What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

calculating pool shock quantity

Fatcrybaby

I have brown slime algae again!
I've had some success using pool shock to keep my rdwc sterile, but I think I've been under dosing it. Im wondering if this makes sense

res size is 600 gallons
goal chlorine ppm is 3
city water is 1ppm chlorine
1ppm=1mg chlorine per liter
so my 600 gallon res is 2271 liters so to add 2ppm chlorine to it i need to add 4541mg of the calcium hypochlorite to it, but hth is 45% so that 4541*2.22= 10081 mg of calcium hypochlorite
or 10.081 grams.

i just want to make sure there are no glaring errors with this before i dump 10 grams of this shit into my res, this is just seems like too much.

thanks

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Do people really use pool shock??

In the res???

depends on the shock method, if its chlorine, its really just a little bit worse than running UC roots that current culture sells for their RDWC systems. but it runs way more mild and to fight pythium

IMO roots and nutrient rich water are sensitive. Brown Algae is best dealt with by using substances that some rich asian guy is okay with having his 10k koi swiming in

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
True, Lester, true...
But...
Chillers are expensive af!

1 bag of pool shock will treat 10000+ gallons of water.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
even with chillers, brown algae can take off. They're still worth it for pythium though.

IMO if chillers aren't worth the investment for the grow, switch to a medium not as dependent on water temps.

There is a reason most bigger grows run promix lol

Fatcrybaby

ideally grab yourself a fish safe algacide instead. https://www.amazon.com/Mars-Fishcar...8031&sr=8-6&keywords=algaecide+for+fish+tanks

Chlorine at the levels needed to kill brown slime can do weird shit to the nutrients. For a res of your size, the investment in something safer is worth it.

I've never heard of anyone using this. Have you used it? Are there typical hydroponic directions?
Thanks

Btw.
I keep my res cool. Never gets over 68, and I run compressed O2 through a veturi nozzle into the res, I think the dissolved oxygen is very high