What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$#@& Help me figure out how the %$&@ I ruined seeds

S

stoned teacher

I'm telling you...I take two steps forward and one step back. Finally figured out the source of my nute def's, got a lot more conrol over grows, and how to successfully clone about 85% of the time, so I decide it's time to place a bigger seed order and play with more strains, knowing now if/when I find keepers it's for good...well......

Luckily I try to germ only half the seeds (5 out of each 10 pack), cause I believe I f-ed them up. This is the one part of growing I haven't had an issue with before!

It's winer here and my home is a little cooler than normal. First off, usually I put the seeds in the freezer a day before trying to germ...didn't this time (though the rest of the packs are now in there). Since it's colder, I want to make sure their nice n warm, so I wet the paper towel, put in a ziplock bag, and put them under a heating pad (what you use for a sore muscle) on the lowest setting. About two days later, most of them pop, with a little white inside the shell or just popping out a little. A few days later now, thats sill he condition their in :( No tail :(

Too much heat? Could something have happened to the seeds in transit (from seedbay) that messed them all up, although the packaging looked fine?

One of the packs (Rez quick mist Dies) I am trying to germ the other 5...this time did the shot glass w/ water thing, when the seeds sunk, I put them on moist towel in tupperware container on top of computer monitor (not quite as much heat as under a heating pad in paper towel in ziplock), and 1 day later, none have popped :(

Am I in the twilight zone? My $$$$$$ is being flushed down the toilet on the part of growing I haven't messed up before, now I'm second guessing myself and fearing that I'm going to blow an entire $200 order of seeds.

$#%& WTF am I doing wrong????

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Just use the Paper towel no heat. Mabe over the top of a refigerartor.
Keep em Moist not wet.
i never put mine in the freezer but don't think thats the problem.
Heat most likely did em in.

Sin

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
The freezer thing has me, You have put them in the freezer before?

I would think that killed them right off, you probubly just froze what ever mosture that was inside of them.

If it was done like that before and worked please just say STFU hydro(lol)

S

stoned teacher

Maybe I wasn't clear....I've put them in the freezer before germinating to store them...this time I hadn't. I thought I had read on here that this is the best way to store seeds, and somehow makes them think it's winter, then when they get moisture and warmth are more likely to sprout quickly. I don't believe I've ever lost a seed because I did put them in the freeze, but still no need for me to tell you to STFU...I appreciate all input.

Alrighty, I'm gonna do moisture no heat this time and hope for the best.

S

stoned teacher

Two of the newer Quick Mist Diesels I am trying to germ have begun to crack the shell.....:)

By the way...do you folks put them in soil once they crack and you can see a little white or do you keep em in the towel until you have a tail?

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
I wait for a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch tail, vbefore going in to either soil or my peat pucks.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Yeah like hydro said.
But watch out for the tails getting too twisted or long it makes it hard to get into the ( Place Medium here )

As far as freezing I have heard both good and bad about it. So I don't know 100%
But I never have, just put em in the refrig to store for long time.

Good Luck

Sin

budrezin

i had a problem like that "no tail just cracked open" it was because the paper towel was to wet. the other time it hapened it was because the seeds were shit.

G

Just went through this process. Got 11 of 11 to pop...10 in less than 2 days!! I also use paper towels with a heating pad but, i am very very careful how much heat gets to the seeds. You want to warm them just slightly. I fold up two towels & place them between 2 small plates facing each other. The seeds go between the towels & I wet them with bottled water. The plates are then set on a bath towel on top of the heating pad. I then check the seeds & paper towels every 4 -6 hours for moisture content, feel how warm the plates are & if the seeds have cracked open. When the seeds stick their foot out 1/8th inch or so they go in organic seed starter mix in 16 oz. cups & under 24/7 floros. Over the past several years using this method I've never had a seed fail to germinate.......so that's 40 or 50 successes in a row by now.

Hope this helps ya out.

Bh :wave:

PS. Just wanted to add: Since I don't seal things up in a container or plastic zip-lock bag & check them often, they are able to get some more oxygen.........this may be helpful for them.

