What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I have not had a mouse in a res yet, but did have one come flying out a eight inch fan before. There was some hair missing from it.

Globule

G'day to you all :tiphat:

I've been screening some turface over the weekend but my screen was 1/6" (4mm) as opposed to the recommended 1/8" (3mm).

I've got two questions I hope someone can help me with pretty please?

1. Will the turface having been screened through a larger screen size of 1/6" impact badly on the wicking ability when used in a PPK?

2. If I ran the "fines" that fell through the screen through a standard kitchen seive would the remaining turface be suitable for planting seeds into?

Cheers!

Mister_D

Veteran
I have not had a mouse in a res yet, but did have one come flying out a eight inch fan before. There was some hair missing from it.

:laughing: Had one come through a fan once myself, was missing a bit more than his hair though :moon:. Let's just say I tossed the fan......

SecondAttempt

I've been screening some turface over the weekend but my screen was 1/6" (4mm) as opposed to the recommended 1/8" (3mm).

1. Will the turface having been screened through a larger screen size of 1/6" impact badly on the wicking ability when used in a PPK?

2. If I ran the "fines" that fell through the screen through a standard kitchen seive would the remaining turface be suitable for planting seeds into?

Cheers!
1/16 is actually smaller than 1/8 so you could rescreen it through the correct screen... I think D9 says he isn't screening now that he's using larger tails so screen size may be a moot point.

Globule

1/16 is actually smaller than 1/8 so you could rescreen it through the correct screen... I think D9 says he isn't screening now that he's using larger tails so screen size may be a moot point.

G'day Mr Attempt. It was actually 1/6" not 1/16" of an inch screen but yeah think maybe I'm being overly concerned with screening size.

I just had a suitable screen with 1/6" holes so thought I would use that and I think I still will.

I'm using not-so-wide tail parts for my current build though so I think I'll just relax a bit and screen through the 1/6" screen. A bit more drainage ability in my turface might be useful if I'm using narrower tail pieces than prescribed.

Cheers!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I stopped drilling holes in buckets, long ago (TG!):woohoo:... remember that torture? HA! sorry D9.
and now, I'm not screening the MVP any longer either... starting today :woohoo:.. thanks D9.

except for D9s evolutions and engineering upgrades, this is getting easier and easier to do.

I'm now going to clean MVP by : filling wheel barrow 1/2 way with MVP (or a bag at a time), fill to 3/4 fill with water, stirring a little while filling, then just tip wheel barrow forward, dirty water, and roots if its used media, come to the top and runs out. fill/drain a number of times.. the turface cleans up much easier than floordry stuff.

MedScientist

I stopped drilling holes in buckets, long ago (TG!):woohoo:... remember that torture? HA! sorry D9.
and now, I'm not screening the MVP any longer either... starting today :woohoo:.. thanks D9.

except for D9s evolutions and engineering upgrades, this is getting easier and easier to do.

I'm now going to clean MVP by : filling wheel barrow 1/2 way with MVP (or a bag at a time), fill to 3/4 fill with water, stirring a little while filling, then just tip wheel barrow forward, dirty water, and roots if its used media, come to the top and runs out. fill/drain a number of times.. the turface cleans up much easier than floordry stuff.

Hey Snook(ie)! I use a 28 Gallon Tote filled half way with MVP then Water, dump, water, dump.... just like your plan, and it works GREAT! When I am Re-Using/Washing the MVP, I add some H2O2 and soak to let it pull the root bits to the top... stirring between root extractions to free up more! I figure this would take care of any stray bugs too?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

Cheers!

using 4mm screen you almost won't have anything left to use.

even 3mm or 1/8" is too large of a screen opening.

I was screening over standard aluminum window screen which is closer to 1/16" or 1mm.

but I have found that just washing it thoroughly and removing the fines drives up the air filled porosity somewhat over the stuff right out of the bag.

I believe I tested it at around 22% before washing but I haven't checked it yet after washing in the cement mixer.

I think it's going to be close to 30% but i'll do one when I get back home to be sure.

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran

K in marginal range - boost for quality
Ca & Mg in optimum range -- When applying Calcium Nitrate add Boron (.002 lbs/100 sq.ft) increases fruit set
Zn - Fe & Cu excessive
Mn & S in optimum range.
B tests marginal - boost every 7-10 days foliar starting 1-2 weeks before 1st bloom.

Day 35 bloom in PPK. I ran 600 PPM for majority of veg and stretch, then lowered to 400 PPM (240 Jacks, 160 PPM CalNit). I've replaced the solution about three times I believe, otherwise continual add back via gravity reservoir

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i built a 12 site 7 gal tuff tub system that i never got to fire up....... the time is here. cuts are rooting and the room is prepped. i never did find turface locally but if its easier to wash than floor dry i will get it. FD is a pain in the ass but it works well. i think im gonna start prepping my 6k 12 plant vert walls after seeing this thread. thanks for the inspiration guys

Attachments

• IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 12

DunHav`nFun

Well.....being that I`ve not cracked a bean nor rooted a cut in 5 yrs , I find it incumbent on myself to do a PPK at an undisclosed location for some headies .....

