What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Manipuri

el gordo

started smoking the first joints and all i can say is i'm very impressed, this strain is much better bred than most of the occidental wannabreeders stuff, plagues and mold resistant, high potency in most of the plants (only smoked one that is a bit less potent), the flavours depending on the pheno are more sweeter o more hashy piney (the clearest and my favourite, very similar in the terpene dept to the thai stick, the cbg's punto rojo or the punto rojo phenos in the othaze) just much better bred, much more potent, clear, and flavourful, i bet this strain is just like the mythical sativas of yesteryear were, especially the thais and the punto rojo. i found one individual that may be the most energizing and long lasting (5 hrs) stuff that i've smoked, this selected plant is the last one that was pictured, the high is as potent as any potent occidental hybrid but very energizing, the effect is very similar as sam skunkman described smoking pure thc, gives you some anxiety and puts you even in a little agressive mood, but in a good way, like you do things with a let's smash this motherfuckers attitude, perfect for working, sports or things like that, the other phenos that i've smoked have not this agressive and so much energizing vibe to them, they are more psychedelic, and a bit more feel good, not euforizing as the nepalese and mexican stuff but much more potent. definately the high frequency of high potency plants surpsied me a lot, maximum consitency for this trait.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks el gordo, very interesting report. This strain is now on my list. It seems you have smoked CBG Punto Rojo and prefer this? High praise I would say.

This could be the basis for the better Colombians, Mexicans eh? They got it from somewhere, pot was not native there afik. Like that there are different phenos with different effects so you are not stuck with one high.

el gordo

in my opinion the mexicans are more related to the nepalese genepool as they have the same flowering period and kind of effect, while the thais, manipuri and punto rojo share a lot of characteristics and forms a different family, more potent, later flowering, but not as euforizing ... this is not a scientific statement or something, just my perception as grower/smoker....

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Mexicans lean towards Pakistani strains in Phylos, while Colombians come out looking Thai or African. These Manipuris look a lot like Zamal or some red Colombians in appearence. According to some sources it was in fact northeast India or Bengal that produced most of the worlds ganja exports in colonial times.

And I now have a Manipuri female! Took only 10 weeks to show sex. Sorry about the N overdosed look, I didn't pay much attention to her this time around, makes time pass faster

el gordo

Mexicans lean towards Pakistani strains in Phylos, while Colombians come out looking Thai or African. These Manipuris look a lot like Zamal or some red Colombians in appearence. According to some sources it was in fact northeast India or Bengal that produced most of the worlds ganja exports in colonial times.

post 80's mexicans may be pakistani related through skunk introduction but the classic lines.... i don't think so...to me they were selections based on the best phenos of the nepalese sativas, as some strains are nearly identical, just the keeper ratio is much lower on the nepalese strains, but the best of each have the same effects, potency, vibe and flowering times.... that's why i belive they're very closely related.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
post 80's mexicans may be pakistani related through skunk introduction but the classic lines.... i don't think so...to me they were selections based on the best phenos of the nepalese sativas, as some strains are nearly identical, just the keeper ratio is much lower on the nepalese strains, but the best of each have the same effects, potency, vibe and flowering times.... that's why i belive they're very closely related.

Nepalese strains appear closely related to Pakistani so it might be difficult telling them apart. In Phylos some Mexicans do apprear to lack any indica influence but show relatedness with skunk. Pre-skunk Mexicans?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
So if I PLANT some seeds that I saved from some 90s outdoor heads bud. what might the be more like the Colombians or more Pakistani or just some super THC loaded Mexican strain what ever that is defined as? I might plant some just to se what I get. :)

el gordo

Nepalese strains appear closely related to Pakistani so it might be difficult telling them apart. In Phylos some Mexicans do apprear to lack any indica influence but show relatedness with skunk. Pre-skunk Mexicans?