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Once in a while I get a little sprout nub that doesnt want to form a good root tail so I'll take it and place the root nub between two paper towel folds and water it under the flo's. Takes em a few extra days but its better than takin the loss if you only have a few or paid lots of $$ for em.

S

stoned teacher

No tails yet on the second batch have come out :(

Am I in the f ing twilight zone or something???? This has never happened to me before.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Damn what strains and where did you get them? I saw Rez Sour Mist? Very very ODD.
Oh and how long have they been under the PT?

By the way bipedal's Plate and PT is the method I use.

Some people will soak the seeds untill they SINK then move them under the PT and slight heat.

Sorry for your troubles.
Let us know whats going on.
Rezdogs seeds Rock, strange.

Sin

badboyg

hmm I must be odd...

I soak my seeds 24-36 hours,, and plant them in vermiculite.. let them sprout normaly.. then once they are a few days up and looking ok.. i loosen the vermuclite and pull the sprout,, and drop in to my aro-cloner tub,, faten up and move to the clone tub,,,,

I have not ost any this way that was not my fault,, besides the bag seeds that did not pop..
\
good luck I am about to to do very much the same,... new genitics time.

S

stoned teacher

I'm just starting to think somehow, the transit or something fucked them. Still no sem growing out. Rez quick mist diesel, Mandala Kalichakra, the inexpensive SSH mix, freebie blockhead, and a pack of female seeds x line sour NL x Nevelles Haze...Oh I'm just pissed listing the genetics that have been wasted here....Oh and 5 freebie blockheads gone....

Still no tails. The second 5 quick mist diesels and kalichakras I did the shot glass till they sank, then put in moist paper towel on top of my compuer monitor (not even over the real warm part), a day later and no tails (usually when seeds work for me, after they crack, i have a tail coming out in half a day after that or less). The final female seeds and final 5 SSH's I just put in a moist paper towel on top of my computer last night....nothing as of yet.

I'm thinking somehow, someway, this whole cropp of seeds is just f$%cked. They're still in moist towels on my computer just in case their taking their time, but based on the first half of each bach and the way these are looking, looks like the same freaking situation. Can't blame a bunch of different reputable seed breeders...somehow, whether my user error or something in transit...somehow, they're fucked. $200 wasted. Guess I'll save up and try again.

Glad I didn't spring for the Destroyers.

Last edited:

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Stoned I am sorry for your loss.
I don't see where you did anything wrong..mabe the sock wamer on the 1st batch.
But other wise you did well.
I hope they pop soon.

Sin :(

G

Well I differ a lil bit from everyone else because I try to plant them as soon as they crack and it usually works. You have to be careful if you let tails develop in the paper towels as the have microscoptic hairs on them that get entangled in the paper towels and you can damage them without knowing it. Most of the time they'll recover fine but it can slightly retard their growth rate. I think the first batch that didn't sprout for you the heating pad was the culprit but I'm not so sure what's happening this time. I don't use anything for heat when I'm germining, I just put the paper towel in a baggie on a plate and stick it in my cupboard. I check it about every 12 hours and as soon as they crack I plant them crack side down. The only thing that you really have to watch out for when germing seeds is that the paper towel doesn't dry out. I'm hoping that you have better luck soon

S

stoned teacher

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna order more (not quite as much money to spend...won't be able to get the quick mist diesel this time, hope for another blockhead freebie, do he paper twoel method wih as minimal heat as possible.

Still no germing with this bach. Somehow, something happened to them.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i think you need to keep it simple when starting seeds. and i defo wouldnt freeze them!!
i use a little plastic container which i can close to stop them drying out, put tissue at the bottom, wet it, then put seeds in, then another layer of tissue and soak it, tip out any excess water then close it and leave it somewhere warm, like ontop of my monitor or airing cupboard. i add abit of water daily as it can dry out a little. but i dont need to do that much because they tend to all pop in about 12hrs :D

S

stoned teacher

Thats essentially the method I've always used with success (after the freezer) and for some reason went a lil warmer this time....(with the first half)...that is essentailly what I'm doing with the second half (on top of comuter monitor...some in tupperware as you described...some in ziplock baggy on top of monitor....to no avail....but i hear ya...next set of seeds I'll get and put right into the baggies or ziplock and on top of my computer monitor....

Latest posts

Latest posts