Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Laws & Cannabis Legislation > Say so long to the caregiver model, welcome to walmart.

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at Seedbay
View Poll Results: What will happen to caregivers and home grows upon legalization?
I think caregivers will be gone, and thats a good thing for the people. 3 8.82%
I think caregivers will be gone, and thats is not good for the people. 5 14.71%
I think caregivers will be gone along with home growing and thats what the people want. 1 2.94%
I think caregivers will be gone along with home growing and thats not what the people want. 18 52.94%
I think caregivers and home growing will be preserved upon legalization. 10 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Say so long to the caregiver model, welcome to walmart. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2016, 07:24 PM #1
shaggyballs

shaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to beholdshaggyballs is a splendid one to behold
Say so long to the caregiver model, welcome to walmart.

Please cast your vote and leave a comment!

LANSING, MI — Michigan law enforcement officials are not fully backing plans to overhaul the state's medical marijuana system, but unlike last year, they aren't standing in the way of proposed legislation.

"While law enforcement cannot support any legislation that by definition is illegal under federal law due to the classification of marijuana, what we can do is find a position not to oppose having a tough and tight regulatory framework," said Howell Police Chief George Basar, legislative chairman for the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police.

Basar and other law enforcement officials testified Tuesday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is considering House-approved legislation that would allow the state to license and regulate medical marijuana dispensaries, growers and other related businesses.

Michigan's medical marijuana law, approved by voters in 2008, created a system where registered patients and caregivers can grow a limited number of plants, but it did not address storefront dispensaries. The state Supreme Court, in a 2012 ruling, held that dispensaries can be shut down as a public nuisance.

Law enforcement groups successfully blocked medical marijuana dispensary legislation last session, but sponsoring Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville, made a concerted effort to bring them to the table this year.

His new medical marijuana bill, which would impose a 3-percent tax on dispensaries' gross retail income, is part of a larger package that would also create a seed-to-sale tracking system for plants and establish rules for edible and other non-smokable forms of the drug.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Rick Jones, a former Eaton County Sheriff, generally supports the move toward a regulated medical marijuana industry but is sympathetic to concerns from the law enforcement community.

"I think we've reached the point of the wild wild west out there right now," said Jones, R-Grand Ledge. "Apparently caregivers are selling their overages to these dispensaries, there's not licensing, people don't know what they get."

Law enforcement groups proposed several changes to the medical marijuana bills on Tuesday. Read about some of their requests below.

GET RID OF CAREGIVERS

If dispensaries are formally allowed, law enforcement groups would like the state to stop registering caregivers, who are allowed to grow up to 12 plants each for five patients in a secure location, including their home. As of last year, there were about 23,000 registered caregivers in Michigan and 96,000 patients.

"Once the system is up and running, there will be no need for caregivers to grow a product since the patient will be able to access marijuana at the dispensaries," said Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth, who testified on behalf of the Michigan Sheriffs' Association.

Sgt. Amy Dehner of the Michigan State Police said the agency remains concerned that extra marijuana grown by caregivers — known as "overage" — will make its way to the black market, and MSP does not support allowing caregivers to sell to dispensaries.

"We don't have an answer for the overage other than to either phase out or completely get rid of the caregiver model," she said.

Doing so would confirm the worst fears of medical marijuana activist, who believe the reform effort is an attempt to undermine the caregiver model.

"This is what patients and caregivers have been worried about since the start of this legislative process back in 2011," said Rick Thompson, a medical marijuana advocate and board member for Michigan NORML.

"We've never seen law enforcement agencies openly speak about destroying a core value of the Michigan Medical Marihauana Act until now, but they spoke about it so casually, it almost made it seem as if the decision has been made."

It would be hard for the Legislature to eliminate the caregiver system — a 3/4 supermajority vote is required to amend a voter-approved law — and Jones made clear that is not the intent of the current legislation.

But Thompson, who was frustrated that there was no public comment period during Tuesday's hearing, said he is concerned that a court ruling or legal interpretation could jeopardize the caregiver model in the future.

OUTLAW 'UBER WEED'

The medical marijuana legislation would create a new state license for "secure transporters" to shuttle marijuana between businesses, but state police suggested adding language to prevent home deliveries and internet sales by dispensaries.

"What we want to avoid is the private delivery services — Uber Weed, insert random name here — people that are delivering as dispensaries to patients or caregivers," Dehner said.

She also suggested the Legislature consider additional regulations for transporters — such as bonding, the use of unmarked trucks or having at least two people in a vehicle at all time — to ensure that marijuana is delivered in a safe and secure fashion.

Dehner acknowledged concerns that tight marijuana transportation regulations could create a monopoly-like system for companies that already ship tobacco and alcohol, but she said a secure system is a top public safety priority for state police.

"In our mind, the transportation part of this is just as important as licensing the other tiers within this structure," she said.

ADD LOCAL INSPECTIONS, LOCAL FUNDING

The current legislation would allow state police to inspect medical marijuana facilities, but local police and county sheriff's should also have that authority, according to Wriggelsworth.

"Inspection by local police is a valuable tool for making sure that licensees are in compliance with the law and to enforce the act," he said.

Wriggelsworth also suggested that registered caregivers should be subject to similar licensing and inspection rules, a proposal that did not sit well with activists.

"It's scary," said Thompson. "Allowing police to enter your home anytime they want just to inspect your grow is constitutionally troubling and violates what the Founding Father's intended."

If local police are to enforce the law, they should also get a cut of the dispensary tax revenue, according to Wriggelsworth. The law, as currently written, provides funding to sheriff's but not municipal police departments.

Basar, with the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police, also suggested law enforcement should have "access to any database of licensees, so we're able to quickly and easily confirm individuals' standing."

STRENGTHEN DRUGGED DRIVING LAWS

Law enforcement officials want legislators to sign off on "enhanced roadside detection" methods for for drugged driving, as Dehner put it.

State police have seen a "spike" in the number of cases where "cannabanoids" were detected in a driver's system since the medical marijuana law took effect, she said, topping out at 91 cases in 2012.

Separate Senate legislation, would allow Michigan State Police to develop a pilot program for roadside marijuana testing, including the use of oral swabs or new breath test technology designed to detect the main psychoactive chemical in the drug.

The edible medical marijuana bill should make direct reference to driving while impaired, according to St. Clair County Prosecuting Attorney Mike Wendling, president of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan.

"Just like we are concerned about the use of all substances, whether they be legalized or illegal or prescription or alcohol, these substances need to be considered in the operation of cars."

The Michigan Legislature approved a drugged driving bill last year, but only after removing roadside saliva testing language due to concerns that the science was inexact and could lead to improper arrests of medical marijuana patients.

"THC standards just aren't there," said Thompson, who is opposed to the new roadside testing bill. "They can detect presence but not impairment. It's an incomplete tool, and to try to put that into widespread use, without training or understanding the science, is irresponsible."

WHAT'S NEXT

The recommendations from law enforcement groups are just that, recommendations. The Senate Judiciary is expected to continue testimony on the bills in December before making any changes or holding a vote.

Source...https://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...hanges_to.html
Ins and outs of Pythium
OVERGROW FAQ

SEEDPAC Politically Active Cannabis

Fighting for Michigan's Medical Marihuana
Patients and Caregivers rights

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
shaggyballs is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:18 PM #2
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
i responded to your deletion...

Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM #3
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Last choice...

Otherwise its NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM... LEGAL!

Now I'll read the post.

::edit::
Sounds like dem piggys are a tad scared of a lil change that could only make their jobs easier so they gotta recommend a shit load of draconian ideas just to keep their ego power trip pumped up.

As for medical caregivers, they need to have some way to ensure patients arent being poisoned but the notion that any cop coming over for a quick visit is absolutely appaling.
First of all... they're cops... not chemists or botanast.
Second... They aint doctors! For them to have access to med records is a violation of the doctor/patient PRIVATE relationship is a Constitutional violation. It's bad enough that a registry exists in the first place!
MJPassion is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 PM #4
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPassion View Post
Last choice...

Otherwise its NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM... LEGAL!
Does that make two of us now? lol

MSP are scrambling for ways to control the market. It is pretty well known how things work here in Michigan for most dispensary/caregiver relations. They don't want a system for the entire state that operates like Detroit.

Can we instate a law that citizens are allowed into the home of state employees to make sure they are following all the rules 100% of the time? Might not be a bad argument to bring up since they are payed with tax dollars.

A question...

What is going to happen when the cottage law comes into play for small "boutique" home growers?

Last edited by growingcrazy; 04-05-2016 at 12:02 AM..
growingcrazy is offline Quote

Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 AM #5
stoned-trout
if it smells like fish

stoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivor
bend over your about to get boned...and soon the police wil get a cut of the sales...wtf??? and inspections when they want ...fuck that shit....yeehaw
SML..iff mi spellin and centances suk and yoo don't lyke itt too fukkin bad;/?.....I once was asked what I would say upon getting to the gates of heaven??? m/r is a visitors badge an option??? I would like a few drinks at the bar... YEEHAW....vote for real legalization not sum bullshit...free the weed or kiss my ass...you wont be getting my tax money..
stoned-trout is offline Quote

Old 04-05-2016, 02:44 AM #6
FunkBomb
Power Armor rules

FunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of light
Bankrupt Detroit, lead water in Flint, now this. It's no wonder people are leaving that state.

-Funk

Bertrand Russell
FunkBomb is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 PM #7
stoned-trout
if it smells like fish

stoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivor
they are gonna clamp down in every state don't be fooled...they make one law then adjust it to suit their needs later on once its passed...yeehaw..but for now I can have 6 pounds and up to 99 plants here in cali...
SML..iff mi spellin and centances suk and yoo don't lyke itt too fukkin bad;/?.....I once was asked what I would say upon getting to the gates of heaven??? m/r is a visitors badge an option??? I would like a few drinks at the bar... YEEHAW....vote for real legalization not sum bullshit...free the weed or kiss my ass...you wont be getting my tax money..
stoned-trout is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:52 AM #8
m314
IC Mag Supporter

m314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud ofm314 has much to be proud of
I think it should be 100% legal for any adult to grow, buy, or sell as much as they want. I didn't see that option in the poll.
m314 is offline Quote

Old 04-08-2016, 05:01 AM #9
stasis
Registered Non-Conformist

stasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud ofstasis has much to be proud of
Stoned Trout is right. THIS is the model that the country is going towards. And you can count on MIchigan to be VERY greedy and corrupt.

I;d move away AGAIN, even though it is so tough. THing is, out west is the only interesting option. And THAT market is full, and too costly.

Up North Underground sounds great, but that means living as a criminal in total. There are so many Task forces up N that odds are not good. People are getting a bit desperate up there, feels like NorCal once again. Lowballers rule. Desperate growers selling out for whatever.

Michigander Cannabis users and growers ALWAYS get boned. Gotta take the bull by the horns - come up with solutions, and deal with the anxiety/isolation of an underground life.

Cheers. Having a tough week.
stasis is offline Quote

Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 PM #10
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned-trout View Post
they are gonna clamp down in every state don't be fooled...they make one law then adjust it to suit their needs later on once its passed...yeehaw..but for now I can have 6 pounds and up to 99 plants here in cali...
This is the best reason to ammend each States Constitution; to allow personal home growing without licensing like CO.
But 1 up CO by not putting plant counts in the Constitution of your state.
MJPassion is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.