and he's good at it. Give him a choice of two plants and he'll have a sniff, then he eats the good one. If it's total bunk he won't even bother with it. He's been pretty consistent with his picks over the years.

Gry

Used to be involved with TNR .
Been caring for a colony of feral
cats long enough that
when conditions are right,
I can pick up the matriarch,
flip her over and rock her like a baby in
my arms while rubbing her stomach.
She trained me well long ago.

St. Phatty

Used to be involved with TNR .
Been caring for a colony of feral
cats long enough that
when conditions are right,
I can pick up the matriarch,
flip her over and rock her like a baby in
my arms while rubbing her stomach.
She trained me well long ago.

That's unusual for Feral cats.

I wish I could get my outdoor cat like he was when he was a kitten.

I think cats generally have a better survival rate when they let themselves be adopted.

What's TNR ?

Since I feed Don Juan, the outdoor cat, I do have control over his food.

Are there any Cannabis preps or other herbs that can help make a cat people friendly ?

Thinking about putting a tiny amount of pot cookie (no chocolate) in his next food dish. That's not cruel is it ?

Gry

Trap/Neuter/Release
http://fixnation.org/about-tnr/trap-neuter-return/
What is TNR?

Trap-Neuter-Return, or “TNR” for short, is the humane approach to controlling feral cat overpopulation. It’s a community-based program that involves concerned citizens like you trapping free-roaming cats in your neighborhood, bringing them to a clinic like FixNation to get them spayed or neutered, and then returning the cats to the exact location where you trapped them so they can live out the rest of their natural lives, ideally with a caregiver also providing food, water and shelter for them.
There exists in the Los Angeles area a very large population of homeless stray and feral cats. Given their strong survival capabilities and prolific breeding, if nothing is done, this population will simply continue to grow. If the population is left unchecked, it will only lead to more and more cats living in unmanaged colonies, a decrease in public tolerance of homeless cats, and increased pressure on the environment, animal control agencies and our society as a whole.
Trap and remove doesn’t work.

The old approach to controlling free-roaming cats was repeated extermination attempts. Capturing feral cats and turning them in to animal shelters, where they will be killed, may temporarily reduce their numbers, but this doesn’t solve the problem for long. Cats are living there in the environment because of two main reasons: 1) there is a food source (intended or not) and 2) there is some sort of shelter. When cats are removed from a location, it creates a “vacuum” effect — meaning the surrounding cats can sense it and they breed rapidly to fill in the gap, plus new cats move in to take advantage of the natural food and shelter sources. This vacuum effect is well documented. Trapping and removing cats often results in having even more unsterilized cats in the location than when you started. Catch and kill is very costly, doesn’t work, and ultimately it’s inhumane.
Trap-Neuter-Return is a proven and humane solution.

On the other hand, Trap-Neuter-Return programs are a very successful method of decreasing feral cat populations. TNR programs succeed at the least cost to the public and provide the best possible life for the cats themselves. Therefore, FixNation devotes most of its resources – financial, personnel and material – toward decreasing the number of homeless cats in our community by offering free sterilization services for homeless stray and feral cats at our clinic.
Are you feeding outdoor cats? You’ve also got to fix them.

Providing food, water and shelter for outdoor cats is important, but it’s also equally important to make sure all of the cats in the group or colony are spayed and neutered. If not, your small colony of today will soon be a very large colony tomorrow! Cat colonies can quickly quadruple in size in a very short period of time, as cats can have two to three litters per year of five to six kittens each. And then those kittens can become pregnant at about six months of age…and so the cycle continues. Spaying and neutering the cats will not only stop the breeding cycle, but it will also eliminate problematic behaviors such as howling, fighting and spraying.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to TNR!

St. Phatty

Are you feeding outdoor cats? You’ve also got to fix them.

I trust neither American doctors, nor veterinarians.

I could never take my indoor cat to be so mutilated.

Where I live, there is no excess of cats because the apex predator - mountain lions, eats cats.

My neighbor has 2 female leopard mixes that are about 5 months old. They will be the size of house-cats as adults. They have a big outdoor cage and a tunnel so they can go in his trailer/ mobile home.

The wire mesh on their cage is 1 inch x 2 inches.

Having seen how cats mate - laying in the dirt next to each other - it's obvious that the 1 x 2 holes in the wire mesh will not stop the 2 local male cats from mating with the new female cats.

They will use their claws & cling to the wire mesh. And fit their business through the holes in the mesh.

Anyway, I'm grateful for having female cats so close because it keeps the male cats near home.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Last November I was raking pine needles and putting 'em in a pile to use later in some gardens...

I came back to the pile and found this...

Attachments

• C.A.T..jpg
    C.A.T..jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 48

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I trust neither American doctors, nor veterinarians.

I could never take my indoor cat to be so mutilated.

Where I live, there is no excess of cats because the apex predator - mountain lions, eats cats.

My neighbor has 2 female leopard mixes that are about 5 months old. They will be the size of house-cats as adults. They have a big outdoor cage and a tunnel so they can go in his trailer/ mobile home.

The wire mesh on their cage is 1 inch x 2 inches.

Having seen how cats mate - laying in the dirt next to each other - it's obvious that the 1 x 2 holes in the wire mesh will not stop the 2 local male cats from mating with the new female cats.

They will use their claws & cling to the wire mesh. And fit their business through the holes in the mesh.

Anyway, I'm grateful for having female cats so close because it keeps the male cats near home.

coyotes are noted predators on feral AND tame cats. friends have had them taken right off of their porches...

St. Phatty

coyotes are noted predators on feral AND tame cats. friends have had them taken right off of their porches...

That's very good to know.

The cats learned to fear mountain lions when the Alpha Female was eaten in June 2018.

But they know nothing of dogs.