Good morning thule! I think this pure mexican sativa relation works the opposite way, they are related because skunk has mexican in it, cheers!

ngakpa

Veteran
great to hear people are enjoying the Manipuri

the stock is 2 years old now, so I am giving it away as a freebie

conradino23

Got these beans as freebies together with Red Leb and your reports are really promising. I grew Nanda Devi, one of the best low THC sativas I ever tried, fantastic meditative high and if this one is even better I'm looking forward to it.

ngakpa

Veteran
Manipuri is a ganja cultivar, so typically is going to be significantly stronger than the Nanda Devi (which is a charas cultivar).

Manipuri plants are typically going to be high teens THC plus, whereas a standout strong ND plant is going to be around the low teens THC.

Here is how the Manipuri can look when nurtured in a home in Imphal.

conradino23

Ngakpa, I'm popping few seeds, so we'll see. I kinda take a liking to strains from this part of Asia and they finish on time here. I have to say Nanda Devi was something special. She was just begging to make charas, resin was coming off easily and was very black. Bud had a shitty taste, but amazing high.

thejact55

Popped all 12 of my mani seeds a few weeks back. Only three popped :(
Fisrt time I got bad germ rates from RSC, oh well couple year old seeds, guess it's how it goes.
I put 8 ukhrel in paper towels, 5 popped, so I can cross in that strain if I don't get at least one of both sexes from the mani seeds.
Kinda bummed, was really looking forward to a room full of Manipuri. I'll update when they are a little bigger on my thread.
Ngakpa- Any hope of these Manipuri coming back to seedsman? Want to get more original stock as my seeds I'm making will either be mixed with ukhrel or only 3 total plants going into making my pure seeds, not alot of the gene pool to pull from

herbgreen

Veteran
I wonder if fresh stock of this will come back around?

Seems like a ganja of utmost importance if not interest ....

I'm interested

weedtoker

Veteran
Hey ngakpa and all the other brothers, I tried to pop 4 packs of Manipuri and only 20 something came about to see the light. It doesn't look about them being old, more about the toughness of the shell and envolving calyx?(not sure about term right now, will edit) wich smothered several of them. The "DJ" method of popping them like birdseeds was what actually saved some dozen or more to start their life. So serves as a warning from a guy that usually starts his seeds directly on the soil. Still, with more than half up, can't say i'm not excited to see what comes out of these gems, very grateful for this release even before the completion of the run.

cheers

seeded

Popped all 12 of my mani seeds a few weeks back. Only three popped :(
Fisrt time I got bad germ rates from RSC, oh well couple year old seeds, guess it's how it goes.
I put 8 ukhrel in paper towels, 5 popped, so I can cross in that strain if I don't get at least one of both sexes from the mani seeds.
Kinda bummed, was really looking forward to a room full of Manipuri. I'll update when they are a little bigger on my thread.
Ngakpa- Any hope of these Manipuri coming back to seedsman? Want to get more original stock as my seeds I'm making will either be mixed with ukhrel or only 3 total plants going into making my pure seeds, not alot of the gene pool to pull from
Damn that sucks and makes me fearful for the pack I have in the fridge as they're around the same age and I won't be able to sprout mine for another six months or so.

Good luck getting both a boy and girl but if worse comes to worse the hybrid with ukhrel sounds like it should be quite nice indeed especially if it brings some of that compact sativa structure to the hybrid while retaining the manipuri quality. There'd be gold in those genes for sure :biggrin:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey ngakpa and all the other brothers, I tried to pop 4 packs of Manipuri and only 20 something came about to see the light. It doesn't look about them being old, more about the toughness of the shell and envolving calyx?(not sure about term right now, will edit) wich smothered several of them. The "DJ" method of popping them like birdseeds was what actually saved some dozen or more to start their life. So serves as a warning from a guy that usually starts his seeds directly on the soil. Still, with more than half up, can't say i'm not excited to see what comes out of these gems, very grateful for this release even before the completion of the run.

cheers

What is the dj birdseed method? I have some Indian seed now and not that many of each strain.:tiphat: