What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your Estimate - How long will the US Gov. Shutdown Last ?

St. Phatty

https://www.google.com/search?q=federal+shutdown+2019

Dang I would like to know what the odds are in Vegas about the Shutdown.

https://www.google.com/search?q=federal+shutdown+2019+Odds+Las+Vegas

Digging for information - which is sort of why I'm posting about it.

I think at this point this is the longest ever shutdown.

I'm sure there's some historical precedent that applies, but not sure what it is.

Are there any hard & fast dates when it has to be solved by, like Valentine's Day, or St. Patrick's ? Well I'm kidding about those 2 days.

I just figure there's some hard limit buried somewhere.

Like, Federal funding for Trump's favorite soap opera runs out February 22, or something.

On the other hand, I think he'd go without his favorite soap opera to spite the Democrats.

I wonder if there is a history of Trump's Fights with his Wives that might help us understand how long his game of Chicken with the Democrats will last.

Since the wall is involved, and I don't know much about the Wall ...
is anything happening that will lead to an end to the Shutdown ?

I will go for a middle time Estimate and guess 6 weeks.

I guess it started Sat. Dec. 22.

Gry

MASHUP - Tear You Apart + Bela Lugosi's Dead

[youtubeif]_ohNKjoJpxA[/youtubeif]

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
I think it will drag out for another few weeks to a month. The government is on some sneaky shady shit, and it's not all about "the wall"...

OP

White Beard

I think it will keep going until he’s afraid enough of an angry public to declare that state of emergency...could still be awhile.

St. Phatty

I think it will keep going until he’s afraid enough of an angry public to declare that state of emergency...could still be awhile.

So if he declares a state of Emergency, then the TSA people & federal firefighters & everybody who has been furloughed the last 3+ weeks, they will start getting paychecks again ?

I wonder if they get pay for the down-time.

I think he likes the angry public. He enjoys pissing off people he doesn't like.

Is there a sort of "preparation time" involved in getting the shutdown resolved ?

Or will it happen, overnight ?

I think normally you can see the resolution coming, by at least a few days.

Nancy Pelosi shaves her legs, so she is presentable for the next Oval Office staredown, SOMETHING.

I don't see any movement now, for getting things worked out by Saturday Jan. 19, which will be the 4 week mark.

If it goes much beyond 5 weeks and eats into the federal wildfire managers' season any more than that ... Wow ... No Federal Cavalry for California, Oregon, & Washington.

I wonder if there's any genuine benefits to the shutdown, like genuine money savings. Actually, I think the TSA & DHS are useless, so them losing their salaries may be progress.

It sounds like the military is still getting paid.

I asked as many questions about the shutdown, as I could, of the retired firefighter I bought the pet carrier from on Sunday.

Me "When does it (the shutdown) get fvcking serious wildfire-wise ?"

Him "It's already fvcking serious".

He kind of went off on another tangent, and started talking about the Coast Guard shutdown, etc.

Personally I don't have any problem with the Coast Guard standing down. But he did.

Of course, when you buy a pet carrier, you only get to ask so many questions.

'Boogieman'

When the Dems agree to fund the wall, I don't think he will declare a state of emergency as that will become a court battle.

X

xavier7995

I don't really see an end in sight. Dems have no reason to buckle and caught a lot of flack when they folded on the DACA issue. Given that trump will accept nothing less than them completely folding, compromise probably isnt going to come from his end. Polling seems to lay the shutdown blame on the Republicans, trumps quote that he would be happy to own it makes it hard to argue otherwise as did walking out of that meeting when dems didnt immediately cave. I can see dems going for some sort of deal, but trumps going to have to give them a lot and he doesn't seem to have a clue on how to cut a deal. Cutting off assistance programs might piss off enough poor people from both parties to spur action, or it starts hitting the economy and makes rich people mad. We could start seeing a bunch of stories regarding people losing housing as they cant pay. Fuck the TSA and HMS, but from what i gather they arent showing up to work so weakened security leading to a terrorist attack could do it.

Mostly neither side has felt much pain from it so they have no reason to deal.

mayorofthdesert

i bet the mexican cartels are loving this. i'm not actually sure how this effects border patrol or fbi but if it does trump should be proud. of course it's the dems fault. i'm not actually opposed to walls in the spots where they make sense but this is childish.

Gry

When one looks at the history of 'incursions' there,
little doubt is left about how the powers that be
feel about issues such as sovereignty.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Trump has little to do with the shutdown. Mitch McConnell could reopen the government tomorrow by allowing a vote on the bills to fund the government that the Senate has already said they would pass (without wall funding), but he won't allow the vote to come to the floor and has gone back to Kintucky to hide.

He will keep the government shutdown until such time as he believes it will endanger his power as majority leader and until then he will hide in the shadows and let Trump do his media circus act and take the heat.

For the die hard Trump fans who believe he controls everything, go back to civics class and remember that Congress is a coequal branch of government. It has simply been crippled by the inept leadership of Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and the rest of the dipshits we've elected to Congress for the last decade.

McConnell may be the most evil anti American politician in modern history. I would surely like to know who funds his actions.

St. Phatty

Aren't most federal government workers Democrats?

I think more ICMag members should apply to government positions.

Especially at the DEA & ATF.

Transform from within.

Read shutdown news this AM. Nothing on the horizon, in terms of ending the Shutdown.

Plenty of other stuff on the horizon !

I'm waiting for the unexpected Make-Nice-Moment, Shakey-Shakey (shake hands that is).

I don't think a sudden Make-Nice-Moment is a realistic expectation, though.

So it's looking 4 to 6 weeks, and the big question - is Trump actually Stupid enough to extend the Shutdown to the SOTU speech ?

(I think he is. As are the California, Oregon, and Washington Dem's, and the Arizona & New Mexico & Colorado Dems, all of whom depended on Federal wildfire people last share. California obviously needed it the most.)

Are they really THAT stupid ? They really ARE that stupid.

If there is any "Hail Mary", I wouldn't be surprised if it came from California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

At some point he will go ape-shit because he will realize that CalFire needs the Federal Government. Maybe Oregon's Governor will join in.

Do any of those people realize how they will look at the end of the year if the West Coast has a normal wildfire season ?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On and on until the Police force seriously intend to go on strike,,,s2