What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fems and Clones mothers

Hi All
So I've been reading lately that plants grown from feminized seeds don't make good clone mothers because they will suddenly and without stress or warning sprout male flowers and pollinate the room.

I just completed a pheno hunt with 65% regs and the rest fems and some of the fems happen to among the winners. Also, we noticed about 2:1 more instances of male flowers on the regs than on the fems, so about equal there.

My good buddy has been running clones from the same feminized Barney's LSD, and G13labs Pineapple Express for over 2 years without issue.

If the clones we flowered in the pheno hunt test didn't herm, is there any reason to think other clones from the same mom or her clones would be more likely to herm than clones from regs? (reputable breeders, sts method).

When we buy regs, how can we know there's no fem in the lineage that might cause similar problems?

Love to hear some informed opinions on this

Thanks

Mohadib

Veteran
Hi All
So I've been reading lately that plants grown from feminized seeds don't make good clone mothers because they will suddenly and without stress or warning sprout male flowers and pollinate the room.

That's BS to begin with!

The tendency to herm is a genetic trait that's inherited from the parents and therefor it can just as well occur with regular plants.

It's correct that in the beginning of the commercial production of feminized seeds a lot of these seeds expressed hermaphrodism because the doner-plants were stressed in order to produce pollen. This was working best with plants that already carried the tendency to herm.

As you already said, today's methods are different and so doner plants can be very stable in that respect and there's no reason to shy away from using them as mothers!

That's what I thought too...

That's what I thought too...

But I read this interview with Cannarado...

HT: So do you prefer fems over regs or vice-versa?

CG: Depends on what your ultimate goal is. With fems, you kind of know what your getting. You’re going to have that hermaphroditic tendency in that lineage, but your pheno variation is going to lean way towards the elite cuts you used to make those fems.

So now I'm more scared...I mean he sells a lot of fem seeds, so why would he assert that his best sellers are unstable...

Mohadib

Veteran
So now I'm more scared...I mean he sells a lot of fem seeds, so why would he assert that his best sellers are unstable...

Since he's talking acout "elite cuts" as parents of feminized crosses, I assume that what he's got in mind are mainly Chem-based cuts such as the Chems themselves, Sour Diesel, OG Kush etc., all of which are known to be more or less prone to hermaphrodism.

Of course with fem crosses that are suppose to directly combine two "elite cuts" there's no testing for sexual stability. And when you take a look at what Cannarado offers, you see most his strains are in fact Chem-based.

But that doesn't say anything about the sexual stability of fem crosses that are based on completely different lines and/or are more worked.

Latest posts

Latest posts