What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

Stinkymutt

Gel or powder?

Gel or powder?

Thanks JJ I almost think the heat pad may be too warm then? Ill check with a thermo next week when I set one up. Too have you noticed a diff between gel and powder rooter? I have a crappy time cloning but my buddy does awsome . I think I try to cut a corner here and there and it shows. But I have had more success with powder. And one more thing how far into flowering do you feel is too far?
peace
Mutt

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have always used the rootone powder with fungicide.

I once took three clones off the bottom of a plant 2 weeks from harvesting. It took 30 days but 2 of the 3 rooted. Thet didn't look very well, but they eventually came back into it....

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Ooo good thats what I used, the powder with fungacide. So my clone should start perking up once it roots?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When it roots the leaves will begin to perk up again. You need to know that by the time it roots it may look pretty bad. The plant is going to feed off from itself until it roots. DO NOT think you are going to help it by soaking the soil. Just mist the plant a time or 2 a day and mist the inside of the dome. And keep the soil no more than damp. The moisture content is one of the main keys to successful cloning.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
JJS you ever tried just putting the cutting into one of those clear 10oz cups and putting a little foldtop ziplock around the cup/clone for 10-21 days?
Taking out the TP step from pellet into cup

Peace
bb

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have never done that, but I have used a 50/50 mix of perlite and soil with a cup over top. It didnt work well for me as they were to wet and a lot rotted.

G

hello JJ :joint: :joint:
very very nice thread my friend, way to TEACH brother.
respect much :joint: :joint:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is a pic of the clones I cut for this thread. I have kept them small waiting for room in the flowering area by keeping them in small containers. They will have to be transplanted within the next week though....

Deft

Veteran
So my single clone still has not rooted, I checked yesterday by diging down one side with the tip of a pencil and nothing... Should I apply more rooting hormone at this point? It is still alive and well but no roots yet. I added a heat pad under it with a towel wrapped around it to maybe aid in the rooting process.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can't go digging down into the soil to check. How long has it been now? Remember, it could take up to 3 weeks for them to root. Mist it, keep the dome misted and be patient....

Deft

Veteran
Well I did and all the rooting hormone had either been absorbed or is gone some how. Should I re apply or just leave it alone?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
baccas is correct. It has just soaked into the dirt. It is seriously important not to play around with them. Just keep them damp, mist the clone and dome, and have patience my friend....

Deft

Veteran
Well since I did play around with it should I re apply? The soil is moist and a little warm, should I let it air out a little?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just put it back in, press the soil so it seals around the stem and wait for it to root....

Deft

Veteran
Ok thats what I did when I put it back, sory for being so info hungry but I realy want this clone to survive!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It will survive if you keep the soil damp, keep the temps right and just leave it be. Another good reason for using the RR is you can see when they root. As hard as it is, the best thing is to leave it alone. It will root when it is ready....

G

I place the meat thermometer in the dome and keep the temps between 70 and 75. To much warmth will cause the stems to rot at the base and you can lose the entire lot very quickly.

I use Jiffy pellets in a dome and keep the heat mat set to 90... temps usually flux between 80-95 degrees with absolutely no rottage that you speak of... not only that but roots start showing in no more then a week even with a difficult strain.. maybe you should boost the temperatures a bit and see if it helps with rooting times.. there should be no reason why a clone cant put out roots in less then a week or two..

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a purplepower strain that 2 days at 85 degrees and they are dead. Cloning is like growing, plants are different. After you work with a strain enough, you learn its likes and dislikes.

I would never recommend anyone that hasn't tested a strain to leave them in 90 degree temps. And I will not agree that all strains will root in less than a week or two. I suggest starting with 75degree temps and after you learn their ways you can experiment a little, but 90 and 95 degrees is way to warm for any strains that I have....