What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is big bud very mold resistant

G

Hello im just wondering if big bud has problems with mold alot cause im planning on putting them outdoors this year
thanks all
Pope

NPK

Nope, Big Bud doesn't tolerate mold well. From the Good Bud Guide:

This plant is very susceptible to mold, so keep relative humidity below 65% to ensure finish, removing any drying leaves immediately."

G

thanks you guys and hopefully i dont loose them all and that we have a normal summer this year normally its hot and dry but 2 years ago it was wet and cold its saposed to be hot and dry i really hope so thanks
pope

NPK

I've read such mixed reviews of Big Bud, from "very satisfactory smoke" to "not the greatest." Why does it have such a mixed rep? Do people tend to think a strain can't provide quantity and quality, or is the stuff really not very good?

G

thanks once again guys for all your help i am wondering also about npks question i have seen people post that it is a good quality smoke and have heard it isnt very potent from others also but i have heard that it is a really good smoke and gets you a good indy high well atleast i hope so thanks for any info
pope

NPK

Pope, I haven't smoked the stuff yet, but the afore-quoted "Good Bud Guide" says this about Big Bud:

When cut, the bud has an aroma of Juicy Fruit gum. It transitions to taste in a fruity, sweet flavor that leaves the palate with a cocktail of fruits like apples, pears and peaches. It has a very solid effect both in the head and body. With a heavy, sedative stone, it's excellent to wind down with at the end of the day or before bed or any recreational input. If required the effect is of long duration, when buds have been dried over four weeks in the dark.

I hope that's accurate, as I'm growing it myself.

G

yeah no kidding man i got a pm from a friend who says it like a 8 on a 10 potency scale for indy and i love indy way more then sativa so if you like indy it will be very good also heard it can be like grape tasteing so good luck to you and both of our grows
pope

G

Yup, i grew out the big bud too and while the yield was great the potency is not the best. There are better heavy producer plants out there too like Power Plant or chronic. When it comes to potency that is.
But big bud will get u high too, dont worry :wave:

G

thanks guys for all the help i hope i get a male of that ormy whitelable white skunk so i can make some crosses from this summer after all these are my only seeds for now besides bag
thanks once again
pope

Big bud is very susceptible to mold indeed, as NPK was saying before. you got to keep the humdity down below 60% day & night to not get the dreaded mold, nothing worse.

I once got some clones from some growers that had a big bud mother that was 10+ yrs old. Very nice plant big Fookin yeild, great taste, and good strength.
This plant was very sativa, and i believe this was what gave this one the good power behind it, also this one developed massive buds.
Im not jokin i hardly ever got to havest the main cola in one piece as the mold would kick in and force me to cut bits off.
I used to flower at 10" but cut all the side shoots off and flower SOG in flood & drain, it wasn't unusual to have 1 metre plants with one flower that was 75cm long, and that flower would be about 45-50 grams dry, like i said if you get could get it that far without mold.

Good luck

Peace

Thai Flowers

I still have good memories of that stuff, if you get agood one it will have a smell that you never forget,....

Jnicks

there are many variations in big bud due to the fact that it is a nirvana strain. all nirvana strains have several phenotypes and are not uniform. this is because they are mostly F1's and hybrids...

this is not to say you cant get some great plants and phenotypes from nirvana, its just more luck of the draw

peace
J

budchopper

big bud mould?

big bud mould?

bakedpope said:
Hello im just wondering if big bud has problems with mold alot cause im planning on putting them outdoors this year
thanks all
Pope
depends alot on the weather,there are sprays and soil
treatments rated safe for use on veggies you can use before
mould starts..go to garden center and read the labels..

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
As the others have said, fat chunky Indicas generally do not do well against mould, they physically trap too much moisture in the flowers, for outdoors you want a nice Sativa. From what I hear, big bud is probably worst than most other Indicas. If you are in the North, maybe Easy Sativa, most places south of Calais, I would try Kali Mist, it laughs at rain and finishes first week of November [N Spain] giving a truly connoisseur quality smoke. There is also a new "Quick Mist" that should finish earlier still.

Big bud is a tricky plant, due to the fact that it was originally clone only variety, all seed is "recreated" .... I was told by someone who knows that only 1/4 are big, 1/4 are potent and, as we all know, 1/2 are male.... so you need 32 BB seeds to stand an even chance of finding a "real big bud" female.

How many people growing it bought 3 or more packs and tried them out properly to find the real deal ?

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
NPK said:
I've read such mixed reviews of Big Bud, from "very satisfactory smoke" to "not the greatest." Why does it have such a mixed rep? Do people tend to think a strain can't provide quantity and quality, or is the stuff really not very good?

I think you'll get very mixed reviews on just about any strain, with a few exceptions. In general, young and unexperienced growers will use more superlatives than older, experienced growers. They get very satisfied when they get it right, and very disappointed when they fuck things up.

Many of my favorite strains - such as Blueberry, Haze, Thai and Nepalese Sativas - are low or average yielding, and I might have reasoned along that line (low yield=quality, big yield=quantity with less quality) once upon a time.
Then again, strains like Northern Lights, Skunk or White Widow are very generous in yield, and still among the heavy hitters out there, so I'd say that you can't really say.

One thing important to know is that it is the resin, and its combination/concentration of cannbinoids that make the high, not the flowers. A plant can produce a record amount of bud, if the resin doesn't follow it will only please the cash cropper.
But... a resin-covered plant does not always mean quality high. The most resin-covered bud I ever came across was sold to me by a NYC dealer. I thought I was in for a ride, but the high was dull, boring, with a very low ceiling. I've grown bud with almost no visible trichomes/resin which sent me through the roof.
So, there are several different factors to concider, and no winning formula IMO.
Maybe the mixed reputation of Big Bud depends on the fact that there are different varieties of Big Bud, just as there are different varieties of NL, Bubblegum, etc.
Of the Big Buds I've smoked, the Sensi Seeds version definitely outdo the Nirvana version in the psychoactive department. Also, there's a cut going around in the US called Salmon Creek Big Bud, which is said to be outstanding.
Also, heavy yielding strains like Big Bud are often cash cropper favorites, and could be badly grown, badly cured, which will add to the overall impression of the smoke.

Latest posts

Latest posts