The forest behind me is about 2 miles wide, a strip of land maybe 2 miles long that opens onto a larger forest that's about 10x10 miles, 100 square miles.

Certainly pets make a good food source for other predators.

I saw a coyote looking dog once. It was following one of my chickens, who did not seem to be alarmed by it. I was just walking down the driveway. It seemed to back off after it saw me, and the chicken kept going. It's possible it was a coyote that was about to eat one of my chickens.

If the coyotes come around much, they are keeping awfully quiet. I always thought coyotes tended to howl as part of their group behavior.

I was thinking about posting another thread to ask the question, but since this thread is up ...

Is there a way to nudge an outdoor cat into being a People Person type cat ?

I have a beautiful male cat, named Don Juan, who lives in my garage and under the deck. The only cat left from the original Alpha Female, and also he understands that mountain lions are dangerous. Maybe that's why he hangs around, that and the constant source of rats in my garage.

Anyway, I would really like to have him as a pet cat. I've never heard him purr or meow. I'm not asking him to start making normal cat sounds, just to not be scared of me. He has gotten as far as sneaking in the house.

Once he was sitting in the cab of the truck with one of the chickens and when I opened the door, Don Juan made a run for it. Definitely did not want to be petted.

I feed him kibble and canned cat food every day.

So, besides Cannabis, what other foods or possibly medications might help Don Juan be a people person ?

Like, ecstasy for cats.
I hear that ecstasy makes people like skin contact, hugging, etc.

Question #2
In the Cannabis category, what can I give Don Juan that might help him relax around people a little without being unhealthy in any way ?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
That's very good to know.

The cats learned to fear mountain lions when the Alpha Female was eaten in June 2018.

But they know nothing of dogs.

The forest behind me is about 2 miles wide, a strip of land maybe 2 miles long that opens onto a larger forest that's about 10x10 miles, 100 square miles.

Certainly pets make a good food source for other predators.

I saw a coyote looking dog once. It was following one of my chickens, who did not seem to be alarmed by it. I was just walking down the driveway. It seemed to back off after it saw me, and the chicken kept going. It's possible it was a coyote that was about to eat one of my chickens.

If the coyotes come around much, they are keeping awfully quiet. I always thought coyotes tended to howl as part of their group behavior.

I was thinking about posting another thread to ask the question, but since this thread is up ...

Is there a way to nudge an outdoor cat into being a People Person type cat ?

I have a beautiful male cat, named Don Juan, who lives in my garage and under the deck. The only cat left from the original Alpha Female, and also he understands that mountain lions are dangerous. Maybe that's why he hangs around, that and the constant source of rats in my garage.

Anyway, I would really like to have him as a pet cat. I've never heard him purr or meow. I'm not asking him to start making normal cat sounds, just to not be scared of me. He has gotten as far as sneaking in the house.

Once he was sitting in the cab of the truck with one of the chickens and when I opened the door, Don Juan made a run for it. Definitely did not want to be petted.

I feed him kibble and canned cat food every day.

So, besides Cannabis, what other foods or possibly medications might help Don Juan be a people person ?

Like, ecstasy for cats.
I hear that ecstasy makes people like skin contact, hugging, etc.

Question #2
In the Cannabis category, what can I give Don Juan that might help him relax around people a little without being unhealthy in any way ?
Give him a caged domesticated female cat in heat (just for the sex part). one of the offspring could be a keeper, just like the dad. Other than that I got nothing.. except small amounts of edibles, like you suggested, not in you opening post. I know the wanting of a cat I'm partial to but mine is not a lap cat either..

Bobby Boucher

I found this little rascal out front of my piano teachers house a few weeks ago.

She's 2. She is shaped like an eggplant, and prefers to sit upright like a person.

She just chases my other little cat around the house all day. Took some getting used to, but they seem to enjoy stalking each other.

picture.php

armedoldhippy

Veteran
bought my deranged feral rescue cat her own growing catnip plant. so far, she eats all of the leaves i have given her. is this normal? :)

Betterhaff

Veteran
Does she get wacky? I usually rub dried catnip on my girl’s toys, she goes crazy and she’s not ingesting much.

I have to keep the catnip in the garage and take the toys out there to rub em up with it. As soon as I come back in the house she starts meowing at the top of her lungs. The fun really begins when I give her the toy.

One time I found some catnip growing wild and brought some home…she went nuts as soon as I walked in the door, had to immediately take it to the garage.

Cdnguy

Babysat my moms cat last week and it was great and cuddly and sleeping during the day but at night turned into a devil. Scratched my bed, the walls, carpet etc and ran up and down the stairs bouncing off the walls. What a week! Now my sleeping pattern is screwed.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Babysat my moms cat last week and it was great and cuddly and sleeping during the day but at night turned into a devil. Scratched my bed, the walls, carpet etc and ran up and down the stairs bouncing off the walls. What a week! Now my sleeping pattern is screwed.

welcome to the wonderful world of cats...misery loves company. :tiphat:

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
The Male is a "Persian flat nose" imported from russian breeders, the Girl ( his girlfriend ) is a "Persian with a normal nose"

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

they usually go to the toilette same time
picture.php

picture.php

St. Phatty

Got a 12 week old male kitten.

Been feeding him Beef Heart, cut up into cubes. It looks a lot like Sashimi, i.e. raw tuna.

He prefers the raw meat (over beef heart sauteed in butter, medium rare), so I give him the Beef Heart Tartare.

He finishes off 2 ounces and I gave him another 2 ounces, for the morning feeding. Trying to give him as much as he can eat.

Also then he gets a can of cat food. At least he did yesterday.

He falls into a Deep Sleep, like I've never seen in a cat. I was a little worried at first, like it was the cat version of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Next comes the feline version of (dry) Navy Seal training. Letting him run up & down the hill.