What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Botanigard" anyone have any experience with it?

sprinkl

Veteran
It's a product based on the fungus Beauveria bassiana, which attacks a lot of harmful insects and then sporulates on them in optimum condition, limiting the need for multiple applications.
I just ordered the Botanigard 22 WP to Europe from an American site, with shipping it was still cheaper than if I bought it locally.

I was just wondering if anyone used it before and how succesfully, I can't seem to find much info on it and it's mostly aimed at professional farmers I get the impression.
It seems more useful to me than beneficial insects as I've got a small surface to work with and most such beneficials are sold in way bigger quantities than necessary.

sprink

sprinkl

Veteran
I finally received it a couple of days ago, it was quite an investment with shipping overseas and paying extra taxes to customs, you greedy bastards, but I think it'll last for a long time. Also got some humic acid and seaweed concentrates so shipping and taxes(almost €100 together) weren't solely for the Botanigard.

I got the Botanigard 22 WP, I added some to the watering rather than spraying it as I want to get rid of fungus gnats/root aphids/sciarid flies. I didn't dare add too much as it contains petroleum distillates and actually smells a bit fuelly, but I guess it won't hurt the roots?

Will update when things progress!

sprinkl

ballplayer 2

Please let me know how it goes. I have the Botanigard ES, but I have not used it yet. I am planning to add it in my rotation of products to hopefully fight off Root Aphids. I was planning on using it as a root drench (unsure what dilution rate yet, because of the Pet. Distillates). Also, if you use it as a foliar please let me know if you have any phytotoxicity issues.

Please update your progress with Botanigard, whatever the results are.

sprinkl

Veteran
I can order all the typical live beneficials at a supplier nearby, problem is those things can't be kept for longer than a few days, weeks max... This stuff can be kept for 2 years at least, I don't need to use much of it, it has a broad spectrum, so all considered is very cost effective.

So I added it 6 days ago and 2 days ago, I only added half a gram maybe, guessing by sight... Not much anyway.
It did strike me that no bugs came flying out my tent as I opened it 2 days ago, and even when taking out the pots and inspecting the plants, I had to look to find just a few!
Didn't expect it to be that effective so fast actually.
I will redose a few more times and keep you guys updated.

Biggs I contacted a dealer of "Koppert" in Europe but it was double what "Tampa Agricultural Products" asks. With shipping and taxes at customs the last turned out to cost a bit more -_-

sprinkl

Veteran
It doesn't kill off the population completely but keeps them under control very well, a one time small application(I just add the wetting powder to the watering as the bugs emerge from the soil) seems to be effective for a long time too. There's still some critters crawling around here and there but I grow organic and it feels to me as if my plants are feeling really good even with a few around.

Latest posts

Latest posts