Much thanks to you D9 for allowing me to run a setup I don`t haveta worry about ph drift up from plants eatin , nor ppm`s droppin from bein used by the plants with auto topoffs since at best I`ll only be able ta visit once a week.....that said.....

With much thought on the laws in my state and the implications IF caught with my britches down and untimely incarcerated , I`ve decided to do 1 plant surrounded by 600`s and veg accordingly till large enough to provide enough arthritis and insomnia meds for my old ass and the lil GF at least for couple yrs since we MIGHT go through a 1/4 oz per week of gifted pre-98 Bubba......

At least with only 1 plant POSSIBLY a good lawyer stands a chance of keepin me outta jail till I croak....anyways....

Got a lil "timeout" from admin last week due to not playin well with the kiddie trolls , so I`ll be scarce around here since I call em like I see em instead of backin down from dumbass wannabe`s , so.....

Thanks again Bro for helpin another old fart in a non med state do a big plant grow like I used to , but without 24/7 constant maintenance needed with those dreaded krusty buckets....

Couldn`t go thru that again , but even though my boys on the left coast would send me care pkgs till I die for helpin em dial their shit yrs and yrs ago , I really do miss pumpin out da dank and it`s time to get rid of all these time tested proven beans of yesteryear and find the proper candidate with a massive pheno hunt....fuck....Did I say that out loud ?....:biggrin:.....

Ok....I`ll kill all the one`s not suited for my afflictions....well....maybe not...:moon:....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.....

bearded1

Last Post

Last Post

This is my last post. Harvest was good, so much, with so little effort. Thanks not only to D9 but to all those others who post threads about there ppk. I have read them all and learned so much. A PPK is so much easier and not as much a constant vigil. Smokes Damn Good to. I almost doubled my harvest. If your wondering about this, it works.

:woohoo::moon:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i built a 12 site 7 gal tuff tub system that i never got to fire up....... the time is here. cuts are rooting and the room is prepped. i never did find turface locally but if its easier to wash than floor dry i will get it. FD is a pain in the ass but it works well. i think im gonna start prepping my 6k 12 plant vert walls after seeing this thread. thanks for the inspiration guys

hey DH! with your skills you will kill it! I hope you do a thread.

i'll try to get up some pics of the cement mixer/turface cleaner in action. it cleans the turface so well that it does not even discolor the water on the first pass on start up.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Well.....being that I`ve not cracked a bean nor rooted a cut in 5 yrs , I find it incumbent on myself to do a PPK at an undisclosed location for some headies .....

Much thanks to you D9 for allowing me to run a setup I don`t haveta worry about ph drift up from plants eatin , nor ppm`s droppin from bein used by the plants with auto topoffs since at best I`ll only be able ta visit once a week.....that said.....

With much thought on the laws in my state and the implications IF caught with my britches down and untimely incarcerated , I`ve decided to do 1 plant surrounded by 600`s and veg accordingly till large enough to provide enough arthritis and insomnia meds for my old ass and the lil GF at least for couple yrs since we MIGHT go through a 1/4 oz per week of gifted pre-98 Bubba......

At least with only 1 plant POSSIBLY a good lawyer stands a chance of keepin me outta jail till I croak....anyways....

Got a lil "timeout" from admin last week due to not playin well with the kiddie trolls , so I`ll be scarce around here since I call em like I see em instead of backin down from dumbass wannabe`s , so.....

Thanks again Bro for helpin another old fart in a non med state do a big plant grow like I used to , but without 24/7 constant maintenance needed with those dreaded krusty buckets....

Couldn`t go thru that again , but even though my boys on the left coast would send me care pkgs till I die for helpin em dial their shit yrs and yrs ago , I really do miss pumpin out da dank and it`s time to get rid of all these time tested proven beans of yesteryear and find the proper candidate with a massive pheno hunt....fuck....Did I say that out loud ?....:biggrin:.....

Ok....I`ll kill all the one`s not suited for my afflictions....well....maybe not...:moon:....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.....

wow! I just got endorsed by DHF. we'll have to build a deluxe DHF signature model.

too cool!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
This is my last post. Harvest was good, so much, with so little effort. Thanks not only to D9 but to all those others who post threads about there ppk. I have read them all and learned so much. A PPK is so much easier and not as much a constant vigil. Smokes Damn Good to. I almost doubled my harvest. If your wondering about this, it works.

:woohoo::moon:

I sincerely hope this is not your last post!

thank you for trying this! all the best, d9!

Latest posts

Latest posts