What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Bio Flores - Adjust Ph?

I want to use Canna Bio Flores outdoors but have noticed that it is very acidic.

Would it be a good idea to adjust the Ph before using to prevent acidic buildup in the soil? Would this affect the fertilizing efficiency?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
In related news..
I used RO and my usual 1part and saw PH around 4.0 which the coco plants liked, once I stopped correcting it. The run-off was about 7 iirc.

I was simply seeing the PH of the components, as the RO has no buffering action. The food isn't even a thousandth of the feed though. What's in your substrate is a much bigger part of the recipe. Some of which gets used up, which your replacing. So while it may seem your slowing acidifying the medium, you may actually be stopping it getting more alkaline.

I'm just using a little reasoning, not solid science. But many people use that food believing that to correct PH for soil is wrong. So that's a lot of testing right there.

browntrout

Veteran
I noticed the same thing, right down to 4.00-4.15 on RO. I added a little cal-mag and PH'd it to around 5.5 IIRC. The bottle only says that it does not need to be acidified, however it says nothing about using PH up. Kinda strange.

I use recharge so PH swings don't bother me as much, I run anywhere form 5.4-6.6.

This was the first time and only using it in combo with GH Bio Thrive grow for transition. I'm using pro-mix and everything is going extremely well.