What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Sweet" fixed my spotted leaves

MCMC

I went to the hydro store and bought sweet. It is Magnesium & sulfur with sugar. I was doubtful. I only have the base necessities. This is the first additive I have bought. The reason for me getting it was my last harvest.
My harvest was OK. It weighed around what it should. It just didn't have an extreme flavor to it. This might have been because of the strain and nothing else. I was going to just add sugar or SuCaNat. After reading the HT article called "Sweet Leaf", I was sold.
Not only does it add taste, it help growing as well. It is supposed to reduce Nitrogen stress in veg from high levels and during flowering with low levels.
I have to say that it has made my stems a little stronger and greened everything up like a dose of epsom salts.
I didn't know where to put this post.
Check this thread out to help me.. link to helping me with my coco mix

Last edited:

thc43

Veteran
in coco if you use a coco nute all the time you wont get spots and stains, the coco is buffered with cal/mag so its pretty hard to get your self into trouble.

over feeding may lock out mag likewise with fluctuating PH, great to hear your back on track keep all feeds consistant in strength and amount use only what you need dont be using additives designed for flowering while in veg and vice versa.

alot of the new additives im seeing of late in my area are silica + sugars or folic/ humic acids all great products but there not really new or ground breaking maby i vant get three products in one bottle but could get 3 different products to do a simular job..

products i couldnt do without

#rhizotonic
#canna zym bio bugs
#folic humic 1400
#and the big one budlink silica will be amazed if you arnt using silica or if nute doesnt have i added a few do but dont know how was told it doesnt mix will with other elements..
#pk 13/14
#dm foliar range.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Well, Botanicare were 'sweet' enough to post all the ingredients in their additive:
Sweet
NPK: 0-0-0
Contains: cane sugar, citric acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine, niacin, glycine, alanine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, serine, threonine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, asparagine, glutamine, lysine, arginine, histidine, cysteine, cystine, methionine, proline, phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan, Epsom salt, ferrous sulfate, agrimineral 76 micro complex.

It's basically a carbohydrate booster. The addition of magnesium (epsom salt) and iron (ferrous sulfate) is meant to boost chlorophyll production, although the formula as a whole seems axed at protein and enzyme functions. Plenty of essential, non-essential and non-protein amino acids (glycine, alanine, valine, cysteine, cystine, methionine, arginine, histidine, tryptophan, tyrosine, phenylalanine) for improved protein synthesis, plus vitamines (ascorbic acid, thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine, niacin).

So yes, it's a growth booster as well as sweetener.

in your opinion rosie, do you think those ingredients in Sweet (those that aren't just individually listed components of the soon to be mentioned whole) are worth the extra effort of using that and not molasses or one of the molasses/diy carb additive techniques?

i do hydro and organic soil, but i'm interested mostly RE: hydro.

thanks!

ps. do i recognize that grocers bag from OG?

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Yes casual grower, I brought the bag with me from OG. I can't really say if Sweet is worth it in comparision to molasses, based on its chemical formula. I can only see what it seems designed for.
Botanicare already have an excellent carbohydrate/amino acid/vitamine additive in Liquid Karma, my guess is they see this product as a complementary end flower additive, that not only keep the plants doped but also sweetens the crop a couple of weeks before harvest.
Blackstrap molasses is a good carbohydrate additive, and a also a good source of potash (K) and sulphur to the plants. If you're already running nutrients that cover all the plants needs and only looking for something to sweeten the smell of the buds, you might as well stick to molasses, since it's bound to be way cheaper than a high tech carbo additive.
Blackstrap molasses could be hard to work in hydro though, I haven't tried but I do think I've heard some growers say so.

MCMC

I thought sweet was just for the end, It's not

I thought sweet was just for the end, It's not

When I went to buy sweet I thought I was going to wait to use it. After reading the package, it suggest using it throughout the whole life cycle. I imagine they will sell lots more this way. It really did help also
After reading lots about sugar and brix I am convinced that you can do more for taste than just adding sugar. That is what it seems sweet is. Sugar+.
I plan on getting sugar as well as my sweet.

As far as using sweet at the end of life. I have been told to just flush in the last 2 or 3 weeks for the best flavor. Wouldn't adding sugar all the way up to the end help. I don't think that it would do anything except raise the brix levels which is extremely good at the end of budding when all those trichomes are swelling. I didn't plan on adding sweet till the end, but sugar, maybe.

That list of products to never go without is helpful.
I would appreciate anyone letting me know any good products they don't know how they lived without. I would also like any feedback on Sweet & heavy hydro-organic fertilizers. They are competitors of Pure Blend Pro and I don't ever hear anything about them. "Sweet & Heavy" And "Sugar Peak"
Anything will help, thanks

Truth

sweet does well for growth in any stage, and for fixing certain deficiencies, I've used it and noticed much frostier buds, in addition to flavor enhancements. very good for hydro applications. contains many goodies for the plants to take up. I was weary about it in the past, but after doing some research and experiencing it first hand, it definitely makes a difference even in small doses and in short periods of usage.

bazooka

sugar peak and probs

sugar peak and probs

I am on my first dwc grow and using Sugar Peak and having probs. see this link

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=52323

I was going to try cal-mag to see if that clears it up.

What does epsom salt do for the plants and same w/ h2o2? And if you think it will help, in what quantity would I use for hydro?

bazooka

sugar peak and probs

sugar peak and probs

I am on my first dwc grow and using Sugar Peak and having probs. see this link

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=52323

I was going to try cal-mag to see if that clears it up.

What does epsom salt do for the plants and same w/ h2o2? And if you think it will help, in what quantity would I use for hydro?

guineapig

Veteran
epsom salt is a source of Magnesium....

H2O2 i don't believe will be much help for you in this situation....

Do you have access to a good Cal-Mag product? If possible, i would suggest getting
the new Botanicare MagiCal, since i personally don't get good results with the Botanicare Cal/Mag product.....

This is gonna sound crazy but there is a bottled carbonated mineral water called "Sanfaustino" which is an amazing source of Mg and Calcium too.....spray it on the plants or pour it directly onto the medium(the pH is 5.9)....

I'm gonna try to find out more details about your problem here, bazooka...

:ying: guineapig :ying:

Last edited: